Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 31, 2020, 11:56:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Jasper/agate sites near Vegas?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jasper/agate sites near Vegas?  (Read 338 times)
Talusman

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:35:41 pm »

Hi all,

I'll be in Las Vegas for a trade show in April and may be able to swing a free day afterward. Any good sites within a day trip to hound a little something I can cut when I get back?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:12:16 am »

I was going to suggest the Virgin Valley opal mines which i see one of the main ones is in Denio NV.  Thinking it would be close since it is in NV, I was surprised to find it is 600+ miles away and around a 10 hr drive.  Las Vegas and Denio are as far as you can get from one another in NV.  Las Vegas is almost in AZ and Denio is on the border of OR.  On top of that, i see the mine doesn't open till May 15th or so.  Sounded like a good idea.  Here in MA, its maybe a 3 hr drive from the western part to the coast and Boston, and you can probably add another hour to get to the tip of the Cape Cod out in the ocean.  A lot of these New England states are quite small compared to some of those monster sized states out west.
Report Spam   Logged

john likes rocks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:21:57 am »

I did some wondering in the desert dry washes several miles outside of town looking at the rocks, use some caution because there are desperados living in hermitages out there. My gem book lists amethyst in the Las Vegas wash so you might find some quartz based rock around.
Report Spam   Logged

light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:26 am »

I was in Vegas for a trade show years back and I contacted the field trip chairman of the local club there. A group of guys very graciously picked me up at my hotel and took me agate hunting about 70 miles away. I paid for the gas and had a great day collecting. I would have never been able to find the area on my own. We were riding down a remote road, stopped and opened the gate to a fence and drove another several miles into the desert to the area rich with agates.
Report Spam   Logged

Talusman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:58 am »

Contacting a club is a great idea- and you've described the exact kind of experience I'm after.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
Report Spam   Logged
heavensgems
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:08:39 am »

Hi,
I live 100 miles from Vegas -- near Kingman, AZ.  I have places I can take you where you won't be disappointed. For example yesterday I brought home fossils, agate (banded, fire agate, reds, pinks, gray), chalcidny (sp?), jasper, jasper/agate, selenite, quartz crystal, lightening strikes, calcite and even found a small bit of gold in one rock.  All within 500 feet of each other.  Lots of other cool stuff that I don't know how to identify.
I used to live in Seattle and would do lots of beachcombing.  I thought I would really miss it. However, I have found that the desert is so incredibly rich in minerals and fantastic rocks that I am not missing the beachcombing like I thought I would. I find fossilized sea shells and creatures, so it is just one HUGE beach.
I enjoy sharing it with others, so if it works out that you can spend a day, contact me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum