Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 19, 2022, 08:36:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Some Morrisonite?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Morrisonite?  (Read 363 times)
Idaho Druid

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »

Have some of this material that gentleman said was from the site and old stock sat outside as yard art and sprinkler colored the typical white morrisonite matrix red from iron in water. It's amazing stuff to me anyway regardless, but it is certainly porcelain :) Thoughts???

* IMG_3817.JPG (3062.01 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 19 times.)

* IMG_3866.JPG (2643.92 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 10 times.)

* IMG_3870.JPG (2197.96 KB, 4000x3000 - viewed 6 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 02:40:45 pm »

yes
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:53 pm »

Winner  for sure....but you do know we have resident experts on Morrisonite don't you:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:34 pm »

Certainly looks like a porcelain type jasper.

Some wild color patterns there also.

I like the material your  showing.

Is it Morrisonite ? I dunno.

Dug out some Christine Marie and Jakes place I have. Doesn't seem to look like any of the 30 or so samples I have or even similar.

Some of the smaller claims in the area produced some odd material as do all the agate and jasper sites as to type.

Am reserving judgement until other members chime in on this one.

Have seen a few odd rind pieces of rocky butte that kinda resemble some of this but not quite a dead ringer either.

Sorry that's no real help.
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 05:41:05 pm »

Looks like good Brace Ranch jasper to me, a picture of the outside rind would help.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:46 am »

The first two slabs don't look like Morrisonite to me, the third one possibly due to the stringers in it and the color.  The first two are really kool slabs and look like either a new "species" of stone, or a rare or older stock stone that i am not familiar with.  Morrisonite, Willow Creek, Bruneau, etc. are all well known categories of stone, but there have to be thousands of more categories that are rare, old and forgotten, or waiting to be discovered.  It is possible to find one chunk of stone that is a one of a kind that has unbelievable patterns all due to the chemicals that congealed in that one tiny area and then were subjected to a variety of forces that produced it.  Other places you have a large area that pretty much all went thru the same process and you end up with a large amount of a pattern.  Because of the incredible diversity of base stone, forces of nature working on the stone, and the possible chemicals or biological material that lays on or mixes with the stone, i expect there are bazillions of kool stones out there just waiting to be found and they could be found just about anywhere.  I always find it amazing that the same stone or more likely the same crystal, can be found in more than one area of the world and sometimes on different continents.  Take Chrysoprase for example, it is found in Austrailia, Europe, and even the US to some degree.  Many other times you will find one little 3" diameter stone that has a one of a kind make up and pattern that will blow you away.  I am always hoping that when my wife digs a hole in the yard to plant some vegies or a landscaping plant, that she will hit a new vein of Morrisonite, Tanzanite, Emerald,  or Doubiagoite.  I think you have some super kool slabs there and if i had them, they would never be cut and would just be displayed (until i got several more slabs and then i would cab one of them).  The one sad thing is that when you find a one of a kind stone, the value of it is usually not due to its rarity, but is more likely to be priced similar to just another generic slab.  I feel its a crime that Diamonds that are not rare at all, are priced so highly, while stone that is actually rare, is often priced for less than $10 per slab.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Idaho Druid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:18:57 am »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, especially Mark... Until I hear differently about pic 1 & 2 I think I'll call it Dali Jasper; seems to fit :) I know it came from somewhere in The ID, OR, NV Owhyee Triangle and is very old stock and specific location probably lost as the original owner has passed. I'm going to post a couple more pics of the outside/uncut pieces and see if that may help ID any further!

Love this forum/community!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:38:49 am »

I went back and looked something up.  I have to say the more i look at the pics, the 3 slabs look to me like three totally different stones.  The first one looks a bit like Chapenite Jasper from the Mojave Desert around Barstow, CA.  It looks like a nodular formation and i guess even the second one has that look too.  The last on still reminds me of Morrisonite or Carrasite or even Willow Creek, due to the stringers and the color.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Idaho Druid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:25 am »

Tony, i'll snap a couple pics tonight and post asap :)
Report Spam   Logged
Idaho Druid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:04:15 pm »

Here are some pics of the original chunks with rind... Some of the other pieces are more molten convoluted nodules with brick red stained rind...

* IMG_20150203_215745.jpg (1433.37 KB, 2774x2432 - viewed 2 times.)

* IMG_20150203_215814.jpg (1077.18 KB, 2432x2151 - viewed 3 times.)

* IMG_20150203_215549789_HDR.jpg (3001.19 KB, 4320x2432 - viewed 13 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:24:11 am »

The outsides / rinds don't help me much, though the bottom chunk in the first pic, does have the look of Morrisonite from the coloring/pattern of the faced sides.  Sometimes it is just not easy to identify without the stone in hand and even in hand it's often not much easier.  Maybe if someone would come up with a head test.  Hit the stone against your head and figure out from the level of pain and ringing in your ears, what is what. 

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 06:01:11 am »

The red rind on the one piece does compare pretty well with a piece of Carrasite I have and that makes me wonder if this material is not from somewhere in that area. Even though this jasper still seems different in ways from the Carrasite.
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 06:41:30 am »

Carrasite is not far from the Morrisonite mines, and who knows what other combinations could be present between the two areas and all around there.  I would expect there are many deposits of Jasper like stone all over that area, and no two would be just a like, but probably similar.  If i lived close to an area like that, i would be outside every chance i had, looking for the next great lapidary stone.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 07:50:17 am »

I am about 90% on the Brace Ranch ident, I have sold it for years on my website as Green Owyhee.

Quite a few years ago the Brace Ranch (Idaho) would let rock clubs come onto the ranch and dig rocks for one day a year. One old timer was somehow related and could get access whenever he wanted and he and a friend dug up tons of the stuff and piled it in his back yard.
The ranch switched hands and they stopped letting people come dig so pretty much what the old  timer dug and what the rock clubs dug for the years they were allowed on the ranch are what is available.

You have a few  very nice pieces there.
Nice find...........Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
finegemdesigns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:13 pm »

Number 1 is Tuledad Jasper from Nevada for sure. The serpentine-like crystal lined lines are indicative. There was (might still be) a seller on eBay selling this material as Willow Creek so be careful. The following photo was from one of my eBay listings from 2012.

Number 2 is probably also Tuledad especially if it came with number 1.

Number 3 looks like Morrisonite. Could also be Carrasite but color looks more like Morrisonite.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum