General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 06:40:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Soldering love-hate.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soldering love-hate.  (Read 890 times)
mirkaba

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 09:21:15 am »

before i solder a bezel, i have draped a really worn 600 grit piece of sandpaper over the center of my sink and sanded the back/bottom of the bezel under water flow.
This way, the bezel is perfectly flat on the bottom too.

I was having this issue also until i remembered that i had to sand each plumbing fitting plumbing houses so the solder would flow easier.
Good idea. I keep a strip of 200 grit psa sc sandpaper stuck to a paint stick handy for the same purpose.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
mdfa.ca

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 10:33:04 am »

Thank you all for responding!

Dickb,

I'm using My-T-Flux from RioGrande. The torch is a micro torch. I think you may be right to think the torch and the amount of heat it produces may be the issue here. That is the only difference in how I do things between the small test piece and the actual production piece: size. The flame can't be controlled on the micro torch either. Today I'm going to get a small propane tank and try my new orca torch I got for Christmas. I really hope this will do the trick.   

Mirkaba,

yes, beginning to think that is the issue, will try new orca torch today.

Phishisgroovin,

I have made sure the bezel setting and the backing is flush and sand lightly before each attempt.

Hate being frustrated! Wish me luck today. I'll keep you guys posted.
Report Spam   Logged
Charles

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 05:26:51 am »

You will love the Orca torch. I've had one for awhile and it works great. One caution on it. Mine did not come with the regulator for a one pound size propane tank, the small ones used with a camping stove, I had to buy it separately. Mine came with the regulator for a 5 gallon tank like you use for backyard grills.
As a soldering torch they are hard to beat and talk about portable. With the three tips you can handle most any soldering job. Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:01 am »

Good Luck. I am not familiar with the Orca torch. But I started out using the old blue hand held bottle torch and it has to be an improvement. I recently switched from My-T-Flux to Ready Flux and don't see any difference between the two. Both work well. I keep a bottle of Pripps flux handy for copper and brass. I got the Smiths "Little Torch" because I already had tanks and regulators for my "Big" Smith. :) I started out working with scrap silver from my girlfriends wire wrapping and broken jewelry from a pawn shop. Just played around melting and brazing and repairing until I got comfortable with it. Every new project is still a challenge though. I have a mental block when it comes to Bezel setting. Still have to get good (comfortable)at it...................Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
mdfa.ca

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 09:09:27 am »

You will love the Orca torch. I've had one for awhile and it works great. One caution on it. Mine did not come with the regulator for a one pound size propane tank, the small ones used with a camping stove, I had to buy it separately. Mine came with the regulator for a 5 gallon tank like you use for backyard grills.
As a soldering torch they are hard to beat and talk about portable. With the three tips you can handle most any soldering job. Good luck.

Charles,
I was lucky, my orca came with the proper attachment for the small bottles. Ideally I'd like one of the mid'size tanks (4.9 lb) but for that one I will have to get a different connector.
Report Spam   Logged
mdfa.ca

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:46 am »

Eureka!!!  dancer  Like I said, when it works, it's magic and that's how it felt. The orca torch is absolutely AWESOME!!! It finally flowed!!! ura It actually startled me because I didn't expect it to go so fast. With the micro torch I'd stand there for 2-3 min heating, heating, heating and watching the pallions oxidize. With Orca, I warmed the whole setting from underneath for a few seconds, started working around the outside of the bezel on the top and, poof, if just went. And truly, it formed a perfect joint, if I may so myself LOL:

It's amazing the difference the proper equipment makes. The micro torch has a very pointed, unadjustable, narrow flame and is good for very small jobs, but not for something bigger. I've learned some lessons from this project:

1.  As it is always said: solder flows towards the heat. And the heat it should flow towards is the metal you are trying to solder. So if it doesn't flow, it's the setting that isn't hot enough, not the solder.
2.  Do not put heat directly on the solder. If the setting isn't hot enough, it won't flow but solder will oxidize instead.
3.  Use the proper equipment for the job at hand! Ha ha, that should be a no-brainer, but isn't always obvious.

I was so happy last night, I was dancing! Thank you all for your replies and help. Now, to finish the job.
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 10:55:47 am »

You did good!!!!! Yea.

The join is very well done. A little fire scale on the inside, but that could be from the earlier attempts. It's really hard to teach when your not standing next to the person to demonstrate technique and coach as the work is being preformed. U tube video's do a good job but soldering is a skill that needs to be developed by each person. Kind of like learning to ride a bike.

Your skills will improve and with each attempt it will get easier, the more difficult jobs will get finished and you will be able to call yourself a smith.

I'm glad we were able to help you.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Charles

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 11:37:36 am »

Glad the torch worked for you. I really love mine. The joins look real good. CONGRATS!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Back

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 01:44:17 pm »

Very good yes

I know nothing about an Orca touch. If it came with Smith regulators it has to be nice and pricy. When I use as a step up from a micro torch I use a cheep propane oxygen that I got at Rual King. It does work but the regulators  arnt very linear. Smiths have been on my wish list for a long time.

Happy for you

Bless
Shawn
Report Spam   Logged
mdfa.ca

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 09:01:30 am »

It is done!!! I was on the roll yesterday after the soldering success so just buckled down and finished it.  Very shiny and hard to photograph. There is just a light, bluish patina on it that contrasts with the gold rutilation. I did have to file down the bezel edge in some spots to compensate for the stone's irregular height. It turned out quite even.

Here is the back:

And another angle:

Report Spam   Logged
rocks2dust

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 11:14:18 am »

Beautiful. The engraved lines really do compliment the pattern in the stone. They will love it!
Report Spam   Logged

gemfeller

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:52 am »

It's a well-realized piece.  Nice work! 
Report Spam   Logged

mdfa.ca

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 12:16:37 pm »

Thanks, Rocks2dust and Gemfeller. She has already seen it and loves it! I'm so happy! ura
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 12:19:09 pm »

Excellent way to accent the stone........................Quite beautiful...................... yes

Next........You need a 'sterling' or '925' stamp................... hide
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

dickb

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 03:21:57 pm »

GO TEAM RAH RAH RAH
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum