General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 06:42:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

How should I protect a cab from heat?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How should I protect a cab from heat?  (Read 332 times)
john likes rocks!

« on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:38 pm »

Hi!

I need some ideas to help me get a small soldering project done.

I want to solder a silver wire into a loop through a drilled quartz pendent ... but how can I do it without cracking the stone?

Thank you!

John

Report Spam   Logged

fetaby

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:15 pm »

Run the wire through the stone and bend up/ form the loop keeping the crossover where the soldering will occur as far away from the stone as possible?   hide
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:42:45 am »

depending on the size of the work, there are some heat shield gels and pastes that could help. check Rio catalog.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

mdfa.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:51:21 am »

Not knowing exactly the shape of the stone and the setup I don't know if it would work but try this: immerse the stone in packed, wet sand, only exposing the part you will be working with. You could also try wrapping the rest of it with a wet paper towel maybe?

Report Spam   Logged
lopacki

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:48 am »

As quartz is pretty tough and not so heat sensitive this should be not much of a problem depending on the torch you use. I use a micro torch for most of my work and usually just fuse jump rings rather than solder them. If you have a micro torch play around a bit fusing some jump rings.

Put your jump ring in third hand tweezers with the split up away from the metal of the tweezer, using your tiniest tip on the torch adjust the flame super short, then point the flame directly at the split watch it very closely in an instant the silver will fuse and your done, no solder.

This takes a bit of practice but once you do it a few times you will never use solder on jump rings again. Gives a very clean joint and you usually cannot tell where the joint is.

If you get this technique down then you can put your jump ring through the quartz pendent keeping the split up away from the stone itself do as above, the split will fuse with so little heat to the quartz there is little possibility of harming it.

All my best ............. Danny
Report Spam   Logged
mdfa.ca

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:55:21 am »

As quartz is pretty tough and not so heat sensitive this should be not much of a problem depending on the torch you use. I use a micro torch for most of my work and usually just fuse jump rings rather than solder them. If you have a micro torch play around a bit fusing some jump rings.

Put your jump ring in third hand tweezers with the split up away from the metal of the tweezer, using your tiniest tip on the torch adjust the flame super short, then point the flame directly at the split watch it very closely in an instant the silver will fuse and your done, no solder.

This takes a bit of practice but once you do it a few times you will never use solder on jump rings again. Gives a very clean joint and you usually cannot tell where the joint is.

If you get this technique down then you can put your jump ring through the quartz pendent keeping the split up away from the stone itself do as above, the split will fuse with so little heat to the quartz there is little possibility of harming it.

All my best ............. Danny

Danny,

correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that only fine silver can be fused in this manner. If John's wire isn't pure silver, it may not work.
Report Spam   Logged
lopacki

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

Works just fine on sterling make a few jump rings and try it you will see that I am right in my statement.

All my best ... Danny

P.S. This works without flux but to start out just a bit on the split. The split needs to be touching if there is a gap the ends of the wire will melt into balls.
Report Spam   Logged
john likes rocks!

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:24:50 pm »

Thank you all a bunch!

I'll give it a go.
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »

I use a pair of forceps  with long pointy tips. I grip the jump ring away from the join so they don't act as a heat sink and suspend the piece above your solder block. I use a small pointy tip, a bit of flux and a bit of solder. I also wet some pieces of a  paper towel and wrap them around the stone.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website