General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:35:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Sponge Rubber discs behind Ameritool discs.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sponge Rubber discs behind Ameritool discs.  (Read 334 times)
bgast1

« on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:01 pm »

Carol's faceting thread mentioned the use of backing Ameritool discs with sponge rubber for certain effects. I've never done this. Please elaborate for me, thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

tkcaz

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:57:04 pm »

Hi Bob,

I do this on my AT flat lap under sandpaper to create a more flexible surface.  Hardback laps are great for grinding and rough shaping, but almost impossible for anything finer than that because they will facet a round surface in literally the blink of an eye. And then you get into this table leg routine, where rounding it off in one place leaves a facet in another. So I use a thin layer of foam between the hard master lap and the flexible sandpaper. This creates a sanding & polishing surface with some give, which better conforms to rounded shapes and cuts WAY down on the tendency to facet.

I use some very cheap plain mouse pads I found at IKEA. I just lay the hard lap on the pad, cut around it carefully (closer = less vibration), and glue it to the lap with rubber cement. I then attach the sandpaper to the pad. They are the perfect firmness for me, roughly between Nova wheels and soft rubber expandable wheels. I never sand/polish rounded surfaces without this set up. The only problem is with the splash cowling on the AT flat lap - it's not very high, and the pad holds the surface near the top of the cowling, so if you're using a lot of water your surroundings can get wet fast. I tried raising the cowling, but then water just leaks from underneath.  So I just hang up some towels and splash away.

The pads do wear out, the water and pressure eventually makes them a bit lumpy. But since they are stuck on with rubber cement and not superglue, and cheaper than specialty pads ordered online, they are easy and relatively painless to change.

Tim
Report Spam   Logged

Tim

bgast1

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »

Thanks Tim, I have a couple of mouse pads that are exactly right size. I've just never used them.
Report Spam   Logged

jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »

It might be added that if you live in an area where scuba diving is done, the rubber from a worn out wet suit is perfect as a backing, and can often be obtained for free.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Carol M

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »

Carol's faceting thread mentioned the use of backing Ameritool discs with sponge rubber for certain effects. I've never done this. Please elaborate for me, thanks.

Hi Bob,
I just bought these ones that come from Ameritool-Inc.  http://www.ameritool-inc.com/store/index.cfm/product/25_2/sponge-pad.cfm

They were $8 each and pre-shaped to the right 8" radius and 1/8" thick and smooth throughout, and pre-glued so I decided to just get a set since they're reusable.   Unfortunately as noted in the other thread, I have yet to put them on, but when the toppers I have wear out......I'll add them to the next round.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

Carol M

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »

Hi again,
On the subject of spongy discs between the topper and the backing disc for Ameritool, the other thread got into how to remove the old used topper from the disc and I contacted Ameritool to find out. 
I'm 'double posting' this info in case someone isn't looking at the 'faceting thread'.

Talk about a speedy reply from Ameritool-Inc.

I just heard back re how to remove the topper from the Ameritool backing disc. 
This was their email -

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Don't let the disc sit in acetone as prolonged contact will damage the backing plate.  Acetone is fine for removing the
sticky residue on the backing plate once the Topper is removed.  Just be sure to rinse thoroughly.  Dawn dishwashing liquid also works well.

To remove the Topper, you can heat it with a hair dryer or soak in very hot water to get the edge to loosen then pry off with a screw driver.  It is work but it can be done.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

So very hot water sounds like the key and maybe some Dawn dish soap, and a lot of muscle.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:10 pm »

Carol - I'm not sure I'd be too convinced they're reusable given how difficult it is to get the toppers off. You'll have to let us know if you're ever able to salvage one! But no matter, the price is right.

I have noticed that when wet enough the ameritool sanding discs themselves have a little give which is wonderful for rounding. If you add thicker foam I understand you can really press pieces in and get a marvelous shine around those curves and domes. I'm dying to try a lot of this but too many other things going on right now - so - for now I'm interested in reading about your experiences (Bob, Carol, all).

I know I tried some dry sanding awhile back using my Ameritool and sandpaper discs I cut from rectangular sheets of SiC. They worked to some degree right on plastic but when problems occurred they were usually catastrophic (piece goes sideways, digs into paper - paper pushes it into acrylic - everything goes flying and piece gouges hand). I tried some craft foam and that made a dramatic difference. Any digs simply gouged the foam a bit but let go quickly. All I lost was a sanding disc once in awhile. And the craft foam is super thin - probably not the best choice but what I had on hand. I would to try that again using the thicker foam like mouse pad or scuba or ameritool-bought. Thinking of just buying some richardson ranch paper and backing right from the source as this sanding method works freaking great on flats. Just need better paper as I ate through my entire stock rather quickly *ouch*
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

tntmom

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »

I just posted on the faceting thread about how I remove the toppers.  Here it is:

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,13772.0/msg,159562.html
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

imakedust

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:23:44 am »

Good morning,
Sorry for not being around for a while, but work leaves me with very little time of my own. and I just got the brushes that had to be replaced in my facet machine so it's been down for a little while too.
I'm hoping that I can help out here a little :) but it all boils down to each individuals personal preference. And I have never had a problem using discs or plates made for one machine on another as long as they fit properly :)

Please keep in mind that I do not have an ameritool or the all-u-need machine, but I have been using the smoothing discs which I'm only assuming are similar to the ameritool toppers. I use these on my inland (poor little abused thing that it is):

Please forgive me the dirt and grime, I tend to work these things into the ground.
Shown above are the 6" smoothing discs stuck down to "foamies" disks that I bought from walmart (pkg of 30 for $4 a looooong time ago). Then I use feathering glue to stick those to the 1/4" plexiglass disks (item # 181172116484) I bought off of eBay for $3.15 + shipping each. 1/4" is probably a little thick and I had to drill a 1/2" hole in the center, then true it up, but it work for me :)

Hope this helps in some small way :)
Sheila
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila :)

tntmom

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:44 am »

That's awesome Sheila!!!  yes  I love DIY and it just goes to show you can make the same exact thing for pennies!!!  yippie
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

imakedust

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »

It really surprised me when I broke one of those thin white discs that came with my inland! Not that I broke it, but the cost to replace the darn thing...over $15 when you add in shipping! And it's just a plexiglass disc with a hole in it, nothing special about them. I had to true the first one's up too! So for $20 I got 6 double thick (won't be braking those for a while), and that's including shipping. 

Have a great evening! Sheila
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website