General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 13, 2018, 04:43:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Flat Lap speed?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat Lap speed?  (Read 2748 times)
dickb

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:15 am »

Donnie:

So what is a carbon brush motor & what kind would this one be?  I have no clue as to which is which!

Ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121265660681?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_1299wt_900

Here is what the universal motor looks like. I am not saying this is the motor for your application, this is just what they look like.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

dickb

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 11:52:07 am »

First said, I'm guessing here since I do not have the motor and cannot test it. It looks to me that the motor is wired for just 1 speed operation now. My guess it is for the low rpm range. The orange wire should be white for the neutral leg and it is connected to the W (white) spade terminal on the motor. The blue wire is the Hot or black wire and is the one that is connected to the hot side if the motor. When you open the cover to the switch box, the blue wire should be connected to the screw on the switch and the black wire from the power cord should be connected to the other screw on the switch. The orange wire should be connected directly to the white wire on the power cord. I cannot tell if the ground wire (Green) is connected to anything. It should be connected to the metal switch box, the green screw on the switch and the frame of the motor. That grounds all of the components for shock prevention.
I looks to me that the other owner already has set the pulley combination on the lap for the proper speed. So, after you rewire all the power to the box and motor it should run at the proper rpm. I would not think that it is necessary for a variable speed control.

That being said, I think the wiring was cobbled together in a very unprofessional way and I would rewire the lap before I would use it. Is it safe to use that way, probably yes, but I do not like seeing bare wires like that and it would never pass a electrical inspection the way it is now.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 11:58:55 am »

Thank you dickb, that's sort of what I was thinking too, that it should be rewired.  I am just not comfortable with the way it looks right now, however I am going to get my cousin to help me with it because electrical stuff it not something I am familiar with.  Right now the only wires that are connected are the 2 that you see, the green one & the orange one.  I have a grounded cord (3 prongs) that I am going to use instead of the one that's on it now.
Report Spam   Logged

DonniesTreasures

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 05:46:55 pm »

Can someone please tell me if a 15 amp switch is what I would use with this motor, please?  I need to replace it because it's rusty.

Since you all are talking about flat lap speed, I have a question.  This is the motor that is one the flat lap I just got.  I am putting a grounded cord on it but was wondering about the speed.  This looks to me to be kind of fast.

I would like to use this gadget with it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HQAVNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=311RXNTLPC45H&coliid=I4BMRN9SY4CWR

Is it doable?
Report Spam   Logged

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 08:28:01 pm »

15 amp should be fine.
Report Spam   Logged
DonniesTreasures

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 08:56:29 am »

Found a 20amp switch, will that work?
Report Spam   Logged

itsandbits1

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 09:56:30 am »

with switches; the amp rating is what the switch can handle at the rated voltages so the higher the amp rating the better it can do it's job without burning out. your motor is rated at 6 amps so a switch that is rated for higher than that at the proper voltage, will do the job.
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

cabster

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 02:46:03 am »

My 8" Inland swaptop can run full speed at about 2400 rpm but it has a speed control.  Not exactly sure what speed I usually run it at but pretty slow.
Report Spam   Logged

Jay

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website