General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 06:39:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Soldering Pewter

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soldering Pewter  (Read 618 times)
PhilNM

« on: September 27, 2014, 03:28:30 pm »

Anyone know of any way to solder a pin onto a pewter piece without melting the pewter?  I tried the usual way you do silver, melted the piece horribly! Then tried low temp paste, also no good. Tried 3 grades of super glue, e-6000, etc. All no good. the glued stuff just peels right off the pewter. And the pewter piece is too thin to dril and epoxy, so I'm stumped! Any help out there?
Thanks!
Phil
Report Spam   Logged

gemfeller

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:32:45 pm »

One of my sources says it can be soldered with a low melting point tin-lead-bismuth soft solder.  A liquid flux for the job is made from 1 part hydrochloric acid and 18 parts glycerine.  Or you can use this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Displays-Boxes-T6008-Pewter/dp/B00E4Y09HC
 If it's not lead-free Brittania metal, you need to avoid breathing fumes during soldering. 
Report Spam   Logged

PhilNM

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »

One of my sources says it can be soldered with a low melting point tin-lead-bismuth soft solder.  A liquid flux for the job is made from 1 part hydrochloric acid and 18 parts glycerine.  Or you can use this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Displays-Boxes-T6008-Pewter/dp/B00E4Y09HC
 If it's not lead-free Brittania metal, you need to avoid breathing fumes during soldering. 

Thanks. Tried that stuff first actually. Either I got a bad tube or it also doesn't work. The paste never melted and I'm using a solder iron that gets to 780 degrees.... The pewter melted first. :(
Report Spam   Logged

lopacki

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

Maybe JB weld would do the job.

All my best ........ Danny
Report Spam   Logged
PhilNM

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 06:35:18 pm »

Yep. JB Weld and liquid steel both on my list to try, along with gorilla epoxy.. I think all of those will require roughing the surface up first tho.
Thanks.
Dan - You going to be set up for this weekends Alb gem and mineral show?
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:06:55 pm »

Yep. JB Weld and liquid steel both on my list to try, along with gorilla epoxy.. I think all of those will require roughing the surface up first tho.
Thanks.
Dan - You going to be set up for this weekends Alb gem and mineral show?

When and where is the show..............I haven't heard anything about it.................. dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

PhilNM

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

This coming weekend, Oct  3.4 and 5th. Alb Fairgrounds. They have flyers all over town plus a few billboards...

http://www.visitalbuquerque.org/abq365/events/detail/Albuquerque-Gem-Mineral-Fall-Show/19737/
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:20:30 am »

This coming weekend, Oct  3.4 and 5th. Alb Fairgrounds. They have flyers all over town plus a few billboards...

Thankx very much............I  really don't get 'around' much and I've been waiting for the notice on the Forum.  Again, Thankx.............
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

slabbercabber

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:09:28 am »

Pewter can melt as low as 340 degrees f.  I don't think you will find any solder that melts lower than that.  I would try a urethane adhesive.  Gorrilla glue is the most available.
Report Spam   Logged
Carol M

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:01:29 pm »

I know that Robert Hall Originals has a Pewter Shop.  They might know. http://www.roberthalloriginals.com/
If you need a quick fix though, I have to agree with the others.   Gorilla Glue seems to do the job.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

PhilNM

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 02:24:26 pm »

Thanks all. I found a solder that is made for Pewter. Melts at 275. Perfect.  I've ordered some and the low temp flux that goes with it. Appreciate the help!
Report Spam   Logged

PhilNM

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:45 am »

Quick FYI for everyone. Bought some Gorilla 2 part, 5 minute epoxy yesterday and tried it. says it sets in 5 to 30 minutes, full cure at 24 hours. At the 1 hour point, the pin just pulled right off. at 24 hours, the other one also peeled off. Looks like the solder is going to be the only way.
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:29 am »

I know I saw a Youtube video where a woman was testing Gorilla two part epoxy Glue soldering pewter bails onto flat back lampwork beads for pendants and she showed the strength by trying to pry the bail off.  I can't find the video now though...but maybe pewter to pewter doesn't work as well.
While looking for the earlier video, I saw this one where the guy is glueing steel pieces.  He notes how an unprepped earlier one failed, and how he prepped it to make it stay this time.   Interesting video, even if you don't use it for your project though. yes 

Good luck with the pewter solder. 
If it melts as such a low temperature, I wonder what you use to put it on???   What torch.  A tiny butane one, maybe or a candle?
At that low a melting temp, maybe you melt it in a little 'pot' like dop wax, and smear the melted solder on like glue.

In any event, I'd be interested in knowing what worked....when you figure it out.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:15 am »

Normal Gorrilla glue is a urethane adhesive.  This is worlds apart from epoxy.  Urethane remains slightly flexible which results in a better bond in many applications.  Since pewter is very soft it is likely to flex and peel away from the very hard epoxy.  There are also better grades of urethane adhesive as well, usually using an activator.  You will need to find an industrial supplier for these.
Report Spam   Logged
PhilNM

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 07:49:10 pm »

Thanks. now that I found a solder that's made for pewter, I'm gonna learn to use it. So far, so good.
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:20:09 am »

I know that Robert Hall Originals has a Pewter Shop.  They might know. http://www.roberthalloriginals.com/
If you need a quick fix though, I have to agree with the others.   Gorilla Glue seems to do the job.

Hi Phil,
You may have figured out the solution, but a while ago, when I mentioned it before, I emailed Robert Hall to ask him, since he has a pewter studio and today I just heard back.

He said -
"Regarding soldering pewter, make sure to file both surfaces so that they are clean.  To solder the pewter, you must add a low temperature flux.  Paint it onto the two surfaces and then heat it.  Some metals do not want to solder at all , even some that are called pewter.

Good luck with the venture.

Robert

Robert Hall Originals
www.roberthalloriginals.com
519-448-1236, 1-800-360-2813
138 Sugar Maple Road, St. George, Ontario  N0E 1N0
Open Monday to Friday 9 - 5,Saturday 10 - 4:30
robert@roberthalloriginals.com"

Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

PhilNM

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 11:36:48 am »

thanks. I found a low temp liquid flux and solder....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website