General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 10:31:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Polishing Chrome Diopside

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polishing Chrome Diopside  (Read 525 times)
Mark

« on: January 03, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »

I have a faceted round chrome diopside gem of about a 1/4" diameter in size.  The table is a bit muffed up, with really fine scratches so that it looks like a fingerprint smeared across the table.  I am considering trying to clean it up myself and i have the following materials and equipment and was wondering if any of them would be right for the job.  First, i have a Genie with wheels to 14K and I also have some diamond powder or grit to 50K and 100K.  I have a Foredom flexshaft with many small polishing buffs and 3M bristle finishing disks.  I have finishing compounds such as tripoli, fabulustre, zam, and red and black rouge for silver.  I don't think the stone is too badly scratched and it got that way from just being in a bag with some other stuff for jewelry making.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:44:23 pm »

I think you will need a flat lap for polishing out the table...........Round wheels really don't do good on flat surfaces........ dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Mark

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »

I have a polishing pad that i can attach to the end of the Genie and then put polishing compound on it, like Cerium Oxide or the previously mentioned compounds.  So i have like a vertical flat lap.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »

So i have like a vertical flat lap.

Mark
Will it make the surface absolutely flat, Mark?
Report Spam   Logged
gemfeller

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »

Mark, you'll still probably round the edges of the table using your "flat lap."

I'd suggest slow, careful hand-lapping on a sheet of plate glass, using a high grade of aluminum oxide as the abrasive.  I have an AlOx polishing film with embedded, uniform polishing agent of the kind I formerly used for faceting I'll be happy to send you.  Just let me know where.  

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 02:24:48 pm »

Now there you go, Mark.
That would do it~!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:52 pm »

That sounds like a good idea Rick.  I had thought that the polishing pad would probably round the facet edges a bit. 

How about the 3M polishing films?  I have the set of them too and had forgotten about them.  They are uniform and go down to a pretty fine grit, at least 8K.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »

Chrome diopside is a bear to polish. It has a tendency to sratch the facets  and that may have been a preexisting problem with your stone . It is a stone that polishes better in certain directions like diamond as well. Before diamond polishing  linde A or tin oxide on a tin lap was used but was often problematic. 8K diamond sounds like a reasonable thing to try just be gentle. It is not very heat sensitive.
Report Spam   Logged

gemfeller

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »

I haven't used 3-M films Mark but they sound like a good place to start.  CD is a bear to polish because it's fibrous  and has easy cleavages.  If the table of your stone is oriented to one of those directions you may not be able to clean it up.  It's a very strange mineral, although very beautiful when properly cut.

My approach would be using the finer grits first, proceeding to coarser ones if the scratches don't go away.  It can be a pretty frustrating material to work with.  If you need a polishing agent my offer stands.

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:38:33 am »

Thanks for the info everyone.  I will try the 3m papers first and i may also have a couple of other faceted stones of the same size that i can substitute if it won't clean up.  Rick, thanks for the offer of polishing film and i'll get back to you on that if it comes down to that.

Thanks again everyone, and i'll post some pics when i get done.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Eu_citzen
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:00 am »

8K is really in the to rough range if the scratches are small. Try 50 or 100K. 14K as a last resort.

As said above, the cabbing materials will round the facets.
That's not so good. Unless you want to refashion it to a bufftop. but then the cleavage might be troublesome.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »

I finished the ring, well at least for now.  Maybe someday I will really polish the stone up.  As it is, you don't really notice it and my wife likes it.  I did bad things with this ring though it turned out reasonably well for my 3rd ring. 
I didn't use a tube to set the stone, I made my own tube and soldered a wire around the inside to make a ledge for the stone to sit on.  The problem with this is that the wire reinforced the tube I made, so that I can not bend over the edges of the tube to cover the gemstone edges.  It still fit pretty good and doesn't look too bad.  I also had to fill in part of the tube as it was deeper than the stone.  I jammed foil into the tube and added a pinch of super glue.  I know that was a bad thing to do, but it works.  Next time I will use a tube and grind out a bed for the stone.  I made this one up as I went and used what I had on hand.  I actually made the ring 3 times before it was done.  I came up with a design that was not very easy to create and had to figure out ways to make it work for the best.  The center basket is a bit off center, but my wife still likes it and she is picky.  When I get home from work this week, I will post some pics.  My wife took a pic that really makes it look good, much better than in person. 

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:40:04 pm »

Da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  The ring!  Feel free to criticize, i mean critique.  I did some things wrong, but used my Yankee ingenuity to make it work.  I learned a lot from this and that was really important.

Mark

Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:11:46 am »

Very interesting~!
If you wanted to, for a whimsical touch, you could add a tiny spoon to the dish, as if there was marmalade in the bowl.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website