General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 07:57:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Eutectic silver solder – any tricks to its use?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eutectic silver solder – any tricks to its use?  (Read 388 times)
GregHiller

North of Boston

« on: August 15, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »

Okay, so it took me a little while to understand this whole topic.  I’m starting to do some enameling work and have learned that having any zinc in the presence of enamels will create bubbles or discoloration in the enamels.  Most normal silver solders have zinc in them which to some extent boils off when the solder flows. 

So, I weighed out some pure silver and copper last night (high quality balance) and prepared my own eutectic silver solder.  I made it with the lowest melting point possible, which is about 78% silver with the balance copper.  I also made some with about 85% silver (higher melting point, but still not as high as sterling, 93.5% silver).  I melted the metals together on a piece of charcoal soldering block (seemed to mix well just through the melting process), then flattened it, rolled it out in my rolling mill and then cut the foil into small pieces.  My question is…are there any tricks to soldering with this stuff as opposed to more standard forms of silver solder which contain zinc?  Will it flow as effectively?  I assume it will be more likely to show a slightly different color since it is has lower silver content?  I will be using it mostly with Argentium silver, and in most cases the parts that I’m soldering might not be all that visible in the final piece. 
Report Spam   Logged

'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

Always interested in trading slabs or rough

Bentiron

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:30:28 pm »

Good questions, I used it some many years ago in fabricating some copper pieces for a gal that did enameling but since she enameled over it things seemed to work out fine for her but she was using "fine" silver and not an alloy so you may need to research how it will work with Argentium, a different critter than "fine" silver you know. I have been reducing the size of my studio and all of my books are packed so I can't get to them right now, the internet is probably more up to date than any of my books any way. There are dedicated enameling forums that will get you a quicker answer most likely.
Report Spam   Logged

metalartz

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:20:55 am »

Argentium silver fuses really nicely so you may not even need solder.
also Argentium silver  Melt Temperature is 60º F  lower than standard sterling silver.
Report Spam   Logged

David

Medusa
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:32:22 am »

I might be a bit late to the conversation, but my experience of enamelling solder (bought, but not home made) it that you can enamel over it no problem and in terms of colour and tarnishing, it seems to be a bit more like sterling in colour than say easy or medium solder.  You do need to get it even hotter than hard of course, so care needs be taken about accidentally melting thin parts, but it flows well, pretty much about the same as hard, I'd say, which means a zillion times better than easy solder.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website