Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 10:18:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Chinese Writing Stone

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Writing Stone  (Read 585 times)
minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

Boy Lloyd do I understand about heating up the shop had to buy a 40,000 btu propane heater just to warm it up then I can use my pellet stove to keep it warm lol.

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
GoodEarth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 06:52:23 am »

I also like looking at this rough.

And being warm.

Report Spam   Logged

itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:34 am »

Warm is good yes
I hear you're getting a little cool up there Ernie, it was down to -10C here last night but the shop gets a lot of solar heat so it should be warm by 2pm or so. I'm thinking of burning pellets too yes. I hear on the weather that the cold front the russians sent us slumped way down into the US too. All the bug kill lets the wind just blast through. 
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:09:41 pm »

I like my pellet stove also but have found over the years that they wear out quickly when used for 9 months a year. I have had two for years now and when a piece breaks internally we can change it out in about an hour with 8 more hours off for the heat resistant caulk to cure. We bolt the broken one to a pallet and take it by hand truck to the tractor which has forks and lift it in the truck for the very long ride to the repair shop. Good tool but they could be more reliable and the 5 tons of pellets we use eah year take up lots of space in the barn. Warm is good.
Report Spam   Logged

minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »

The pellet stove I have in the shop is our old house unit and only runs a few hrs at a time and our new house has been trouble free (Knock on wood) for 3 years now and we use it as our main source of heat with propane  furnace as backup.
I do miss a wood stove we might put one in once this pellet stove quits.

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 06:39:55 pm »

I also like looking at this rough.

I got lots for yah Bud  yes
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »

start cranking those cuts out Ernie, it's going to be a long winter and we want to see what you've got LOL
Some I cut tody after the saw warmed up
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:54 pm »

Awesome looking material Lloyd. I'm going to get one of those magnetic block heaters and put it on the saw . Plug it in a few hrs before I go cutting, should heat up the oil and inturn warm up the rest of the saw.

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 08:43:20 am »

My converted 10" tile saw has a plastic tray for a sump that extends completely under the machine and I had some fun the other day expirimenting with a heater LOL I put a stove element in the tray thinking the mud in the bottom would insulate the tray and running on 110 the element does'nt get as hot as 220 in the stove; famous last words...... melted a hole in the tray when I got distracted for a minute and you can guess what fun I had finding buckets to catch the oil running out LOL
Report Spam   Logged

minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 07:40:21 pm »

Oops thats not good Lloyd . I really like those magnetic block heaters I used it on my Hyd. wood splitter it would heat the tank and I could use it right away .

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 09:20:02 am »

yes it was an oops allright LOL Nothing a bit of commercial sealant couldn't fix but what a mess. I threw one of those eavestrough heaters in the tank now but the block heaters are a good idea, Princess auto has a couple of different wattages I looked at a couple of years ago for something else. Now I have to find a way of keeping myself warm in there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum