Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 08:34:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

new to me little saw

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new to me little saw  (Read 629 times)
phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:58 am »

Just picked this little saw up yesterday for turquoise and other little cuts. Cleaning it now, will be water use only.
Paid fiddy bucks

The blade that came with it was really thick and worn all the way to the steel behind the diamond layer lol!
it had atleast 800 years of crud buildup in the sump too, it almost took me going to rent a jackhammer to break it up.

soaked it in crud kutter for a couple hours, cleaned up nice. Its for Water use only now to cut turquoise and other gemstones that i dont want to use my oil and thick blades on.
I purchased a .009 inch thick blade for this just for these expensive stones, waste not want not i say....

Paid fiddy bucks for the unit. Just need to put a new cord on it now.

First cut was Turkish blue agate i had sent to me from Gundaz on facebook and a piece of turquoise.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:39:14 am »

side by side, heres the difference from the old thick blade on right and the ultra thin blade mounted and on the left.

Report Spam   Logged
Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »

Looks like it's doing a good job, Phish,
What is the thickest cut you can make with it??
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 01:55:03 pm »

only a little over or up to 2" cuts.
Its only for cutting tiny things as i have my other 6" saw that does the larger ones other than high value stones i pay per gram or carat for.
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:15:50 pm »

Phish:

Don't be a silly person like me: Respect the skinny little blade. I'm so used to the ones that are thicker that I cut my thumb and finger, and I didn't notice it til later.

Nice little trim saw, and good price!

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:27:49 pm »

first time i set something to the blade spinning it scared me how fast it dug in and cut. (turquoise).
Im cutting small stones now with something else holding the stone making a layer between my fingers and that blade.
Report Spam   Logged
phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »

and also, i store my super glue close by to bond cuts in my skin back together lol!
Report Spam   Logged
minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:25:45 pm »

Nice little Saw Randy and that blade don't sneeze too hard around it  hide

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:36:14 pm »

Phish (or anyone else who knows the answer):

How do you use the superglue? Usually when I cut myself there's so much blood it would wash the superglue away. I can see how it would work with cuts like I got with the skinny blade; they didn't bleed that much. Do you just squirt it on the cut and try to hold it together? How do you keep from gluing your uninjured hand from getting glue on it and getting glued to the injured one?

Also, do you try to clean a cut out with alcohol before you superglue it, or does the superglue sterilize?

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:30:24 pm »

u usually blop glue on it a millisecond after wiping it off with alcohol and tissue, then push the skin together with the other hand but far enough from the cut and glue to not get my other fingers stuck..
Report Spam   Logged
Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »

I think I'm gonna be sick!!! bricks
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

phishisgroovin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 07:19:00 pm »

I think I'm gonna be sick!!! bricks
like this? or with a friend like this?
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 08:14:40 am »

Thanks, Phish. Will give it a try on my next cut. I think this will only work on little cuts, not ones that need stitches.

Carol; if blood bothers you, don't EVER take up woodcarving. My club had a whittling competition during their annual show and we had a little trophy (First Blood) for the first person who cut themselves, as someone invariably would. Another thing to avoid is vulcanized rubber mold-making; you have to cut them open with scalpels. I actually left a class in mold-making because I knew what was going to happen (per wood-carving experience). The instructor and two students did cut themselves.

And for those who think rock grinders are safe: I almost managed to amputate my middle left hand finger with one. There was a small tear in the diamond belt which caught the large piece of jasper and pulled my hand into the machine. It was caught on the bottom with rock on top and the wheel whacking it over and over. I panicked so much I didn't even think of turning off the machine. I couldn't pull it out and eventually pushed. I was so pleased to see that the finger was still attached when I did get my hand out I didn't even mind the stitches or 2 months for the broken finger to heal.

Needless to say, I'm accident prone. You guys may remember I the one who nicked a tendon on a tin can (still paying for that one).

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:43 am »

Thanks, Phish. Will give it a try on my next cut. I think this will only work on little cuts, not ones that need stitches.

Carol; if blood bothers you, don't EVER take up woodcarving. My club had a whittling competition during their annual show and we had a little trophy (First Blood) for the first person who cut themselves, as someone invariably would. Another thing to avoid is vulcanized rubber mold-making; you have to cut them open with scalpels. I actually left a class in mold-making because I knew what was going to happen (per wood-carving experience). The instructor and two students did cut themselves.

And for those who think rock grinders are safe: I almost managed to amputate my middle left hand finger with one. There was a small tear in the diamond belt which caught the large piece of jasper and pulled my hand into the machine. It was caught on the bottom with rock on top and the wheel whacking it over and over. I panicked so much I didn't even think of turning off the machine. I couldn't pull it out and eventually pushed. I was so pleased to see that the finger was still attached when I did get my hand out I didn't even mind the stitches or 2 months for the broken finger to heal.

Needless to say, I'm accident prone. You guys may remember I the one who nicked a tendon on a tin can (still paying for that one).

Debbie K

Debbie I have the same problems as you with my fingers. I cab so much and my fingers stay wet causing them to dry out and crack open even when I try to keep lotion on them. When they do crack open or I have a small cut I use the new Loctite Gel so it doesn't run all over the place. Dab a small amount over the cut waiting a few minutes before placing a few layers of paper towel over the glue. Make sure the towel is thick enough so it doesn't soak thru the paper and sticks to the finger pressing it down. When the glue drys and has hardened I wash my hands letting the water remove the unglued towel. I leave it alone for at least 3 to 4 days but continue to cab or use my hands as I want.  The patch will usually stay on till I remove it. I just happen to have one on now. ura ura ura

Super Glue Patch............

39don
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 05:24:20 pm »

Thanks Don! I'll have to get some of the gel superglue, I just have the thin stuff. Good idea about gluing the towel to the cut; it probably helps hold it together.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum