General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:45:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

NEW FIND GREEN GEM SILICA/SANDBLASTED

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW FIND GREEN GEM SILICA/SANDBLASTED  (Read 576 times)
lopacki

« on: March 14, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »

While at the Tucson show one of the vendors across the way from us came over to our room while I was talking to a customer and dropped a pretty good size rock in my sweatshirt pocket. After the customer left I pulled it out and was amazed at what I saw, a pretty good size piece of what my friend was advertizing as “Green Gem Silica”.

I had seen the ad the first day of the show and walked over to Bob’s room and asked to see some of this new material. He told me that some Koreans had come two days prior and bought all he had, but not to worry because he had more coming in a day or two. After Bob left the rock and I examined it carefully and decided I best get over to his room as soon as possible. I was blessed in the fact that I got first pick on this new load. I purchased four pieces with bead making in mind.

Also at the show another friend of mine showed me a large piece of Chrysoprase that had been sand blasted by a powder spray company that is next door to his company. Thomas as with us all had always ground all of the thick brown layer off so he could see what he had to work with. Well the people that sand blasted this piece for Thomas told him he owed them nothing because it hardly took any time. Literally all of the outer stone was gone and all you could see was green Chrysoprase.

Shortly after I got home I searched online for a sandblaster and found one that Harbor freight had, that had good reviews online. I got a 40 pound capacity sand blasting cabinet delivered for 187.00. It took a bit of time to get it set up properly and I just fired it up today. Below I have posted an image of one of the Green Gem Silica before and after for you to see just what an aid a sandblaster can be. I used 80 grit silica sand so it did not cut that well, I plan on trying other media and will keep you all posted on what I find works best.

All my best ............... Danny

P.S. I took me less than ten minutes to get this stone cleaned this much.

* green.jpg (348.08 KB, 1001x2600 - viewed 83 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:42:46 pm »

Interesting to see how it cuts and polishes!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Debbie K

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:31:18 am »

Daniel:

What a beautiful color! Looks like it may not have many inclusions. Where is this gem silica coming from? I've been looking for some for a while without any luck. I had my friends look for some in Tucson and they didn't find any.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with it.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
lopacki

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:17:13 am »

Debbie,
The material came from the Bagdad mine in Arizona. As I was lucky enough to pick first this is very nice with little to no inclusions.

The color of the few cabs my friend had was almost what could be called teal. I am in the process of making a new bead fixture for my bead grinding machine and once its done I assure you that one of the first beads I make with it will be this material. I will post anything I make from this wonderful rare stone.

All my best .......... Danny
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:02:33 pm »

Danny I love this idea:) And what a beautiful color rock:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Mark

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 06:40:48 pm »

Wow.  Nice stone.  You did a great job sandblasting off the crud. I have some chrysoprase and other stones that could use a sandblasting, though i imagine that with the low quality stone that it is, there would be nothing left after the sandblasting. 

The last few years i have missed out on the new stones that always turn up at Tucson, because of the work situation.  Hopefully this year there will be some left when i finally get the bills paid off. 

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

finegemdesigns

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 05:55:08 pm »

That material looks like Mtorolite from Africa.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:32:28 pm »

You are right, it does look like Mtorolite from Africa (chrome chalcedony).  I have gotten a few pieces over the years and most of what i have seen, has a slight bluish tint.

Here's a few links to pics:

http://www.mindat.org/min-39291.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rough-Mtorolite-Chrome-Chalcedony-from-Zimbabwe-732-grams-/331264696784

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_chalcedony

https://www.google.com/search?q=mtorolite+chrome+chalcedony&biw=904&bih=541&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1RcKVdGEJYLksATUt4KYCg&ved=0CDUQsAQ

Report Spam   Logged

finegemdesigns

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:06 pm »

Check out the crust on this material that was just posted on another thread:

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,17205.0/topicseen.html

Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:47:20 am »

You are right, it does look like Mtorolite from Africa (chrome chalcedony).  I have gotten a few pieces over the years and most of what i have seen, has a slight bluish tint.

I was also thinking that it does not look like the chrysoprase I have seen, which is more glowy mid-green, or else yellowish green if lesser quality, but it's usually not nearly that dark, and not usually that thick. I tend to see chrysoprase in thinnish flattish sheets almost when it has its crust, rather than bubbly and thick like these pieces. However, these do look like amazing stones.
Report Spam   Logged
ileney

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:02:34 am »

While at the Tucson show one of the vendors across the way from us came over to our room while I was talking to a customer and dropped a pretty good size rock in my sweatshirt pocket. After the customer left I pulled it out and was amazed at what I saw, a pretty good size piece of what my friend was advertizing as “Green Gem Silica”.

I had seen the ad the first day of the show and walked over to Bob’s room and asked to see some of this new material. He told me that some Koreans had come two days prior and bought all he had, but not to worry because he had more coming in a day or two. After Bob left the rock and I examined it carefully and decided I best get over to his room as soon as possible. I was blessed in the fact that I got first pick on this new load. I purchased four pieces with bead making in mind.

Also at the show another friend of mine showed me a large piece of Chrysoprase that had been sand blasted by a powder spray company that is next door to his company. Thomas as with us all had always ground all of the thick brown layer off so he could see what he had to work with. Well the people that sand blasted this piece for Thomas told him he owed them nothing because it hardly took any time. Literally all of the outer stone was gone and all you could see was green Chrysoprase.

Shortly after I got home I searched online for a sandblaster and found one that Harbor freight had, that had good reviews online. I got a 40 pound capacity sand blasting cabinet delivered for 187.00. It took a bit of time to get it set up properly and I just fired it up today. Below I have posted an image of one of the Green Gem Silica before and after for you to see just what an aid a sandblaster can be. I used 80 grit silica sand so it did not cut that well, I plan on trying other media and will keep you all posted on what I find works best.

All my best ............... Danny

P.S. I took me less than ten minutes to get this stone cleaned this much.

That is a great looking stone, but much darker than I usually see in chrysoprase. Oddly, I have just two finished stones right now and they are both at the extremes of light color and dark for chrysoprase IMO. I also had a piece of rough that I think of as typical of the Australian chrysoprase. It was bought decades ago though. I've attached pictures.

* IMG_3403.jpg (106.42 KB, 480x640 - viewed 6 times.)

* IMG_3401.jpg (103.16 KB, 480x640 - viewed 8 times.)

* IMG_3402-2.jpg (95.12 KB, 480x640 - viewed 8 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
lopacki

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:48:26 am »

When I saw finegemdesigns images of the Mtorolite he had purchased I thought it looked a lot like this stone I posted. Perhaps the person that sold it to me made up a story regarding where it came from although I do not think he is that type of a person. I will try to contact him and see what he has to say when I tell him what we are discussing on the forum. Thank you all for your feed back.

Whether or not it is Mtorolite the pieces I purchased are very saturated in the color distribution so this in itself makes it above most pieces I see online. I am still most pleased with the stone.

All my best ...... Danny

P.S. I just shopped this material on Ebay and I am 99.9 % sure this person made up a story regarding what he sold to me.
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 04:38:20 pm »

Danny:

My Mtorolite is red under a Chelsea filter. My gem silica isn't. A specific gravity or a RI won't do us much good as both are quartz, but a gem silica with a lot of chysocolla in it might be a little denser.

I'm trying to find out if there is any distinctive banding in a spectroscope examination for gem silica; no luck so far. If it's Mtorolite, the chromium ought to show up as a strong doublet in the deep red; blurred doublet if it's dyed.

Whatever it is, it's very pretty. I love chrysoprase and chrome chalcedony and gem silica, and I like them all equally. Someone gave me a piece of really fine, translucent serpentine yesterday and it's every bit as pretty as my best nephrite, it just won't wear as well. Whatever you have, it's likely to be hard enough to do most anything with and I think that's all that really matters.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
john likes rocks!

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:15:34 pm »

Danny if it is mtorolite some of the piece will have a layer of nice green gel chalcedony on top, the layer below will be thicker and have more druzy pockets.
I bought a batch direct from Africa and it looks like they high grade (and keep) the pieces with the best green gel layers. The rough has crystal impressions
on top and bottom ... but the impressions are of 2 different crystal types.

I really like the large pieces you were able to buy I suspect it is mtorolite, great find.

John
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 06:33:45 pm »

No matter which stone it turns out to be, it is a great chunk of rock and i envy you.  I  bought a bag of some cheap stone around 10 years ago.  It was one of those ebay deals where you get like a pound of stone like blue calcite or yellow or green for like $5.  I believe it was listed as Apatite and though it was cheap, it is a gorgeous lite medium color of aqua blue.  For the most part the pieces are not large, but they decently sized for jewelry and are relatively inclusion free.  I could easily see someone passing them off as a lighter gem silica or even a sweet aquamarine if you faceted it.  It makes beautiful jewelry and is a cheap stone.  There are many cases where cheap stones are really gorgeous versus things like Diamonds that exist by the billions and are priced crazily due to propaganda from the diamond companies.  If it makes you smile, who cares what it is.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website