General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 17, 2019, 01:52:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Bits...from start to finish

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bits...from start to finish  (Read 304 times)
CallirrhoeJewellery
« on: October 09, 2014, 12:43:34 pm »

Hello all, I've read through a lot of your threads and i've already learned a lot.

I am a complete novice when it comes to cutting and polishing and have not tried either..yet.

I have a foredom which I use for polishing my jewellery www.callirrhoejewellery.com but I would like to be able to polish up some roughs that I have but I literally have no idea exactly what I need in order to do so.

Could anyone be so kind as to tell me how I can cut, shape and polish to a mirror shine using a foredom?  I already have some diamond bits for shaping which work well but I'm looking for advice on what goes next after rough shaping.

I would love to know what your favourite bits are as i'd prefer to buy something that has been recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Amy
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:14:15 am »

Amy:

Since you are dealing with a Foredom, I'm approaching your question as if the pieces you've made are carvings. I've discussed in detail what I do to polish carvings on this forum (do a search for my name and look for postings in the carving section), especially my earliest posts.

Probably, lacking a rock grinder, your best bet will be to make wood bits (attached on the screw-type arbors) used with oil and diamond powder. I use mineral oil and the diamond grit is available from many vendors; I think that Jade Carver might be pretty reasonable. Your diamond bits are probably pretty coarse, so you'll need 200, 600, 1200, 3000 and, if you want a really good shine, 8000 grit diamond grit. Some places (Jade Carver and Wood Crafters) sell the diamond bits in finer grits (up to 600) which is really helpful, too.

I make wood bits out of all kinds of things; the larger ones are made out of maple beads and wheels and such things that are available at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. You can cut them (with a hole saw) out of flat hardwood that you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot.

You can get a lot of information that will be really useful to this method of polishing if you read some of the older posts in the carving section. Folks making cabs with grinders don't have to resort to the sorts of things that carvers do. I'm not trying to be unhelpful, but many of us have already extensively posted on polishing carvings and it's time consuming to retype it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

Debbie K

Report Spam   Logged
Carol M

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »

Hi Amy,
I was looking at your website.
Your pieces are lovely. yes
It seems that electroforming is your main 'addiction' just now and your stones are very organic and probably just tumbled.
That look is actually very cool, and 'in' just now. yippie

Basically you're taking stones you find or buy and tumbling them and mounting them in jewelry.  That seems to be working well for that look.

I can see the use of a Foredom, as Debbie said, if you want to 'cut or carve' the original stone, only.

Debbie's suggestion on going to the 'carving' part of the forum is 'bang-on'.

Carving doesn't have to be 'faces or frogs' it can just be abstract forms and shapes.  Sometimes the word carving is misinterpreted.

If carving isn't what you want to do......but rather, making cabs or faceted stones, you'll have to show a photo of what you want to end up with, for any better help.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

CallirrhoeJewellery
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:37:39 am »

Hi both, that's really helpful thank you.  I'll try and find relevant topics in the forum history to go by too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website