Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 09:27:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

I made it to Canada

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I made it to Canada  (Read 592 times)
Former sealdaddy

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:29:07 am »

It was a long, long hwy trip, but I finally made it from Texas to my new life in Canada.
Driving the 20' uhaul truck "Beast", as I affectionately began to call it was "interesting". It had a Huge turning radius, which meant that many times I had to back up to complete a turn, which waS A Nightmare...I wiped out one mailbox, cracked a few rock retailing walls and other landscaping features...lol.
I escaped a near tragety on a rural/urban Parkway. My GPS Navigation program does not have the option to enter the type of vehicle you're driving or how tall it is. There were no exits off he Parkway, except into high dollar subdivisions and 4 arching stone walk bridges cross it. The truck was 11' 3" tall and the walkways were posted as only having a 8' 6' clearances. That turned out to be try for the right lane, but was higher in the left lane. I had no idea what the clearances were there, but higher...so I worked my way in 45 mph traffic to that lane, and held my breath.  I cleared all 4, but have no idea by how much, but apparently "enough", because I did not shear of the top.

I drove thru some very bad wet weather, especially in Pennsylvania where there were violent thunder storms, with blinding rain, heavy crosswinds, dense fog was spooky, as the big rig trucks only slowed to maybe 75 mph.
I was most afraid of spinning out on curves at high speeds, hydroplaning thru the ponding water.
But it never did, but I missed most of the scenery in that state.  The Shenandoah Valley of Virginia was beautiful, as was Maine. The absolute worst roads were in New Jersey.

After hurrying at 85 mph at times on the toll ways, my 3 hr. hold up at Canadian Customs was especially grating on me. Mostly, I but not only, because I was carring 3 handguns with me in a safe that I thought I had the corrct forms to bring in, but not according to them. I had pack my gun range bag, but neglected to remove a 9mm magazine for a gun I'd sold. And they went crazy looking for a 9mm pistol that I had not delared, and supposedly was hiding.
And they X-Rayed all 149 boxes I'd brought, rock and all.
Then when they still could not find one, they told me the 3 that I had declared, plus my laptop tested positive for traces of ****. That was Impossible, but they went on to say they'd test them all many times with the same results...and they could not let me cross...but if they did let me cross, I could not stay.  Well after playing good cop/bad a few times about different issues, he said if my wife (who lived a long distance away) could show him our marriage license, then I could pass.
What an exapperating experience. Those folks really know the Power they have over people.
They questioned me and a few others for over an hour of that time about things that had nothing to do with anything pertainant to the situation. And when one of us asked, why they wanted to know that, the reply always was, "Because I'm asking".  All in all, not a pleasant experrience, but it cam out ok, and my wife and I are together...with a list of a lot of things I need to do in a timely order to stay there.

Rockhounding was not on my mind during the trip, because I was in a hurry. But I could not help myself when I saw the incredible twisted, fractured and colorful strata of granite in Massachusetts and Maine. I'll show some when I get my rock cutting gear up and going in a few long months.
I am particularly looking forward to hound in the Bay of Fundy soon~!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:32:59 am »

Sounds like a trip to keep you awake and on yours toes Don, glad you made it past the grizzlies at the border too. They'll throw anything at you just to see how you react.
Sent a pm, hope to see how you settle in there and what you get set up to keep the rock dust flying :)for 
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:54:10 am »

HO-LY MERDE, DON!!!!

Talk about going through the meat grinder!!! bricks
It's a shame you had to go through such a horror but in retrospect, I'm kind of glad that the Canadian Boarder people aren't push overs or incompetent boobs.
You're a good person but not everyone is, and there seems to be lots of 'nut cases' running around with guns these days so I guess they're extra cautious.
My husband is in a gun club and I think they take abuse for the crazies out there.

The good news is....when your an honest person, telling the truth....it comes out and ends well [generally].

I'm so glad you and your sweetie are re-united.  ura
It's so romantic. yippie

We love living in Canada.  I hope you will too.   Welcome 'home'!!! yes
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:14:49 am »

The border folks are  a terror even on one of my jade beaches. Pee in the bushes and something green will move and it will be the border patrol. Enjoy yourself! Jump into getting to know the place and if you can go fishing and meet people.
Report Spam   Logged

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:37 am »

We had just cleared US Customs at International Falls returning from a Canada fishing trip and off to our right we could see a 3/4 ton van being disemboweled by several Custom agents. Everything was scattered on the ground around the van and the two 20 year olds were standing there in total disbelief as they were tearing the doors apart. They must have looked like drug mules to the agents and I think that the agents do that just to keep from getting bored.

I've been through Customs at Laredo, TX many times but never had any problems. I have seen many that have though.

Glad you made the trip safely and good luck with you new life in Canada.  yes

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:52 am »

Don,
At the border if they find just ONE thing amiss, they are going to give you hell and try to find things they claim are there when they aren't.  That goes for customs on BOTH sides of the border.  And since you came from Texas in the "far south" as those at the border would take it, your accent giving you away - to them this probably meant you could be in business with a drug cartel - because the cartels often will employ folks using larger trucks such as U-hauls to take the drugs north and across the border.  You would have been a target even without the ammo magazine.  I would like to hope they at least let you have your laptop back.

Peter had a really bad experience at the border right before I moved in with him.  Keep in mind Peter typically wears clean jeans or casual slacks that don't have holes in them and are clean, clean shirts with no holes, and he's always clean shaven and his vehicle is always pretty clean inside.  For starters this is the best way to have things crossing the border.  What he had totally not planned on was that the woman he had been caring for at the time (To keep her off the street) had left a small trace of marijuana in the car.  She was on Medical marijuana for pain in her hip that wouldn't respond to pain medications and she refused to take narcotics.  He had vacuumed out the car before he even went north.  It wasn't the Canadians who stopped him, but instead American customs on his way back in.  Thankfully this happened while I was already in Seattle for the first two weeks, so I was at the house with the other woman who when she heard from him by text that he was undergoing hell she went nuts and of course blamed herself.  They had him sitting in a sealed area away from his car while they went through EVERYTHING in his car.  In the end they found a two millimeter by one millimeter sized piece of marijuana, which wasn't enough for them to hold him on.  They let him off with a warning.  As the woman Peter was caring for said, "They can drug test him, he'll be so clean he squeaks."

What really pissed off Peter about the whole ordeal wasn't so much the whole search and the one billion questions he got.  It was that when they opened the trunk of his car they had totally disrespected his religious property in the trunk.  Peter had in a nice leather carrying case a small Book of Mormon.  Now folks can dislike others because of their religion all they want, but for a country that prides themselves on offering religious freedom, their Custom's people opened the leather case, flipped through the book and then TOSSED it back into the back of the trunk to the point where the book was open and pages got folded and the book was half out of it's case.  I swear I thought he was going to scream when he found that upon getting home that day.  I had to calm him down because his irritation on the matter was visibly upsetting the other woman who could get easily agitated at almost anything.  Oddly it was the next day she went nuts and threatened us both with physical violence and got institutionalized, and Peter and I found an apartment together...Wow...I just realized the year anniversary of her going psycho is in two days!

So a week after that Peter bought a new vehicle since the car he had was 15 years old and falling apart.  That took care of any possible traces of marijuana.  When we moved I pointed out to Peter how much all his belongings smelled of the stuff.  He only realized it when we started unpacking everything at the apartment.  I ended up doing about 17 loads of laundry between clothing, linens, towels etc in a tiny apartment sized washer and dryer combo.  I had him take the bed comforter to a dry cleaner.  We finally got rid of that smell.

We never had any more problems at the border in the new vehicle - though border crossings always freaked Peter out because he was now quite afraid of them - however with me with him when we crossed we didn't get any problems, just odd questions.  What we have figured out is that the Trace smell of the marijuana on his clothing and the trace smell of it in his car is what tipped off the folks at the border and that was why they searched him.  Peter just never thought the smell of it would be lingering on him because she smoked in the garage and the car was always parked outside.  As I pointed out to him, smoke travels, the smell stayed on her and she came into the house and the residues would then be left wherever she sat or stayed for a period of time.  Her Clothing and his were in the same dresser, and the washer/dryer were right next to the garage where they had been staying.  So if she smoked in the garage it was only natural for the smell to get to the clothing.

Anyways, I hope Don that you don't have to do to many more border crossings.  But for now just remember that you cannot be in Canada more than six months at a time otherwise if you cross the border they won't let you back into Canada for something like 18 months.  The same goes of course for the American side of things as well for your wife - overstay the six months and if you go back to Canada and try to cross back in you won't be let in.  Hopefully before that six month point hits you have all the proper paperwork filed with the Canadian government and there won't be problems.
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:09:28 am »

The paper work should be top priority. After all you would hate to miss a Canadian winter.
Report Spam   Logged

Charles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »

Glad to hear you made it OK Don.

Take a rest then get the rest of the items marked off the list.
Good to hear from you.
Report Spam   Logged

liz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »

I'm glad you made it ok, I'm sorry about the customs fiasco.

liz
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »

The paper work should be top priority. After all you would hate to miss a Canadian winter.....................They have winter in Canada? Who would have thought! And here I thought Don was moving to a mild Maritime climate with no snow and only an occasional cold spell, generally nice places to be but never really harsh. I what you all are saying is that poor Don had better be in for a lot of snuggling in front of the fire or under the electric blanket? dunno
Report Spam   Logged

kenefick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:05 pm »

Sorry to see you go, but happy for you and the wife.  Sure am going to miss those cookies.  Oh yeah, you too.
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

Growing old is mandatory.  Growing up is optional.

grannyrocks

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 05:10:13 pm »

Hi Don, Glad to see you made it safely to Canada and you are now with your lovely wife again.
Report Spam   Logged

Carol
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

I think the Border people do a fantastic job.....on both sides.   Way, way better to be safe than let one terrorist thru either direction.

Gary (TOG)
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Sheldon74

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »

Welcome to Canada!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here.  It will be a big change coming from Texas. dancer5
Report Spam   Logged
minkos61

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 06:03:48 pm »

Welcome to Canada Don!
Have you started saying "AH" yet. hide

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: