Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 31, 2020, 11:11:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Last trip to the beach

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last trip to the beach  (Read 328 times)
Justin

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:24 pm »

I've been lucky enough to get an awesome job in Olympia and I am moving to Washington next month! While I have been assured that there are many new rock hounding opportunities for me up there I have to give up the ones I have come to know in Humboldt County.

So, I made a trip today out to one of my favorite beaches. This one has special significance because it is where I my rockhounding career started, and it is also where I scattered my Mother's ashes.

The day was great. I did not get many rocks, but I got to enjoy it one last time, and I scrambled up the peak at the north end (location hint!) to snap some good pictures.

The rocks that I did get were some nice beach agates, as well as a piece of what looks like brecciated wood. The other really cool thing that I go to see were baby mussels (I think growing on the rocks).

* beach.JPG (168.74 KB, 800x600 - viewed 10 times.)

* peak.jpg (113.63 KB, 450x600 - viewed 10 times.)

* knife ridge.jpg (130.54 KB, 450x600 - viewed 10 times.)

* view from the top.jpg (223.77 KB, 800x600 - viewed 11 times.)

* baby mussells.jpg (131.32 KB, 450x600 - viewed 10 times.)

* agates.jpg (94.17 KB, 450x600 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:42:55 pm »

Great beach and nice stones. Get your beach agates down south as they are much more rare up here but the jade and jasper make up for it. A warning though - Olympia has mud beaches.
Report Spam   Logged

Justin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:18:11 pm »

Thanks Frank. That was pretty much my last shot at beach agates. It's okay. I have a large fish bowl full of them. As much as I like beach agates, I have come to prefer the larger breccciated jaspers of the rivers. What you see there is about one hours worth of searching compared to the truckload of jasper I would have gotten from an hour at the Van Duzen. Another place I will miss.
I did spend a few days in Olympia after the job interview, and saw that the beaches were mud. I figure it's kind of equivalent. The beach closet to Eureka has no good stones. I had to drive almost an hour to get to the beach you see in the photos. I'm guessing it's the same up there. Drive about an hour to the ocean.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you, when I get settled. I can hike a ways for jasper so I'm game for whatever you are willing to show me. Jade and Jasper definitely appeal to me.
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:43:09 am »

This will be an early year for visiting Mt. Rainer. You are quite close  and the access by car to  pretty far up the mountain is easy and safe. The wild flowers in mid to late summer stunning and as the talus fields melt off in late summer you can hike quite high without the danger of going on glaciers or snowfields. The last 4, 000 feet or so of the mountain is technical climbing and there is a guide service with equipment rental but it is  a serious place where many people have been killed in crevasse falls, avalanches , rock falls and plain old being buried in their tents when many feet of snow fall in a night. That place puts people in their place. Hood canal area first possibly , all according to the precipitation as the roads along the canal ( actually a fiord ) are under water many times a year. Good to have some new blood up here soon.
Report Spam   Logged

gjones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »

Thanks for sharing your photos!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum