General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 22, 2019, 01:37:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Reusing cutting oil

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reusing cutting oil  (Read 1408 times)
bgast1

« on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »

I know there are threads here that discuss it but I can't find them. What are some of the rigs that you all have set up to filter and reuse your cutting oil. I have a 10" saw and I have some ideas but I would like to see some of you all's way of doing it.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »

Bob, I have a bucket with holes in the bottom with a paper sack in it. This sits on top of another bucket and it captures the sludge in the sack, with very clean oil in the bottom bucket, anyway clean enough for cutting.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

bobby1

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »

I use the same method except I use a double bag to get better filtering. It takes more time, though.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

hardrockcafe
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:45:13 pm »

I use the same one bag method, but sometimes have had to use a second bag when the bottom starts coming out of the first one.

Chuck
Report Spam   Logged
bgast1

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:57 pm »

The idea that came to me this afternoon is to get a bucket that a colander will fit over and not fall in and set a paper sack in that colander. How long does it take to filter through the paper sack?
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »

Drill holes in the bottom of the top bucket.

Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

deb193

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »

takes days to weeks
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »

Well Bob we are talking 2+ gallons of sludge and oil, so capacity in a colander could be an issue. Time depends on temps, how much sludge etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

hardrockcafe
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »

Heck, I've been filtering the same sludge for over a year!  :-)  Granted, I'm not getting much out anymore, but I'm in no rush to toss it as long as I'm still getting some oil from it.

Chuck
Report Spam   Logged
bgast1

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 09:39:18 pm »

I don't think I have a gallon in my saw. It is only a 10" saw
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 09:55:07 pm »

a colander can handle smaller quantity. my 10" beacon starr has a wide tank. you must have a narrow tank.

anyway, the point of a colander is many holes. it is a course filter. you can use one but it will not work better than a bucket with a few holes because here the bag is a very fine filter. the bucket hole is just a drain. one drain hole will work as well as 1000.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

kennyg

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 11:09:11 pm »

how about using something like this. You can get several staining meshes depending on how clean you want it.

http://www.amazon.com/Deeks-Strainer-Insert-600-Micron-CDFEZ-5HD/dp/B0027D5PBW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1380516888&sr=8-7&keywords=oil+strainer+and+container
Report Spam   Logged
hardrockcafe
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:38:12 am »

Cool idea.  I wonder if they could handle the weight of heavy mud from an 18" saw...

Chuck
Report Spam   Logged
kennyg

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:07:04 am »

I don't know if it would or not good  question plus as cheap as they are factor in shipping and, well you see where I'm going. On the other hand I'm not sure that trying to recover oil from the sludge itself is not counter productive. I can see cleaning the oil up while its still in suspension though.
Report Spam   Logged
legendarygranite

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:02 am »

I use a fifty gallon plastic drum with a hole cut on top that fits my bucket with holes in the bottom half, I use a pillow case sheet for the fine filter and inside that I use a paint mesh to discard the mud ball after one month. All four items used are recycled over and over. After the fourth bucket I power wash the pillow case.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 10:52:30 am »

as long as there is not hole or open seam in the bag, it is finer mesh than 600 micron. In fact 600 micron is about the size of 60 grit sandpaper. (100 micron is approximately 120g). You need a MUCH finer filter.

http://www.metalclayuk.co.uk/asp/MicronsGrits.asp

bags are cheap. Why reinvent?

even if you had a 6 micron, this is only about 1200g. While it would catch a lot of larger mud particles, if you ever watch the cloud that blooms when you disturb oil that has settled, you know there are many extremely fine particles in there.

you could use a 600 micron filter to separate bulk mud form easily flowing slurry. This might mean less time to do fine filter with the bag. But you then do not get any of the  oil that would flow out of mud over time. this is a small amount, but what is wrong with just letting it sit for a while?

plus, you toss used bags. You would have to power wash these micron filters or they would be clogged after 1st use.

BAG+bucket+time - we really do not need micron screens, super colanders, vacuum chambers, or lots of fancy stuff.

If you really felt driven to speed it up, you could maybe keep the oil warm.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 11:05:34 am »

Here is my humble little set up.  I also have a 10" saw so there is not much oil & sludge to deal with.  Nothing fancy & totally created out of what I had on hand but it works for me.

The black bucket is to to keep the mess under control.

Report Spam   Logged

hardrockcafe
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 11:15:30 am »

Some of us are just impatient.  :-)

Chuck
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 11:27:44 am »

I get impatient too. More specifically I want to get some of the oil back into the saw fast, and then let the rest sit over time.

I find both my LS10 and LS12 pans to be unwieldy to lift and pour, so I use a small bucket-head shop vac to pull oil into a bucket, and then pour it into the paper bag. So I have taken to having two filter buckets. In the first I poor the slightly-cloudy oil I pulled of the top of the mud (trying not to disturb the mud). Then I go back and vacuum out the thick sludge, and pour that into the 2nd bucket.

By the time I have wiped out the saw and cleaned up the vise, the 1st bucket already has a lot of clean oil, which I put back into the saw with some new oil. Then I consolidate everything into the 2nd bucket and just ignore it for a week.

Most of this does not apply to small 1-gallon quantities. But, I have about 2 gallons in the LS10 and 3 gallons in the LS12.

The really impatient might investigate centrifugal filtering.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

finegemdesigns

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 11:33:07 am »

These ideas never really worked for me. Possibly because I let my oil get too dirty before recycle. I bought oil in bulk last time to get a better price from an oil supplier.

Chevron Bright Cut NHG. Works good in my slab saws.

I don't think Almag like the old timers used is made anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

hardrockcafe
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 11:47:09 am »

I've used a shop vac with a catch bucket between the vac and the hose end, too.  What I don't like about this method is how mucked up the hose gets inside and out.  Muck gets stuck in the ribs inside the hose and drips out over time.  Outside muck gets everywhere because it's impossible to keep the hose out of the muck.

I just bought a gutter cleaning scoop to try out.

Thanks for resurrecting the idea of centrifugal filtering.  I'll have to give that a shot on my old muck to see if I can get any more out.  I don't think I can get the same power us a motor driven centrifuge, but I bet I can swing the buckets well enough to eek out a little more oil.  I just have to make sure I don't get my hands oily and let the buckets slip.  What a mess that would be!

My 18" saw holds 4-5 gallons of oil and it's time to clean it.  I'm with you, Daniel:  I'd much rather get that oil back in the saw as quickly as I can.

Chuck
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 02:06:42 pm »

I just hang the hose between use with both ends up. I never think about the gunk inside.

I just had a flash of you swinging around a 5 gal bucket as fast as you could ... funny .... and then I imagined the handle broke and the bucket went flying.

the in use oil-recycle system HP lapidary made used a centrifugal process. But, I can buy a lot of paper bags for the $600+

I think the double bucket system (with a bag that is crumpled because it is larger than the inner bucket) could be spun around the tall axis of the buckets, but then it might require holes on the sides. Maybe a strainer from a seafood boil kettle or something.

..... but if I built this gadget I would be ignoring my own advice about keeping it simple.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 07:48:15 pm »

I use a 13g tall kitchen garbage bag to protect  my hose, wrapped with afew strips of electrical tape.
After use, I cut off the bag and the hose stays clean.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

hardrockcafe
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »

That's the same image I had Daniel.  :-)

Thanks, Nancie!  Where were you 3 years ago?  LOL
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 09:42:45 pm »

I thought we were talking about the inside of the hose.

There is not much gunk on the outside, and it is a dedicated hose (came with $20 bucket head vac).
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 04:23:12 am »

I thought we were talking about the inside of the hose.

There is not much gunk on the outside, and it is a dedicated hose (came with $20 bucket head vac).

You must be neater than me...however, my 18" holds about 5g of oil.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

hardrockcafe
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

Both inside and outside are problems for me.  Daniel must be neater than me, too; I'll have to work on my technique.  Maybe I should filter the oil more frequently instead of waiting until it's all pudding and I have a layer of muck on the sides of the saw...

I also have a dedicated hose and wand attached to the catch bucket.

I think this time I will use a couple of stacked screens (1/4" hardware cloth followed by window screen) to filter out the solids for other uses.
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 02:41:24 pm »

maybe it is tank size and oil depth differences. I am not a neat person. But when the LS12 is only about 11" deep and you are reaching in to place a hose into about 1.5" of oil, well there is not a lot of way to get much gunk on anything but the 1st few inches of the hose. ... and like I said, I just wipe that off. Reaching further down into a larger tank might be different.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Rockoteer

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »

maybe it is tank size and oil depth differences. I am not a neat person. But when the LS12 is only about 11" deep and you are reaching in to place a hose into about 1.5" of oil, well there is not a lot of way to get much gunk on anything but the 1st few inches of the hose. ... and like I said, I just wipe that off. Reaching further down into a larger tank might be different.

Daniel, do you just stick the hose into the liquid and suck it right into the $20 bucket/vac?, or are there special mods you made to the vac?
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
deb193

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 03:38:35 pm »

I started to build a device to use a vac to suck the oil into right into a filter bag. but I quickly gave up and switched to pulling it right into the vac instead. Not a problem as long as you don't want to use the vac for anything else.

But, I had a small canister shop vac and if I pulled more than a gallon, it spit oil form the exhaust. the answer was a deeper tank on vac. Tall shop vac can be pricy. The Home Depot Bucket Head was a very good solution. 5-gal bucket are by nature tall and narrow compared to most shop vac.

Then I bought a 7.5 gal bucket (which has same rim as 5 gal.). I wanted to be able to do both LS10 and LS12 at once (needed room for 5 gallon plus head-space for vacuum guts. Turns I I was being too clever. Now I mostly use 5-gal. Doing it all at once, and then having a heavy bucket to pour into the paper bag was false economy. Now I pull clear'ish oil of of each saw, one at a time. I pop of the bucket head (and let it sit on a spare bucket) and then pour into a bag filter. Then I go back and pull out the dark sludgy oil form each saw.

I have 2-gallon pump spray tank that I use to spray off the vise and shelf and sides with clean oil, which also gets sucked out. I can usually jam the hose under the vise so my hands are free to spray down the inside of the tank. Then I dump this more-sludgy oil into a 2nd bag that will have to sit longer. It really is not a lot of trouble to pull of the bucket head and rest it on a spare bucket. So pouring oil out more frequently means no lifting heavy buckets with 4+ gallons of oil/sludge in it.

Bucket Head are so cheap. I got a 2nd one to suck oil off of the top of my slab bucket. This keeps the soapy water in the bucket lasting a log longer without getting a thick layer of oil on top. It is easy to take the soap and oil mix inside to pour down toilet because it is only a few inches in the bottom of a bucket.

I love Bucket Head.
www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:22 pm »

Here's the one I built:

Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

deb193

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 08:20:38 pm »

yes. I started on a design like that. did not have the triple hose though. If I had finished, I would use it. But I got impatient. It really is pretty easy to just pull it into the vac.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

hardrockcafe
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:11 am »

That looks a lot like mine, Nancie, including the square kitty litter bucket (mine is Fresh Step, LOL).  Except for the plastic bag on the hose.  :-)  I'll be putting one on next time I use it.

I like the way you reinforced the hose couplings on the bucket.  That will be another good upgrade.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 02:25:59 pm »

Could we/I get you to post a couple more pics of the hose assembly out of the saw.  The part that is showing on the top left of the pic.

Question:  Did you post two pics or just one, cause all I am seeing is one.
tks
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
hardrockcafe
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:05 pm »

Sorry, I don't have pics, but if it's like mine, it just has a normal shop vac hose with a standard wand attached.  Tony has made his own with a more narrow throat and tip (better for getting in tight spots and corners), but I just use the standard angled wand.
Report Spam   Logged
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 07:56:16 pm »

Could we/I get you to post a couple more pics of the hose assembly out of the saw.  The part that is showing on the top left of the pic.

Question:  Did you post two pics or just one, cause all I am seeing is one.
tks

Sorry, oil sucker is in Arkansas and I am in Louisiana.  Won't be there for acouple of weeks.
I reinforced the bucket lid with plexi, otherwise the suction will cause it to split.  Also, the square bucket didn't collapse like the round bucket did.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website