Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 08:51:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Spritzer pumps?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spritzer pumps?  (Read 534 times)
PhilNM

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:59 am »

Anyone know where to buy spritzer pumps? Or will a cheap fountain pump from harbor freight do the job?
Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:47:39 am »

I would think a small cheap pump would do the trick since you're only pumping a small amount of water.
Report Spam   Logged

Charles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:47:37 pm »

I would think a small pump should work just fine. I have seen people with Diamond Pacific units use aquarium pumps and they work great.
Report Spam   Logged

Justin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:48:46 pm »

One of my cabbing machines just uses an aquarium pump. It works just fine.
Report Spam   Logged
kenefick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:58 pm »

Ditto.  Cheap aquarium pump from wally world fixed me right up.
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

Growing old is mandatory.  Growing up is optional.

PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:50 pm »

Thanks. found one at harbor freight, but it won't fit under the wheels. there's only about 3/4 inch space there.... 
Report Spam   Logged

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:54:12 pm »

What is the problem you have?  If you have Diamond Pacific ones that stopped working - they can be rebuilt for real cheap.  I keep planning to do a tutorial to show how so if that is the problem I may get out to the shop and take a few pictures to show how....   dancer5

Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:25:08 pm »

I like constantly clean water so I use a swamp cooler pump in a 5 gal bucket of water.... fill it to the bottom of the pump.  Every now and then I pour a gal of water in it.  Last me for quite a while.
jmho dunno
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Charles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:42:35 am »

Phil, check the Diamond Pacific web site in there catalog. there units have a small brass unit that sets under the wheels and spritzes water on the wheel. They aquarium pump just provides the air to bubble the water through the brass unit which sets in the water in you pan below the wheels.
Like Michael said if you have a Diamond Pacific unit the pump is easy to rebuild. I have a pixie unit and have done it a couple of times.
Report Spam   Logged

PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:36 am »

Thanks all.

Yeah, I prefer always clean water too, but that's going to require a major refit of the Diamond speedster unit. Raise the top, so any fittings don't hit the wheels, drill some holes and install fittings, grommets, whatever, and the the risky part, drill some drainage holes in the cast iron base, then find a way to attach a drainage hose. Drilling old cast iron is always a big risk.
As this is all diamond, and just the polishing stages up to 3000, I think I'm OK with a spritzer unit, which I don't have. Gotta buy one somewhere. I do all the coarse grinding and shaping on a separate unit that has constant clean water via swamp cooler and buckets.
Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 09:30:40 am »

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 10:57:51 am »

This discussion would benefit form clarification that the aquarium pumps, and the spritzer pumps are air pumps. The small fountain/pond pumps are water pumps. In using any water pump to deliver recycled water to the wheel, the pump needs to be robust to the rock grit in the water.

The reason fountain pumps don't fit under the wheel, is because there is only room for a brass head, which spritzes tray water upwards when submerged. The air passes through the head - not water.

Systems that deliver fresh or recycled water from overhead use water pumps. They need to be low volume (not gallons per minute like fountain pumps) and if using recycled water, they need to be rated for dirty water.

Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:16 am »

Or use a gravity drip system to wet the wheels. I think this is best because it uses fresh water (no grit to contaminate the wheel) and low cost. You do need a drain line to a bucket to catch the excess water in the drip tray though.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

wyrock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »

If you float the pump with styro or some other you are getting cleaner water off the surface because grit settles fast.

Now I do like DickB and gravity feed. Half a bucket with 1/4" pipe thread fitting screwed right into the plastic. Tubing drops down to a needle valve. I have a 5/16" hose as a coupler for the 1/4" hose after the valve so I can just plug and unplug the hoses to the different wheels. They fit tight enough so they do not leak.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »

Not so long ago there was quite a discussion about contaminating the different Nova wheels from the previous grit and how important it was to keep them clean.  I assume the Diamond units being discussed here have separate water supplies??   dunno
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum