General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 16, 2018, 12:24:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

RE-faceting a stone with chip?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RE-faceting a stone with chip?  (Read 305 times)
pacog
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:49:52 am »

Hey guys wanted to see if it's worth it to Re-Facet a stone or if anyone here recommends someone? I have what I believe is a Very Nice looking possible Ruby and a green/blue stone( was thinking emerald but has a hint of blue color to it), both have a chip out of them. I know the quality of the stones are very important, let just say they are Higher Quality( Both are super clear, so I dont know if they have undergone any treatments). Also both are decent sized stones I would have to say 10.4ct for the Green-blue and the ruby at 6.3ct.

I will try and get some pics this afternoon.
Report Spam   Logged

jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:42 am »

Hey gays wanted to see if it's worth it to Re-Facet a stone or if anyone here recommends someone? I have what I believe is a Very Nice looking possible Ruby and a green/blue stone( was thinking emerald but has a hint of blue color to it), both have a chip out of them. I know the quality of the stones are very important, let just say they are Higher Quality( Both are super clear, so I dont know if they have undergone any treatments). Also both are decent sized stones I would have to say 10.4ct for the Green-blue and the ruby at 6.3ct.

HEY GAYS ????
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

pacog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:15:14 am »

Hey gays wanted to see if it's worth it to Re-Facet a stone or if anyone here recommends someone? I have what I believe is a Very Nice looking possible Ruby and a green/blue stone( was thinking emerald but has a hint of blue color to it), both have a chip out of them. I know the quality of the stones are very important, let just say they are Higher Quality( Both are super clear, so I dont know if they have undergone any treatments). Also both are decent sized stones I would have to say 10.4ct for the Green-blue and the ruby at 6.3ct.

HEY GAYS ????

Thanks, Jake I fixed it. LOL Re-read it and still did not see that.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:22 am »

An emerald or ruby of those sizes would definitely be worthwhile being recut if they are the real deal and high quality.  Maybe still worth if for lower quality too.  Some cutters will do that really cheap.  Can't give you estimates or even ballpark though.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Eu_citzen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 04:22:50 pm »

Re-cutting stones is a whole different ordeal, but there are several skilled people.
"the gem doctor" (Lloyd?) is one of the more known on that side of the pond. (not europe)

And I'd be tempted to say just the opposite of what Mark says.
Re-cutting is very difficult, requires a lot more consideration and skill of the faceter to preserve maximum weight.

Well, sure, if there is just one small chip is may be easily repaired. Or just the opposite, it all depends..
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:37:25 pm »

There is very good gem cutter here in Scottsdale, AZ and it is not easy to remove a chip according to him. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new stone for a ring and then have him try to make a cut that salvages some value out of what remains of a large diamond or other stone of value. Some stones have such low values that they are not worth recutting unless done by a gifted amateur, not a professional. He sometimes sends stones off shore to be recut because of cheaper costs, lower over head and labour.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »

If a stone is really valuable like a prime ruby or emerald and large, i would think that if you can't fix the chip, you could still salvage the stone by cutting into a couple of smaller stones and faceting them.  But it has to be worth it.  Obviously, a cheap stone would not be worth the effort, but a large quality stone i would think, would be.  The normal process is to take a piece of rough, figure out what defects to work around or cut out and then to facet what you have left.  In the case of a chip, if you can't fix it, and i can see how that could be an almost impossible job unless the chip was really small, then you are left with a piece of faceted "rough", that you then figure out how to work around or cut out the chip and go on.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Eu_citzen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:47 am »

You might be on to something, Mark.

Re-cutting is more like cutting out the chip - just as a fault when cutting the rough.

The problem is time, you have to figure out indexes and angles and then adjust them, since many stones are commercially cut.

If it were a custom cut and notes/diagram is available it'd be a lot easier to repair to.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website