General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 16, 2019, 12:31:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Prescription safety glasses.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prescription safety glasses.  (Read 267 times)
ToTheSummit

« on: December 24, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »

Should've done this a long time ago!  I got the eyes checked recently and bought a couple new sets of reading glasses.  While I was at it I ordered a pair of prescription safety glasses.  Got them in a nice strong prescription also for a little extra magnification when working up close.  I'm anal about eye protection and it was always such a hassle to try to combine my reading glasses with a face shield or put a pair of safety glasses over them.  And since I can't see to work on anything closer than arms length without my glasses it was a constant battle.  But these safety glasses make life so much nicer when working stones now!  I recommend it to anyone who needs to wear glasses to cut their rocks.
Report Spam   Logged

YOU invented the wheel, YOU push the damn thing! -Karl (thats me)

lithicbeads

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:43:15 pm »

Since I was a rockclimber and shards are a definite problem at times i got in the habit of safety prescription glasses years ago. I would never be without them. I had an eye ripped out in a mugging and know how fragile eyes are . My eye was largely restored but the whole thing was really thought provoking. I am about to start snorkeling for jade so yet another prescription device in the works for me. Thanks for bringing this up.
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »

A prescription snorkel? Hmm, interesting!
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 07:40:12 pm »

At least the mask. Jade diving is about to move north from California to  include Washington.
Report Spam   Logged

PhilNM

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 07:42:11 pm »

Should've done this a long time ago!  I got the eyes checked recently and bought a couple new sets of reading glasses.  While I was at it I ordered a pair of prescription safety glasses.  Got them in a nice strong prescription also for a little extra magnification when working up close.  I'm anal about eye protection and it was always such a hassle to try to combine my reading glasses with a face shield or put a pair of safety glasses over them.  And since I can't see to work on anything closer than arms length without my glasses it was a constant battle.  But these safety glasses make life so much nicer when working stones now!  I recommend it to anyone who needs to wear glasses to cut their rocks.

Are these a special size or just that the lenses are unbreakable material?  if special (i/e other than normal safety lenses) can you post a pic? Are they like a shield or diving mask or??
Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 06:36:05 am »

My eyes were corrected to 20-20 years ago, but I find safety glasses with bifocal lenses are really helpful for my old eyes.
Report Spam   Logged
ToTheSummit

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »

Got a few water spots on them from cabbing the other day.  If I were to be doing something that threw lots of dangerous material around (like grinding on metal and throwing lots of sparks/metal shavings) I would probably still put on a face shield also.  But these are great for sawing/cabbing/grinding rocks.
Report Spam   Logged

YOU invented the wheel, YOU push the damn thing! -Karl (thats me)
bobby1

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »

I go to the local pharmacy store and buy 3.50 or 4.00 reading glasses with whooty owl sized lens and frames. They give me a lot of  coverage for my eyes and last a long time. Ii use the smaller lens type for reading that I get from Costco. I do use prescription glasses for distance stuff like driving. Because I don't always need to wear glasses unless I'm doing close up work I tend to stuff them in my shirt pocket with my call phone and such so they get scratched a lot. Doing lapidary work doesn't generate high speed projectiles like metal work does so I feel safe with these large sized  reading glasses.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website