General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 17, 2019, 12:44:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Update: bought a Lortone ST-10 (or LS-10?) slab saw - advice needed!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update: bought a Lortone ST-10 (or LS-10?) slab saw - advice needed!  (Read 883 times)
Talusman

« on: March 07, 2015, 12:48:40 pm »

help

An old Lortone ST-10 showed on on craigslist and I'm driving out to check it out tomorrow. A couple of questions:

1.) Any price range advice? He's asking $400 for the ST-10 plus a 6" lortone trim saw. I asked if he'd sell the 10" separately and he agreed - so highest would be less than $400, but is that still very high assuming it's in good shape?

2.) How easy is it to source parts like bearings and housings for these saws? I assume I could buy a replacement motor if needed... how much might that run?

I don't want to sink too much into a project, but it seems like a cool little saw that might help me slab some of the smaller pieces I find/have.

Any other advice or "gotchas" to look out for in "vintage" saws would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
Report Spam   Logged

light house jack

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »

I have purchased and sold a fair amount of saws over the past several years. In my opinion, anywhere near $400.00 for even both of those saws is WAY high. If you found a  vintage 10" Highland Park or Covington you can often pick these up for less than $200.00. In fact, if you lived near me, I could give you a 10" Covington with a new blade for $175.00.  I have both of these and they are absolute tanks. In my opinion, Lortone is built no where near as solid. I strongly recommend that you look for a used Covington. They still have all the parts and if you call them about a 1960's saw, they will treat you just like you just purchased a new saw from them. They make you feel like you are their only customer.  So, back to the Lortone. If you need new bearings and a new blade and if you pay in the $400.00 range the math just does not add up. 
Report Spam   Logged

john likes rocks!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 01:15:49 pm »

Not a bad investment @ $300- $400, rock saws hold their value it seems.

Check the power feed motor, and for worn out bushings.

I have always been able to find free motors for lapidary equipment, friends who have them laying around unneeded.

Yeah that is a cool saw.

Good Luck!
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 01:22:14 pm »

Equipment companys that sell for less than Lortone come and go, but IMHO Lortone is the absolute bottom of what is really useable.  It will work and you can even use it for a long time, but there are much better saws out there.  At that price I would keep looking.
Report Spam   Logged
Talusman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:33:39 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks for the input so far. Are these comments regarding this model in particular or the Lortone brand in general? I've read some high praise of the older ST-10s so am interested in any experience with this model.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
Report Spam   Logged
Talusman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »

Oh, and LHJ - if I were nearby that saw would be mine :)
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »

i don't understand these comments.

if it is older it is likely the ls-10. there is often confusion. the one that is cube shaped with motor on top. people love those. people here love those.

even if not a ls-10, $400 for two saws is a good price - especially if has motors or blades with some life. no way it is "way high". there are threads here saying used ls-10 for $300 is a good price, and they sell on ebay for 500-550.

i bought used 10 beacon/starr for $140 at madras pow-wow in 2009, with no motor or blade or powerfeed or vise. . if a 10" saw has vise, motor, blade, then even manual feed is worth $275-$325. powerfeed add $50/75. good condition/clean can add a little too.

anyway, you can get bearings easy.

check sold listings on ebay
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

gemfeller

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks for the input so far. Are these comments regarding this model in particular or the Lortone brand in general? I've read some high praise of the older ST-10s so am interested in any experience with this model.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Some people who've never used this Lortone saw may be misinformed.  I've owned and used one for 25 years and it's a wonderful saw.  Some other Lortone equipment falls into the "economy" class and isn't so great and there's no question that older big-brand saws like some of those mentioned are fine equipment.  But Lortone got it right with the ST-10.  It's a bit balky in the oil-change department because of the heavy motor on top but there are work-arounds.  In all I think it's an ideal saw for the small shop where there's no need to cut big rough.  Mine produces quality slabs up to around 3.5-inches deep  far faster than I can cab them.

I agree with Daniel that $400 for two saws isn't a bit out of line assuming they're fully-equipped and in good mechanical condition.  My ST-10 even came with a trim saw table which can replace the vise. 

Just my opinion based on actual experience.   
Report Spam   Logged

Talusman

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:52:08 pm »

Thanks all,

These are older with the green finish. The seller says they haven't been used in 20 years. He's the second owner- bought them 10 years ago and never got around to using them. Tough to tell condition from the images but it does have powerfeed, motor, cover, blade, vise and stand. I'm driving out to take a look tomorrow - we'll see how I do.

-Jeremy
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »

Daniel is correct.  A member here on this forum paid me $350 for one plus freight. (a lot of freight)
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
dickb

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:53:39 pm »

If you feel that he is asking to much, offer less, where your comfortable buying it. Most likely, it will need work to get it up and running. if your giving $300.00 for the 10" and $100.00 for the trim saw, I don't think your getting ripped off unless it is just junk. Good luck negotiating and I hope it goes well for you.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

finegemdesigns

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 09:13:53 pm »

Not sure what is going on here but I've had my blue LS-10 for 30 years and it still works well. I have had to replace bearings and bushings and an occasional switch but this is to be expected with wear and tear. And Lortone even made me a new vise assembly for this saw last year. They still have (at least as of late 2014) parts for this saw.

The design is good. The only weak spot is the drive rod in the vise. It is steel going into the aluminum of the vise and wears down the hole. I have a video which shows how I fixed this issue:

When you go to see the saw make sure you wiggle all the moving parts like the vise and arbor. See if there is any movement and how much. Also see if he will actually show something being cut and check how square the slabs are. Lastly check for the obvious stuff like corrosion and broken and cracked parts like the hood.

A good motor and blade also add value so factor that in also. If it checks out you could offer $300 and see what happens.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:17 pm »

if the guy never got it running in 10 years, you wont get a demo.

if the bearings turn smooth by hand, $300 to $375 is a good price.

personally I would take the both for $400. it is a reasonable price and no reason to rip the guy off - that may be you one day
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Talusman

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 06:29:09 am »

Thanks to all - good advice here.

No cutting possible - he's never bought oil for it. He said he ran it and his wife said it was noisy. I'll check bearings, bushings and the vise components pointed out in the video (thanks!).

Definitely not looking for a steal - just a good idea of value. If it seems to have issues from sitting for so long I may offer a little lower to account for work/parts that may be needed to get it running. There's a little more risk being that I can't see it work, which I believe should be reflected in price vs. a "daily driver".

Thanks again for the good info, I'll report back how it turns out.

-Jeremt
Report Spam   Logged
catmandewe

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:19 am »

That is a decent price, if you decide you don't want it then pick it up for me and I will send you the money.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website