General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 17, 2019, 01:08:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Magazines

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magazines  (Read 1519 times)
Bluesssman
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:51 am »

Thank you, Carol, for the "Bench Magazine" site! I signed up for it...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
mirkaba

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:18:47 am »

I have subscribed to lapidary journal off and on for years and have many back issues. Our club recycles copies free to pick up at the back of the room after the meetings. I can see now that I really should re-subscribe to Jewelry Artist.........Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
bobby1

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 02:30:37 pm »

For those who have older issues of Lapidary Journal, check out the August and September  1992 issues. They have pictures and an article on my raised brass goblet.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

theimage1
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:37 am »

With a name like "Schmuck" you know it has to be good!  Well maybe that is someone else's tag line, but it fit for this magazine too. I've only managed to pick up two copies in 10 years but I would take it more often if I could find it locally. Schmuck is a german jewelry magazine (Apparently Schmuck means jewelry in German.)

http://www.schmuckmagazin.de/about/index.php

What I liked abut it, was actually the ads, there were multiple pages of them, (it's a fairly thick mag.) and they showed European jewelry design. It's actually very different form the US or China (mass produced) material. Much cleaner lines and more simple. (Often with great stones.) Anyway they used to produce one English version per year and I sometimes (twice) found that version at B&N. If it weren't so expensive I would even consider it.

GIA also has the journal Gems & Gemology. It's a beautifully printed mag but more often than not the articles are on new gems, analysis of select gems, some history, identification info, and bits on their chemistry. Overall not that useful for Lapidary people. The GIA bookstore is often one of the best places to find specific information though, but it appears it has been taken "off-line", maybe you can only buy books at the GIA school now. They are located in Carlsbad, Ca. They had a wonderful bookstore at one time with many foreign titles not normally seen.

Rock & Minerals is a separate mag from Rock & Gem. It's emphasis is on minerals and not lapidary, although they occasionally have an article on gemstones. I used to subscribe but as my interest changed I dropped the subscription. It's well done and likely the bible for mineral collectors.

A good place to find other monthlies might be here:
http://www.metalcyberspace.com/magazine.htm

Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 11:17:41 am »

Spreche sie deutche, Herr Ron?

It has been a long time since I lived in Germany, so please do not slap me if I misspelled some German words.

Thanks, Ron, for the links!!

Gary
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website