General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 17, 2019, 01:58:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Weighted slab saw weights?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weighted slab saw weights?  (Read 897 times)
guest3478
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:36:43 pm »

whats an optimal weight that you weighted pull slab saw owners use most?

I am going to try and make some weights of a couple three different variables to use on my 16" saw.

Just want the most used weight first lol!

I was thinking 15lbs would be a start?
Report Spam   Logged

catmandewe

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:09:13 pm »

For my 18" I filled a pop can about 2/3 full of lead (bend a wire and set it inside the can before you pour for the hanger), then after it cooled I just peeled the can off. Not sure how much it weighs but it works pretty good. I poured several different sized weights when I made them and the 2/3 one works best on that saw. Every saw likes a different weight so experiment with a few and then make one that is the right weight for your saw. It is better to be underweight than over weight, if you run it over weight it will glaze your blade.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:37:05 pm »

I used a plastic milk jug filled with water. 
Figuring a gallon of water weighs 8#, you can adjust the appropriate weight easily.
15# sounds pretty heavy.  I started with around 4# and worked from there.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

guest3478
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »

well, the milk jug filled with water did well on obsidian, but its not quite heavy enough for the jasper or agate.
So guessing on the pressure i put on the stone with my hand pushing, i am thinking 15lbs for harder rocks.
Report Spam   Logged
sealdaddy
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:51:27 pm »

well, the milk jug filled with water did well on obsidian, but its not quite heavy enough for the jasper or agate.
So guessing on the pressure i put on the stone with my hand pushing, i am thinking 15lbs for harder rocks.
I use a 1 1/2 gallon plastic jug of something I bought at a bulk store...I forget what.
It gives me a lot of latitude from 5 lbs to 12 lbs...although I usually stay at 8 lbs or less.
You may want a 2 gallon jug for That Much weight.
Report Spam   Logged
kenefick

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:40:38 pm »

Keep in mind that I haven't run a weight-feed saw in a long time.
Harder/denser rock like agate or jasper means there is more material to remove.  Remember, you're not really cutting, but grinding.  If you have too much weight, the blade may be forced against the material faster than it can remove it.  The blade may chatter a bit, leaving saw marks that you will have to grind away later.  The blade may overheat from too much friction, which is not good.
Like the kung-fu guy said "Patience grasshopper".
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

Growing old is mandatory.  Growing up is optional.

guest3478
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:55 pm »

I'm thinking I want to cut a fire brick and dress my blade before I go tinkering with weights. Right?
Report Spam   Logged
kenefick

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »

Might be a good idea, specially if is an older blade.  They can get glazed (my eyesight and sense of touch isn"t good enough to tell), and the firebrick can freshen the surface (exposing more diamond).
Just for reference, I have auto-feed on my saw.  On softer material, it often sounds like the blade is just idling through, but when cutting a really hard material, I sometimes have to disable the auto feed periodically to let it 'catch up'.  I know the engineers that designed these things probably went with the "best overall rate", but I doubt that they cut everything that's out there.
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

sealdaddy
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:36:39 pm »

Keep in mind that I haven't run a weight-feed saw in a long time.
Harder/denser rock like agate or jasper means there is more material to remove.  Remember, you're not really cutting, but grinding.  If you have too much weight, the blade may be forced against the material faster than it can remove it.  The blade may chatter a bit, leaving saw marks that you will have to grind away later.  The blade may overheat from too much friction, which is not good.
Like the kung-fu guy said "Patience grasshopper".

Right, Ken
You have taught me about not using too much weight. Now I don't and just let it take a bit longer.
The blade and slab are only warm not, instead of Hot...and I know the blade will last longer.
The cutting sounds like "scuffing" or intermittent sanding/chipping now.
Thanks friend~!!
Report Spam   Logged
kennyg

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 06:56:27 pm »

Ken not sure about your saw but there should be a way to adjust that. There is on mine
Report Spam   Logged
kenefick

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:05:38 am »

Mine is a Covington 10" slab/trim saw.  The only adjustment I've found is the clutch, and that is pretty lame.  I've considered adding a speed control to the drive motor, but so far, not enough need compared to the expense.
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

kennyg

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:28:10 am »

Ya that's what I was referring to, that's too bad I have an old beacon star and it is very good. at least for up to very hard agate.
Report Spam   Logged
minkos61

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 01:49:48 pm »

I know this is an older post and you have probably found a solution, but what about using cannon ball fishing weight to a down rigger clip . Weights come in many different sizes so easy to adjust . Just thinking out loud here not sure it is the right thing though.

Ernie
Report Spam   Logged

Ernie
sealdaddy
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

Mine is a Covington 10" slab/trim saw.  The only adjustment I've found is the clutch, and that is pretty lame.  I've considered adding a speed control to the drive motor, but so far, not enough need compared to the expense.

Ken, wouldn't a clutch adjustment be the same as a weight adjustment?
Like setting the drag on a fishing reel.
With the drag(cluch) set "hard", you could pull in a heavier fish than you could with the drag(clutch) set looser.
Or am I wrong?
Report Spam   Logged
kenefick

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 03:18:26 pm »

As I understand it, the clutch is more of a 'safety' feature.  If the blade is being forced against the stone with more pressure that it can relieve by cutting, the clutch will slip and, supposedly, keep it from binding.  The feed rate remains the same, it just won't feed until it has someplace to go.  Kind of like putting the front bumper of you truck against a big tree.  The wheels may spin and the clutch might slip, but the truck and the tree aren't going anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged

Ken

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website