General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 22, 2019, 01:09:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Want to buy a rolling mill...but which one? No idea about them

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to buy a rolling mill...but which one? No idea about them  (Read 498 times)
Nirena

« on: February 20, 2015, 06:13:08 pm »

I'm looking into getting a rolling mill...I want a really good one but not willing to spend over 400 for one. Does anyone here have experience using them? Which ones are good or bad? I also want to use it for wire. Honestly I don't know a thing about them. What qualities should I be looking for? I want to use it to pattern metal and shape wire....thanks!

Nirena

I need to do more research.   dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:17:43 pm »

Nirena:

If you find a really good one for $400 or less, I want one too! The only ones I've seen approaching that price point are Chinese knock-offs. Gosh knows what the platens are made from. Maybe they're really great and just cheap, but I'd wait to hear from someone who's actually purchased one and is happy with its performance.

Seriously, it's a matter of getting what you pay for. You might get incredibly lucky and find one on Craig's List or a garage sale where the person selling it doesn't know what it's worth, but most of us don't have that kind of luck.

Have you considered using a hand crank pasta machine? They're easy to locate (most Goodwill or thrift stores), and if you set it on the thick setting and run things thru sandwiched in thin steel plates, they don't work too badly for the application you are wanting to achieve. I've used one to flatten copper and silver wire (annealed) and it worked fairly well. The limitation is the lack of fine adjustability for thickness and the narrow working width of a pasta machine. I've even used one to crush glass for enameling. I bought two cheap, flat, stainless steel spatulas and cut off the angled handles and sandwiched the glass, taped the sides and ran it thru and it worked great.

You could also achieve a lot of patterns with just a hammer. Take a look at the patterned hammers on Rio Grande's website. http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Texturing-Hammer-with-Ten-Interchangeable-Faces/112058?Pos=14 Most of those hammers you could make yourself with a dremel, diamond or stone burs or cut-off wheels, and of course a hammer (think garage sales). You can flatten the wire with a planishing hammer, or for that matter, a regular hammer. Just remember that every imperfection in the hammer face will transfer to the metal.

Hope this helps you some.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:33:24 pm »

"good" ones are 700 to 1800. sorry.

you can get high carbon steel rollers made in India for about $400, sometimes $339 on sale. Often found on ebay. You have to keep dry (or oiled) to prevent rust.

I have one. Works OK.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:27 am »

(We got one off ebay from ronsrocks about 3 years ago. Don't use it much but never any problems. Came with the different rollers. Around $200
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Debbie K

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:51:44 pm »

I know your responses were meant for Nirena, but thanks, both of you, for your feedback about the inexpensive rolling mills. I've been afraid to buy one thinking that they may not be that good, but not so much anymore.

Was the one from Ronsrocks from India too? I've had good luck with Indian and Pakistani tools and I don't mind carbon steel.

Debbie K

P.S. Looked for Ronsrocks on Ebay, he's not there anymore. Dang!
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:21:19 pm »

Mine did come form Ron. But it was like $278after shipping.

He has listed some for $204 plus $43 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rle-80mm-ROLLING-MILL-with-5-DIFFERENT-ROLLERS-BRAND-NEW-/131330295288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e93e545f8
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »

Mine did come form Ron. But it was like $278after shipping.

He has listed some for $204 plus $43 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rle-80mm-ROLLING-MILL-with-5-DIFFERENT-ROLLERS-BRAND-NEW-/131330295288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e93e545f8

Looks like the one we received.!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:22:12 pm »

I got this one (India manufactured).
http://www.utopiatools.com/12-x-14-x-9-Combination-Rolling-Mill-with-5-p/sku13871.htm

It has worked fine with no problems.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

Debbie K

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge! I really appreciate the information.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
redrockrods

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:52:51 am »

I own this one: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Durston-100mm-Flat-Rolling-Mill/113526?Pos=15

large flat area for rolling and texturing metals, and side rollers for rolling out D wire for rings. It's one of the best tools I've ever purchased.
Report Spam   Logged

Trails

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:56 am »

I bought one of those cheapo India 80mm mills about a year ago and been one of the best additions to the werkshoppe. Someone dropped off near 100lbs of 6g copper wire and instead of scrapping it to buy wire, I bought the blue 68lb chunk of grease-covered metal so I could mill it down to what I needed. I shopped around amazon for a few days and finally found one for 200$ with free shipping, from India. Came rolled up in grease-covered bubble wrap, stuffed within five boxes, two which had metal frame straps... and I though watching the mailman carry it was funny.

Anyways, word of advice if you shop for one on amazon, is to really pay attention to what rollers they are selling with it. There's a handful that come with only half-tri, flat and two pattern design rollers, instead of the other half-tri so you can roll out square. But then again it's all on how you want to use it.. I wanted wire.

It's not much of an ingot roller, the teeth on the gears seem to wear a bit more, and yes.. keep it well oiled, at least in Florida.

The pro, it was only 200$ and has well paid for itself at this point. Also real easy to take the crank off, slap a power drill with a 5/16 chuck into a foot-pedal controller and brace it into crank fed gear. Otherwise, 3:1 ratio is a workout.

Tay
Report Spam   Logged

Tay
39don

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:14 am »

My rolling mill is from India with the 5 rolls. I purchased it a few years ago for around $250 & free shipping. I like the gear safety covers, which should be a must on all mills, on mine.

Great heavy little mill.

39don
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 05:37:37 pm »

My rolling mill is from India with the 5 rolls. I purchased it a few years ago for around $250 & free shipping. I like the gear safety covers, which should be a must on all mills, on mine.

Great heavy little mill.

39don

Hi Don,
I got a Durston 130mm Combo - http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Durston-130mm-Combination-Rolling-Mill/113514?Pos=2 and it came with 'gear safety covers' which threw me at first because the one we had at school didn't have it.
Why do you like that?
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

39don

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:46 pm »

Great heavy little mill.

39don

Hi Don,
I got a Durston 130mm Combo - http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Durston-130mm-Combination-Rolling-Mill/113514?Pos=2 and it came with 'gear safety covers' which threw me at first because the one we had at school didn't have it.

Why do you like that?

Have you ever thought about a finger being caught between the gears????????  The guards are only good if you use them, like automotive safety belts................

39don
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 10:31:11 pm »

Great heavy little mill.

39don

Hi Don,

Why do you like that?

Have you ever thought about a finger being caught between the gears????????  The guards are only good if you use them, like automotive safety belts................

39don

OMG!!!  I never thought of that!!!! 
I've never removed the guards yet but they say you do if you want to do 'tapered rolling' and want one side is high and one side lower', for some foldforming techniques.
Also to 're-level' to be sure you get an even smooth flat sheet without curving or anything.  My machine is fairly new and I haven't had any problems yet [fingers crossed], but it seems easy to remove the cover and reset them and then put the cover back.
When you mentioned the need for it, I was imagining long hair [which I don't have].....but FINGERS .....GASP!!!  VERY TRUE....AND PAINFUL IF PINCHED.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

Trails

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:23 am »

I learned from manual transmissions what gears are capable of.. hair(or dreads) is one thing.. fleshy and bone smash.

The neat thing is you can get a very uniform squiggly if you feed wire through the gears though, but Im usually abusing cheap stuff.

Tay
Report Spam   Logged

Tay
Debbie K

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:37 am »

Rock grinders are also very effective finger smashers; I nearly lost my left middle finger when a rock got caught on tear in a nova-type wheel and pulled my hand under the wheel. My finger was against the tray with a sharp rock wedged between it and the wheel going bang bang bang. I couldn't pull it out and finally pushed to get my hand loose. When I pulled my hand out I wasn't sure if my finger would still be attached, but thank God it was and I thought "they can work with this". If was, of course, broken and I needed stiches but I was just grateful that I still had a finger. I tell all the new members that if the grinder wants the rock, let it have it. No rock is worth losing a finger or worse.

At the clubhouse I go to, there is a hank of hair hanging on the wall along with a sign that says "This used to be attached to my head. Don't be like me and tie your hair back when working with the buffing machine." We show it to all the newcomers.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Carol M

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 11:37:46 am »

I learned from manual transmissions what gears are capable of.. hair(or dreads) is one thing.. fleshy and bone smash.

The neat thing is you can get a very uniform squiggly if you feed wire through the gears though, but Im usually abusing cheap stuff.

Tay

Another cool thing I've seen in the Foldforming book is putting metal sheet through the rollers where the square wire making notches are x 2 for criss-cross.  You get a sort of 'graduated waffel texture' which looks rather neat.
I'm assuming that putting wire through the gears wouldn't hurt them.  That's a very cool idea too.
What a neat group. ura
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

39don

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 10:21:54 pm »

Rock grinders are also very effective finger smashers; I nearly lost my left middle finger when a rock got caught on tear in a nova-type wheel and pulled my hand under the wheel. My finger was against the tray with a sharp rock wedged between it and the wheel going bang bang bang. I couldn't pull it out and finally pushed to get my hand loose. When I pulled my hand out I wasn't sure if my finger would still be attached, but thank God it was and I thought "they can work with this". If was, of course, broken and I needed stiches but I was just grateful that I still had a finger. I tell all the new members that if the grinder wants the rock, let it have it. No rock is worth losing a finger or worse.

At the clubhouse I go to, there is a hank of hair hanging on the wall along with a sign that says "This used to be attached to my head. Don't be like me and tie your hair back when working with the buffing machine." We show it to all the newcomers.

Debbie K

Being the manager of a machining dept machining ceramics before firing and having up to 80 women operating the machines we had long hair problems too. We supplied hair nets as safety equipment but it was voluntary for their use. Many times I have heard a scream like yell and helping the young lady stop the machine so she could get hair untangled. Our machines used 1" flat soft leather belts so most of the spindles would stall out when it did happen. We were being inspected by OSHA one time and one of the inspectors noticed the ladies were not wearing the hair nets. We had a quick meeting which he gave a talk on a lady in Alabama who had her hair caught by the drill press' spindle while operating a drill press. Before she could cut the drill press off it had pulled most of her hair and her scalp off her head. It had even pulled her scalp off including her eye lids. Short story she never looked the same. Our ladies started using the hair nets without a quibble after that.

Long hair, long sleeves and even neck ties can be a death trap around machines. Be very "CAREFUL".

If while buffing on a cloth buffing wheel it wants to pull your work piece away don't hold on let it go. I remember years ago when I first started polishing jewelry I was going to polish a gold box neck chain. Before I could even let go the wheel had grabbed the chain chewing it up in the process of giving my hands a brutal beating. Lesson learned....I  have never tried to polished a neck chain since and never will.

Don   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website