General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:44:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

rough too small to fit in vice

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rough too small to fit in vice  (Read 896 times)
bgast1

« on: September 07, 2013, 05:39:12 pm »

I know this fits right up there with all time stupid question.  But I have to ask anyway.  hide  I have a 10 inch Star Star Diamond saw. When I get to the end of a piece of rough it will no longer stick out far enough in the vice to cut another slab. Or sometimes the rough won't clamp into the vice because it is too odd shaped.

I don't want to tumble it and I hate wasting material.

Please advise some solutions. I would be grateful.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:50:13 pm »

two options: slab grabber, or hand feed
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

bilquest

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:50:28 pm »

Make a mortar block. For a form, use a milk carton or box of a size that will fit your saw. Mix up some basic masonry mortar from the Home Depot. Layer your bits, pieces, and end-cuts in the mud and let dry. When done you should have a brick that should fit nicely into your vice... clamp it down and start slabbin'!
Report Spam   Logged
bgast1

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »

I am trying to figure out the slab grabber thing but don't really understand how to use it not having experienced it, I see Tony has them for sale but I don't know what size to get. I am also having trouble reaching Tony via email.  Where can I get a slab grabber or even if possible make one?
Report Spam   Logged

kennyg

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:58:46 pm »

super glue, gorilla glue or use waterglass and glue flat side to a 2x4 and slab to the last drop
Report Spam   Logged
SeanK
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:41 pm »

I love my slab grabber. I almost ordered it from here http://www.idahorockshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=434 but I saw one at the Madras Rock show in Oregon and got it there. It works exactly as advertised. I have found that many rock clubs I belong to will silent auction ends very cheap that no one bids on because they don't want to go to the trouble of gluing, epoxy or mortar.

Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:07 pm »

Tony's does not work as good in a vise with top plate. His is for front-back vise. But you can turn it sideways and lift it with a block.

The best design is below, but you would need someone to make it. I am showing two similar designs.

The unpainted one is designed for greater range of pivot on the top, but I have not yet used it enough to know if it is as good as the blue one. They guy who made it might make some more.

If made well it will last forever.

You can also glue fact to block of wood.

Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Justin

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:30:17 pm »

super glue, gorilla glue or use waterglass and glue flat side to a 2x4 and slab to the last drop

I agree. Make sure you clean the end really well to get all the oil off. I have used elmers glue and let it sit for a few days and it works great. Put the remaining block in water and it comes loose in a few days. The only downside is that oil absorbs into the wooden block.
Report Spam   Logged
slabbercabber

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:26 am »

I have a slab grabber, but never use it.  Gluing up with Gorrilla glue works for pieces from very small to sizes so large I need to install the 24" blade.  I used to cut the last slab free by cutting into the glue joint, but I missed the line on one super slab and cut into the face.  Now I use an old hand saw to cut them free.  If you use this method, a Quick clamp or clone is really handy.
Report Spam   Logged
bgast1

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:20:27 am »

How long for gorilla glue to set up or are you talking about the  gorilla glue superglue?
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:45 am »

I almost excusively slab with a slab grabber like the ones Daniel took pics of.  I go out of my way to skip rounded chunks and look for faced chunks so that i never take the grabber out of the vise.  From time to time i break down and slab a rounded slab that i jam into the vise as securely as possible and then shim up with little pieces of wood to keep the stone from moving.  I often remove the rounded stone from the vise once i have faced it and then put the grabber back in and grab the newly faced stone.   If i remember correctly, there is a thread or two on this forum on rock grabbers, and also gluing to 2x4s and concrete forms.  I think there are pics with several of the threads and i think i posted pics with the grabber in action a couple of years back.

I have also made concrete bricks or logs and then work really well except for all the concrete dust that gets into the oil along with the normal rock dusk from sawing.

I have always wanted to try the waterglass or glue method but hate waiting for things to dry and set up.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

bgast1

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 11:33:10 am »

Agreed on waiting for the glue to dry. Or the mortar method.

I gues I will just have to buy a slab grabber from Tony ang go from there.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 12:03:37 pm »

does you saw have a top plate vise?

My 10" Beacon Starr did. If yours is the same, I am not clear why you would buy exactly the wrong kind of slab grabber for your vise? Or do you have a front-back vise?

Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Mark

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 12:17:30 pm »

Some vises have edges that have cutouts and act like slab grabbers.  The cutouts take the place of the screw heads.  I prefer the screw heads on the grabber as you can adjust them if your stone's face is not quite flat.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

kennyg

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »

her is a grabber that should actually work in both types of vises scroll down to close to the bottom

http://www.eloxite.com/store/category.php?id_category=51&p=2
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website