Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 29, 2021, 12:47:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Viewing articles & posts on stone cutting...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viewing articles & posts on stone cutting...  (Read 124 times)
sweetstone15

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:02 am »

Being one of the newbys on the site Ive looked at quite a few postings of people who buy rough, stone & gem material, & can appreciate where some of you are coming from. It takes someone who can read stone material for the best way to cut & finish a cab or cut gems to the best finish as possible. Frank Schaffer of Pa. is one who does this & between him & his vietnamese cutter assist., there is almost 80 yrs of experience & with all that each job they get into can be totally different from anything done before. Frank will cut someone elses rough, but if he doesnt select the rough himself, it just makes things a little harder to complete a good stone. I guess this is why I buy selected stones as I do, to get the closest stone that fits my needs at the time. Some of the pendents I do r always "work in progress" because Im looking to finish a pendent with a stone that will b seen eventually I hope. All part of the hunt & building process. I recently bought an alexandrite stone from my jeweler that I thought would work in the pendent. He sold me the stone, 1.62ct tanzanian alex at his cost, which was high for me & after adding it to the pendent, I couldnt warm up to this new stone. Even the wife & my jeweler, John, didnt like it as well. 4 days later the stone was removed & returned to the shop, & the pendent was restored as before with a little fine tuning & aligning of the gold frame-In this case, if it aint broke, dont fix it!-steve... headbang118...but still toocool2 lol
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum