General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 08:58:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Saw Handle

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saw Handle  (Read 670 times)
SILVERNUGGET

« on: January 09, 2014, 07:35:04 pm »

Who has modified their saw handle to better fit their hand?
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:19:47 am »

Like in 'handsaw' or 'hacksaw'?
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
SILVERNUGGET

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:27:12 am »

a jewelers saw
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:52:45 pm »

I haven't, been using the one saw since I first got it nearly fifty years ago and the other for thirty years. Some I know have turned new handles on a wood lathe and other have used a product call "Jett Set" or maybe it only has one "t", I just don't remember right off, but it is a thermoplastic that comes in pellets and it you heat in hot water and make it conform to your grip and mold to the handle of your saw. I just haven't felt the need to change the handle on my saw, I don't have a problem with sawing to the line nor excessive breakage, I actually wear blades out and need to replace them before they break.
While speaking of broken saw blades, I have made a shapes container out of a plastic soda pop bottle. I rinsed it out and let it dry, then screwed the lid on tight, drilled a 1/4" hole through that and now dispose of my broken and dull saw blades in there. I do this because my wife ran a broken blade into her finger while emptying my trash one day, needles to say she was not happy, so this was my solution to keep her, the dogs and the children safe from broken sections of blades. Be safe, these small sections of blades are like needles and need to be disposed of in safer manner than just thrown in the trash. bricks
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »

I find the original shape of my saw handle is perfect (for me).
When I teach silver or goldsmithing classes I have a specific session on inserting the blade followed by how to hold the saw. Most people grip the handle with a death grip thus they quickly have fatigue, muscle cramps and ultimately will develop tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome. I can always tell which students have that death grip by the sound of their sawing activity. I  hear a RUK, RUK RUK sound it shows that they are forcing the saw through the metal with the death grip on the handle. I teach them the proper chair height and grip on the saw. I have them adjust the chair so that their elbow to hand height is parallel to the floor. I have them grip the saw in their fingers not with their palm. While holding the saw in their fingers I tell them NOT to actively push the saw forward but to guide it forward with rapid up and down strokes. If they need to make a turn, keep it moving rapidly up and down and either rotate the saw with their fingertips or rotate the metal. The sawing sound is a gentle zip, zip zip noise.
Also when cutting along a line I tell them to look slightly in front of the blade not where they are or have been. This leads to a straighter cut or a better following of the curved lines.
Sorry for such a long explanation.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

liz

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:08:03 pm »

Your explanation was very helpful, I'm glad you made it.

liz
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »

Bob is right, don't treat your jewelers saw like a hack saw. It is more about the weight of the saw frame doing the cutting than you pulling the blade through the metal, you job is to guide the path of the blade. There was a fellow on TV awhile back explaining golf and his contention was that it took 10,000 swings to perfect each of the different strokes, well that's kinda true about a lot of things, shooting a pistol well or using a jewelers saw frame, it takes a lot of practice to do it well. A friend of mine bought one of those new Kool Saws for some $65 because his old one just didn't saw all that well. I took his old one and he his new saw and I still out did him, it's not always the tool but the hand behind it, I'm not saying that his new frame isn't wonderful or worth the price, it is, but a new tool ain't magic, it will not replace practice.
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »

I've seen those new saws with the enormous frames. I wonder what they're for? The old standard saw properly held and used can do all that you need to do.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:29:22 pm »

Those frames have no flex so the theory is that you can't torque the frame and snap the blade, it works too, they are great for beginners but I just can justify the price. Another benefit is that you use the thumb screw on the top to adjust the tension of the blade rather than just pushing against your chest or the bench pin. my oldest saw, late 19th C. has a wing nut to do this, really helps to get a good consistent tension all the time which helps with blade life.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:12:05 pm »

I have a KnewConcepts saw and love it! Very few broken blades for a novice and the convenience of how to create the right tension is wonderful. I still use the old one too, with no problems. Time=less stress.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

SILVERNUGGET

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:22 am »

wow lots of good info: Really like the broken blade dispenser idea that one is ACE !!!!!!

but I guess i was to vague with my explanation "but that's not my first time lol"

My problem is Large hand wrapped around a small handle it tends to make tendonitis flare up well my solution is to wrap the handle with horse leg vet wrap its a self stick elastic gauze tape then a final wrap of good quality cloth medical tape as a finish smooth wrap.

so far its helping not to have to close my hand over such a small handle!!!!!!!   
Report Spam   Logged
mirkaba

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 06:25:25 am »

wow lots of good info: Really like the broken blade dispenser idea that one is ACE !!!!!!

but I guess i was to vague with my explanation "but that's not my first time lol"

My problem is Large hand wrapped around a small handle it tends to make tendonitis flare up well my solution is to wrap the handle with horse leg vet wrap its a self stick elastic gauze tape then a final wrap of good quality cloth medical tape as a finish smooth wrap.

so far its helping not to have to close my hand over such a small handle!!!!!!!   

I think its called "Gator Gauze" or something similar. It usually ends up on my wrist though..........
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
Bentiron

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »

I get you now! Well I have a pretty good sized hand too but I have never had that kind of problem so perhaps your bench pin is too low for you. However I suggest that you get a replacement hammer handle from the likes of ACE hardware, you know one that fills your hand and then cut it off and drill a hole for the saw tang, that should help with the too small of a grip. I used a broken hammer handle for my fret saw as it didn't have one when I got at a yard sale for a quarter, great buy, with this saw I can do a 16" deep cut. I don't use it all that often but when I do it sure is handy. Get the hammer handle, that way you don't need to find someone with a wood lathe.
Report Spam   Logged

Goldsmithy

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:56:19 am »

A lot of great information. The broken saw blade receptacle is a great idea. And so is the gator gauze. For years, I just wrapped , I just wrapped my saw holder with black electricians tape (the good stuff, the cheap stuff doesn't hold). 
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:27 pm »

I find that just using a light grip on the handle prevents tendonitis for me. it also minimizes blade breakage.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »

I find that just using a light grip on the handle prevents tendonitis for me. it also minimizes blade breakage.
Bob
I agree with Bob,

If you're whole hand is wrapping around the handle, maybe you're 'stressing out' too much about it.

Relax.....breath.....just hold it with your fingers and thumb or if you feel better with your whole hand.....just grip it lightly.

When I learned to drive a car my Dad told me to hold the steering wheel like a small bird.  Don't strangle it.

It's similar with a jewelers saw....Just hold it firmly enough to feel the contact and try to get into a sort of 'zen' mental state. 

If your hand is anywhere NEAR tendinitis.....you're grip is WAY too tight. 
Relax, breath, and think of the small bird in your hand.  You don't want him to fly away but you don't want to squash him.  Relax...you'll get it.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

bobby1

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 05:33:45 pm »

I remember an incident when I was teaching a class on jewelry making where  one of my students was a just divorced middle aged woman. After I went through my method of gripping the saw handle I let them start on their own. I heard her ripping away at the metal with a determined vengeance and a death grip on the saw. I reminded her that she should grip it lightly and not force the saw forward. A few minutes later the RUCK! RUCK! sound was again coming from her. I went through the routine again and she explained about her (obviously bitter) divorce and her now apparent inability to relax and focus on her sawing. She must have envisioned the saw handle being her ex's neck because she never loosened grip on that saw. She never came back for the rest of the class.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »

That's too funny.
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Isotelus

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 08:50:06 am »

A while back I kept having the black wooden saw handle fall off my favorite saw frame so I turned a new one on the wood lathe, I did pay attention to what felt good as I was turning it. Also paid attention to the fit on the saws tang. Epoxied that one on. Better fit does help relax the grip- but this is a very individual thing from person to person.
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
asterix

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:08:27 am »

I  hear a RUK, RUK RUK sound it shows that they are forcing the saw through the metal with the death grip on the handle.

If you hear a 'RUK RUK RUK', the blade it's going to break soon. The blade should go smoothly through the metal, just a little effort ...

Another possible mistake - not mentioned here as far as i see- is to use the same blade both for wood & metal. HSS blades are not suited for cutting wood. One should have a different saw ready for every different material he needs to cut.

Anyway, if you suspect your saw doesn't advance too well, and your technique is the right one, change your blade and try another one.

Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 09:08:48 am »

I remember an incident when I was teaching a class on jewelry making ""snip"" She must have envisioned the saw handle being her ex's neck because she never loosened grip on that saw. She never came back for the rest of the class.
Bob

One session with the therapist was apparently all she needed...
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website