General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 05:15:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

HELP! maybe a dumb solder question...

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! maybe a dumb solder question...  (Read 536 times)
Goldsmithy

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »

There's a lot to what you say, Debbie. Torches are tools and no tool is right for every job. Each type of torch produces a different intensity of heat. I have just about every type of torch there is, and can solder with each. These days, for the type of work I am doing, I use a hand held butane torch. Why? It's very easy to use. It produces a soft, gentle heat that will get small pieces up to the flow point of the solder quickly.

I don't think I have ever met anyone who was not plagued by firescale, myself included.  Especially on bigger pieces. Pripps flux ( which is not really a flux, but a metal coating) is very useful in holding firescale at bay.
Report Spam   Logged

rockjunquie
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:25 pm »

Thanks for all the great input.

I am using an acetylene/air torch by Smith. I had used a butane by Blazer with no issues, but they were smaller pieces.

My silversmithing is for the winter. Right now I am more focused on cabbing. But, when I get back to the torch, I am going to try the pripp's and the firescoff I bought.

I have a million designs in my head, but I am so afraid of firescale now that it really holds me back. :(
Report Spam   Logged
skystone

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 10:48:15 pm »

"i get this also, i ended up soaking in the flux, reheating the whole piece and quenching in the flux again."

I assume you mean the pickle not flux? The only thing I do for firescale is buff first with Tripoi on a firm buff. It comes off with a bit of work. I'll use a very fine rubberized abrasive wheel or bullet in my Foredom to get in tight spots or right up against a bezel or other piece. I think sanding takes off too much material but some do it. Best thing is to prevent it in the first place. I use boric acid (powdered) disolved in alcohol, flood the back side & burn off the alcohol. Leaves a protective coating from ozidation that comes off in the pickle. The side I'm going to solder I coat completely with the fulx (I use only handy flux). Keeps fire scale to a min.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website