General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 05:20:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

What to use to back a cab?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to use to back a cab?  (Read 2024 times)
redrockrods

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:22 am »

Regarding uneven bezels on stones, I  frequently have to contour and adjust the bezel height  to match the cut of the stone. This is particularly necessary when setting gem carvings such as fire agate in a bezel.  mark the contour of the stone on the inside of the bezel cup and then carefully grind or file down the bezel to the line and adjust as necessary.

For getting lines in the metal, numerous options...A rolling mill could add texture, but not perfectly lined up with what you have in mind. You could use an engraving tool to engrave the lines in metal but what you're really looking for I think is acid etching. use a resist to mark where you want the lines and then acid etch away the surrounding silver. that would give you raised texture exactly where you want the lines in the cabochon extended onto the metal.  A fourth option would be designing a setting in metal clay.
Report Spam   Logged

PhilNM

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

nno no.... use the link that's on the same line as IMG

use the line that I highlighted in this pic:

Report Spam   Logged

fetaby

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2014, 08:24:31 pm »

2nd the acid etching.  Also bringing news that E6000 now comes in black and white.

And for pictures, just right click on the picture, copy image address, paste, highlight, and then use the second button on the left above the smilies… looks like a landscape picture. 
Report Spam   Logged
mdfa.ca

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2014, 10:58:03 am »

Redrockrods,

I have used an engraver to create the lines where I wanted them. The acid etching would have worked as well, but I wanted the lines to be below the surface of the setting, not raised. It actually worked pretty well, I think. I will try the darn image thing again.

FIrst, it's the three amigos. The bezel, the "insert" and the cab. I am still not sure I am happy with the insert. I'd like to raise it just a bit more on one side and then compensate a bit more by grinding the bezel down, but I think I'll do that once it is soldered to the base.

Ah, thank you fetaby and everyone else who tried to walked me through posting pictues. By George, I think I have finally got it....  ura

So, here is the base with the engraved design:

Report Spam   Logged
redrockrods

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 11:15:08 am »

2nd the acid etching.  Also bringing news that E6000 now comes in black and white.

And for pictures, just right click on the picture, copy image address, paste, highlight, and then use the second button on the left above the smilies… looks like a landscape picture. 

I've always been baffled by the popularity of E6000.  It doesn't make a very strong bond, it never sets up hard and remains rubbery and tacky. I've pulled stones out of settings where E6000 was used as the glue to set the stone and all it took was a little tug on the rubbery mess to pop it out.  If you're going to use glue to set a stone, at least use something that sets hard and makes a strong bond.  E330 or even jb weld IMO are far better choices (although the best choice is not to use glue at all and set the stone properly).
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:01 am »

Redrockrods,

I have used an engraver to create the lines where I wanted them. The acid etching would have worked as well, but I wanted the lines to be below the surface of the setting, not raised. It actually worked pretty well, I think. I will try the darn image thing again.

FIrst, it's the three amigos. The bezel, the "insert" and the cab. I am still not sure I am happy with the insert. I'd like to raise it just a bit more on one side and then compensate a bit more by grinding the bezel down, but I think I'll do that once it is soldered to the base.

Ah, thank you fetaby and everyone else who tried to walked me through posting pictues. By George, I think I have finally got it....  ura

So, here is the base with the engraved design:

That setting looks terrific, nice job on the engraving.
Report Spam   Logged

mdfa.ca

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 11:21:15 am »

I've always been baffled by the popularity of E6000.  It doesn't make a very strong bond, it never sets up hard and remains rubbery and tacky. I've pulled stones out of settings where E6000 was used as the glue to set the stone and all it took was a little tug on the rubbery mess to pop it out.  If you're going to use glue to set a stone, at least use something that sets hard and makes a strong bond.  E330 or even jb weld IMO are far better choices (although the best choice is not to use glue at all and set the stone properly).

I agree. E6000 is my go to when I cab welo opals, exactly for that reason. It's very easy to pop them off later, just put in the freezer for 10 min and off they go.  Can't use dopping wax with them safely.
Report Spam   Logged
PhilNM

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 09:55:22 pm »

yea!   You got it! Whoo hoo. Nice. Show us the finished setting when it's done?

Phil
Report Spam   Logged

fetaby

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2014, 11:13:00 pm »

Very impressed here.  Must see finished piece.
Report Spam   Logged
mdfa.ca

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2014, 10:35:18 am »

Thanks, guys! I most certainly will. Hope to get it done this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
PhilNM

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »

If you haven't mounted it yet, I found the perfect!!!! backing for you. Soft enough to deform to your needs, stable, slightly sticky, etc......
I was playing around making up a setup to photo my cabs and someone said to stick them to a dowel, pin, whatever, but hidden behind the cab so the cab looks like it's floating above the background using ...... ta da!!! poster tacking putty. You can buy it at walmart, hobby lobby, etc etc etc and it works well! I stick a little bit of it to a cab then to a dowel and left it set to see what happens.  It stayed stuck, but not so stuck I couldn't easily remove it.  As long as what you're making is contained by a bezel, it's perfect! 
Give it a shot, it only cost $2 for a bunch!  Just look for poster tack!
Report Spam   Logged

mdfa.ca

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:42 am »

Hey PhilNM,

THanks for trying but I'm not sure that would be a good choice. I've actually got some experience with this stuff (wall tack, or tacky putty). I actually use it in my drawing as an excellent graphite picker-upper, but would never leave it on paper for an extended period of time. It does leach some oily chemical, albeit very slowly, and I have no idea what affect that would have on the silver or the cab. I think JB weld is perfect. It's ready to go, just waiting for me to get my courage together to actually solder the bezel onto the setting.... roar
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website