General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 05:57:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Polishing backs, stupid things i do or things i forget to do

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polishing backs, stupid things i do or things i forget to do  (Read 281 times)
Mark

« on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:07 pm »

This started on another thread where Jeremy posted a really nice pendant that had a really kool back and i was complaining about my work on pendant backs.  So here goes. 

I am one of those people that don't exactly believe that all backs should be perfectly polished.  I prefer a brushed finish on the back and i know people will say i am being lazy because i don't polish it.  I spend a lot of time on the front making it as perfect as possible and if i spent that much time on the back, i would never finish anything.  I would also like to know how to get a perfect finish on a back after you solder a finding on the back and it is right in the middle and keeps you from getting close with any sanding/polishing equipment.  I always polish the back before soldering the finding on, but you still need to go back and grind the firescale off and re-polish at least part of the back.

What do you all think, is it more professional to make a loop at the top for the chain, or solder a piece of tube on the back for the chain?  I never considered it before, but i am leaning to better pieces having a loop at the top and not a soldered tube on the back.   

Once i solder on a tube, i can never get close enough to polish right up against the tube so even if i polish the whole back to a perfect finish, right around the tube there is an area of not perfect polish and the size varies on your choice of sanding/polishing medium and tool.  I guess i could get closer if i polished perpendicular to the long axis of the pendant, but i always polish parallel to the long axis.  Which now that i think of it, i could do it either perpendicular or parallel as it should not matter if its a final mirror polish, as there will be no lines like with a brushed finish.  Duh!  My stupidity or inexperience. 

It seems that most every time i make a jewelry piece, i do something stupid or forget something.  One big one is grinding down the solder on the bezel join and then when i solder the bezel to the backing, sometimes the bezel join solder will melt away and you can see the line.  This is a horrible to fix situation and adding more solder to re-cover the join almost always ends up making a mess as its really hard to get rid of all the extra solder and make it look perfect.  So i really need to remember to leave the solder on the join until after the bezel is soldered to the backing.  This is probably due to the fact that i only use hard solder on the front of a piece.  I do not like the off color of medium and soft solder and hate the yellowish look, so i only use hard solder.

I guess if i did more jewelry work i would get into a process where i thought things out better and would not forget things. 

One day after i am back to work, i will probably try Argentium and/or some of the other special firescale resistant silvers.  I am also going to buy a tiny amount of gold and try some tiny details in gold occasionally to try and spruce something up.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:34:08 pm »

Both front and back are important. Complete is the word. I like the clean look.

* 20141230_225234-1.jpg (864.34 KB, 1393x1001 - viewed 13 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:56 pm »

Very smooth and elegant Dave:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.ö
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: