Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 09:49:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Phone Irritations

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phone Irritations  (Read 242 times)
Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:52:45 pm »

So here's what just makes me irritated.
I have the House Phone line and both our Cell Phones on the National Do Not Call List.

I'm just starting to eat my lunch and my phone rings.  I don't recognize the number, but knowing I just switched car insurance companies I figure perhaps it's one of them calling to verify something.  I pick up the phone and notice the number's ID is "Unavailable."   So I answer, and immediately a recording kicks in, "Hello This is Heather calling to tell you about lowering your rates on your credit card..."  I hung up.

So if you get a number on your caller ID from 972-691-4715, don't bother answering it!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Charles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »

Welcome to the club Amanda. We get a spell of calls from Heather, Barbra. Carol, Jennifer, etc. etc. We will get calls about everyday fro about 2 weeks then about 3 weeks they move on to another set of numbers. I've turned them in several times since we are also on the do no call list. Doesn't do any good. They are still at it.

Report Spam   Logged

kenefick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:41 pm »

If it's a recording, I just hang up.  But, occasionally it's a live caller, and sometimes I play along for a while.  Got one the other day, and a very sincere sounding young lady offered to save me $50 a month on my health insurance.  I thanked her very kindly, and suggested she just send me a check.
"Sir ?"
"well, since my health insurance is provided at no charge as part of my retirement, in order to save me $50, you need to pay me."
Click
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

Growing old is mandatory.  Growing up is optional.

Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »

Ken, that's hysterical!   saved2
Report Spam   Logged

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:37:51 pm »

The do not call list is a joke. They do nothing at all about the people who violate the no call list. It's going to get worse though. Political season is almost in full swing. Political parties are exempt from the do not call list.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:32:34 pm »

I got a robo call the other day and I asked the caller what company she represents and she gave me a name. I then asked for their address and she said she wasn't authorized to give it out. I asked why?  click.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:01:06 pm »

you should try owning stocks. I get up to five calls a day with some investment companies. I also get about thirty calls a month using my toll free number to try to get donations or sell me a product. We just had our first political vote. five calls from the same candidate. as bad as phone crap is, the internet has become a sea of advertisements.
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »

Alvin - I wonder if some of the calls coming in on our main line that we don't answer because we don't recognize the number are actually investment calls.  Peter owns stock and has an Etrade account.  We keep getting phone calls in from New York City, Chicago, Florida, and Indianapolis.  While none of those except for maybe New York are investment centers, it does make me wonder.  I just see the caller ID, shrug and go about my business.  I can count on both hands the number of legitimate calls we have had come in on our land line since we moved here last November, all the rest are crap that we won't answer.  The way we've been looking at it is if it's really truly important, they'll leave a message and we will get back to them.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:19 pm »

Yes, isn't the "vote for me" calls grand and the pollsters too, Hello, click!! yes
Report Spam   Logged

Charles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 04:36:51 am »

Wife and I sometimes enjoy the vote for me "independent" polls. After about 3 questions you can tell which side they are on or who is paying for the poll, then you can really screw them up. If your busy just give them answers they don't want and it only takes half as long yes
Report Spam   Logged

Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 05:12:12 am »

since I have a mail order business as part of my retail, I have to answer all calls. You are right about the calls. they come from call centers where they have a bank of phone numbers to use. My three standard answers are " I only donate to the local food bank" "I do not answer any polls" and " I am only buying land at this time" , all of which are true.
Report Spam   Logged

DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 06:29:27 am »

Boy oh boy those b*****s sure get around, don't they!!!!  Get the same darn calls down here too!  I just hang up! Then there is the foreign guys wanting to fix my computer that is working just fine, thank you!  And lately there is another foreign bunch that seem to believe that I have some kind of medical problem that bears filing some sort of law suit!!!  dunno dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 08:58:22 am »

Boy oh boy those b*****s sure get around, don't they!!!!  Get the same darn calls down here too!  I just hang up! Then there is the foreign guys wanting to fix my computer that is working just fine, thank you!  And lately there is another foreign bunch that seem to believe that I have some kind of medical problem that bears filing some sort of law suit!!!  dunno dunno

Sounds like you're getting scammers too Donnie.  If they are foreign and calling in trying to fix something that's just fine or trying to get you to join some bizarre lawsuit, it is a scam.  I've heard of these sadly.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:11 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

finegemdesigns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:03 am »

It's against the law to solicit calls to a cell phone. This is because there is a charge to the recipient of the call.

I have a cell phone but gave up my normal land line partly because of unwanted calls. There are ways to get around the Do Not Call List like calling with surveys.

I use Magic Jack now for long family calls and it's excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum