General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 05:15:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Reusing scrap silver

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reusing scrap silver  (Read 1355 times)
GregHiller

North of Boston

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 02:40:16 pm »

>You need to anneal your piece when it gets hard for you to roll it, when annealing heat the piece up to a dull red and let it cool in the air “do not quench it as this just hardens the metal”.<

I don't work with sterling much, and that might be the case for sterling, but for Argentium I usually let it cool Very slightly just so it's no longer brittle, then I quench very quickly.  This gives me a very soft piece.  I found this section on the PDF for Argentium FACS:

>On the other hand, note that the sooner the Argentium is quenched
after it reaches black heat, the softer it is; therefore, you may
choose between metal softness and the risk of shock-cracks
or warpage according to the situation and your personal
sense of concern about those factors.<
Report Spam   Logged

'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

Always interested in trading slabs or rough
Goldsmithy

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:31 am »

Broomstick casting is a technique that you can use for all your scrap that has solder in it. If you do a search for "broomstick casting"( as my computer skills are very lacking in posting links. dunno ) you will find many good articles on the topic.  It is extremely easy to do.
Report Spam   Logged

GregHiller

North of Boston

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 07:23:43 am »

So, I tried the Tufa stone casting method to try and make sheet silver out of my scrap.  It was quite easy to shape the tufa stone, and the material was very inexpensive from Thunderbirdsupply.  It only took a few seconds to cover the tufa with some soot from my acetylene torch (no O2 going in).  I was working with Argentium.  The problem I had on this initial try was warned about by an earlier poster.  I also realized the problem after reading a little more carefully some of the Argentium literature.  Indeed, for a small thin piece of Argentium you can achieve maximal softness by quenching quickly after annealing.  However, for a thick piece which cools much more slowly you must be more careful.  I clearly created thermal shock in my piece the first time around which showed itself as I began to roll the material out.  When I tried again (I just remelted my failed attempt) and allowed the thick piece to cool more slowly before quenching I did not have any problems.  However, I will say that this is a SLOW process.  I needed to anneal the piece many times between rollings. 

I suggest to anyone doing this, if you are trying to get back to sheet material, you are best off making a mold that yields an ingot no more than 2-3 mm in thickness.  Also, if you have a roller that can deal with large pieces you are much better off.  The flat section of my roller is only 1" wide.  As I rolled the pieces sometimes they would twist a bit so it took some patience to keep them rolling in the center (the flat) section of the roller.  As I worked the ingot down I eventually cut it into multiple pieces as it got longer and longer and more difficult to handle.

All in all it was a fun process.  I learned a bit and the final result was good.  The material I ended up with looks every bit as good as a new sheet from Rio, albeit a bit narrow!

Report Spam   Logged

'Relax it's just a freakin' rock (insert name of interest) forum' - immortal words of a 'sage' from the fish forum I used to run

Always interested in trading slabs or rough
Cowboy

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 12:38:13 am »

Fantastic!  Learning is always a good thing.

You're making me appreciate my mill a bit more. I often wish the flat roller was wider, but mine is two inches, which must seem generous to you!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website