Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 03, 2023, 10:01:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Montana question

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Montana question  (Read 408 times)
Iwannarock

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »

Wife and I are headed to Montana this weekend for 10-14 days, any one from Montana want to pm me with possible to find items other that are in the typical Montana rockhounding books or would like to show us where?
cheers
Report Spam   Logged

member of Prairie Rock & Gem Society, Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »

I have hounded a lot over there and I have never seen a book myself. What areas are you going to be visiting?
Report Spam   Logged

Iwannarock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »

coming in on 16 from Regina, down to Glendive, along I94 to Billings, then I90-Livingston,Bozeman,Butte,Anaconda,Missoula, I15 to Helena, great Falls and points in around all of these I think, and any other place we maybe directed to if we are lucky, not sure where else my navigator has planned but I did hear of the possibility of a zip-line, a cave or two and of course food, plus going back to Gem Mountain to do some fun sapphire hunting, did it the last time and it was alot of fun. The book I was referring to is Rockhounding Montana, which does give you some old locations areas but they are now private land or a strip mall LOL, it at least gives you an approximate idea what you may find in an area, which we kinda need as we still new to this (5 years) and we're still stepping on top of what we're looking for as we are not sure what it looks like in the wild ura
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:26 pm »

Harmon's rock shop is a don't miss on your route . Ask there about collecting agate. Lots of fossils at Ft. Peck reservoir north of there. Lots of fossils concretions a few miles south of Glendive as well. A nomiss is the state park there , lots of geology. I will find a link later.
Report Spam   Logged

Iwannarock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:30 am »

Yes Harmon's is a must stop as every time we are there they were either moving or closed, plus it would be nice to finally meet them as they are great friends with many in our rock club, Prairie Rock and Gem in Regina,Sk.

I'm assuming you are referring to Makoshika State Park?  Yes it is quite amazing there, between the wife and I we usually end up taking at least 300-500 pictures between us there, gotta love digital.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum