General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:11:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Motor speed?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motor speed?  (Read 622 times)
Ranger_Dave

« on: December 31, 2013, 07:16:06 pm »

A few months ago I got a Rock Rascal, model J, 6 inch blade, saw body. No motor.  Paid only $10.

Today I got a motor from an old swamp cooler. It has no horse power rating written in it, but it does state "1725 rpm / 3 speed."

Should I bother hooking up the switch for the 3 speeds, or just go with the one, fast, speed?

I'm also assuming the blade turns towards you so that it pushes down on the rock you're cutting.
Report Spam   Logged

Michael
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:49:28 pm »

the motor is more than likely a 1/4 hp , it could be more as much as 3/4 hp. the rpm is standard for most multi speed ac motors. does it have a belly band or a base plate ? I would set it for high speed. that would be the black wire and the common wire. for polishing, if you work with soft stone ( like Turquoise) you can put a switch in it to use a slower speed.
mike
Report Spam   Logged
Ranger_Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:52:50 pm »

The motor is big and from an old machine. It looks to me to be at least 3/4 HP. It has four wires, green (ground?) white (common?) black, and red. I also have the switch that came with the motor that has 3 speed options.  I could find something somewhere that would show me which color wire goes on the terminals marked 1, 2, and 3. The wiring is all there, I might as well do that.

The next question..... The nearest lapidary store is over an hour away.  Mail order takes too long.  Is there anything I could go to the local hardware store and purchase to use instead of just plain water?
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:25:35 pm »

I wouldn't use oil in the little saw........too messy.  I suggest using water with borax added.  It's a wetting solution and will keep the blade from any rust.  I drain my Rascal after every use..............
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:55 pm »

Thanks, that will work. I have water, and I keep some borax in the shop for use in electrolysis solutions when derusting metals.

Now I just have to put it all together. I figured out how to use the motor mount bracket that came out of the swamp cooler. I'll post a picture when done.
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:41:13 pm »

If it is a saw only you will never use a lower speed.  High should be 1725.  Sounds like a two speed.  Black for hi, red for low, white for neutral, green for ground.
Report Spam   Logged
Ranger_Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:51:34 pm »

On a small, round, bearing cover on one end of the motor it states "1725 RPM/3 speed." It has only the green, white, red, and black wires coming out. Underneath the cover over the wires there are several terminals that are unused. I'm assuming another wire could be hooked up for the third speed. I'll not bother with that and either use the 2 speed switch that came with it or buy a new on/off switch. They're cheap. But, thanks, now I know which is the low and high speed wires.
Report Spam   Logged
Michael
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 06:39:46 am »

Follow the green wire, if it does not go the frame, I will bet that is was a blue wire than turned color, Old motors did not have ground wires,they grounded through the frame. the connectors in the peckerhead are probably for reverse direction.
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:35 am »

The cord did not come with the motor and should have slide on terminals.  Standard coolers are two speed so a two speed cord is on a three speed motor. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ranger_Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 09:44:43 am »

The green wire was definitely ground. It was hooked up to all the ground spots and to the green wire coming out of the power cord.  The switch has  positions for vent high and low, cool high and low, and I believe one for the pump only. I threw away the grey wire that was for the pump. If I hook up the switch, I'll just have two positions for high, two for low, and two for off. I like the idea of an on/off switch and using the old one will save me a few bucks I could spend on rocks.

There are slide on connections inside the motor. There are about 3 that are unused.  I'll be leaving that part of the motor untouched.  bricks
Report Spam   Logged
Ranger_Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »

Well.... I finished it.... and it works! Now I just have to figure out how to post a picture of it.

OK. That worked. The box on the right has an on/off switch and a plug in case I want to add a light later.

On my first use I figured that a lot of water would keep the blade real cool. Boy, was I wrong! The motor mount looks strange, but that's the mount that came off of the swamp cooler. I just cut some extra parts off and drilled some holes. It works fine. I'd say, except for the blade,  I have about $20 into it
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »

You can buy mount cradles for cooler motors but they are hard to find.  It looks like the old mount works fine. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ranger_Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »

It works great. It took a few minutes to use my chop saw to cut off about a foot of unneeded material, a few seconds to drill 4 holes, and 10 minutes to splash a coat of black enamel paint on the motor and mount. Paint drying was the longest part of of the whole project. I just wish the motor turned the other way so I could put it behind the saw instead of to the side. Oh well.... this way keeps it out of the line of fire from water flying off of the blade and around the spray guard.

It's hard to see, the wire from the switch box to the motor is "self bury romex." It won't be effected by water.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 04:54:25 pm »

Dave, I would cover your electrical box if it were me, just to keep water from splashing in there. dunno
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Ranger_Dave

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:32 pm »

I thought of that. There's a cover over the box, the regular kind, and the receptacle has one of those childproof things stuck in it. So far, no water has splashed that far.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website