General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:55:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Can you do larger 'faceting' of regular stones with an Ameritool FlatLap??

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you do larger 'faceting' of regular stones with an Ameritool FlatLap??  (Read 1335 times)
Carol M

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »

Carol, the hair dryer definitely takes them off. We go to the Kansas City show most every year, and the owner, Steve I think is there, he is most gracious, even when he is swamped with buyers. He also sells one heck of jewelry buffer for under $200.

Hi Dave,
I'm delighted to know that the hair dryer definitely takes them off so I'm not 'trying to gnaw them off with my teeth' (giggle) when the time comes.   

I'd so love to go to some of those shows in the US but I'm having a really hard time justifying the total cost....airfare from Toronto, hotel, blah, blah.  plus the chiropractic treatments when I try to schlep heavy suitcases [laden with booty] home.

Re Ameritool-Inc - the fellow I spoke with is named Wendell and he's really unbelievably kind and helpful.  I think they ALL are at Ameritool-Inc, and speaking as a designer, I think the Ameritool Flat Lap and Trim Saw are really well designed and well thought out and well made.
Mine seems 'solid as a rock' [pun intended] bricks
This doesn't mean you can never get a 'lemon' but by in large I think they're a great buy for your money.

I also like that the 'resell value' doesn't seem to diminish much, not that I want to sell mine or anything, but usually when 'used equipment' sells for almost as much as new equipment, it's a great sign that the equipment is well made.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 09:42:26 pm »

Good tip on the hairdryer - wish I'd known that as man-A-live I must have spent two hours prying that thing - every half-inch a struggle, to get it off and then all I got was the pad, not the plastic with the stickum facing downward. At that point I ready for being pistol-whipped rather than try so in came the olive oil. I'll try a hair-dryer next time as it'll be interesting to compare how easy that is compared to the oil (it slid right off but there was remnants to scrub off and dawn did the trick).

On the bright side - we shall fear not the disc that wanders from it's backing plate, because it shall not! yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Carol M

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 10:03:31 pm »

On the bright side - we shall fear not the disc that wanders from its backing plate, because it shall not! yes

Very Profound Don,
Sounds like "The 11th Commandment"!!!  [grin]
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

tntmom

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »

I've never had a problem removing the top plates.  I don't even use dawn.  I just soak in water for an hour or two and it peels off quite easily.  (Haven't tried a hair dryer but that is excellent information to know!!!!)  It even peels off of the sponge rubber disk without tearing it.  I think I've only ripped and needed to replace two of the sponge rubber disks so far.  Trying to take it off dry though is next to impossible!!!!

I don't facet but there is one more thing I have added to my Ameritool set up.  That is "non" psa backed faceting laps.  Only one back is needed and all top plates can be used on the same back.  Just wet the back plate and put the top plate on it and bolt down.  No need for adhesives as it stays true without it.  I use these for flats and the backs of my cabs and have the facet tops to 1200.  They are only around $30 each at JS Gems and cut extremely fast.  The flexible disks with sponge rubber disks beneath them have become my favorite thing for domes and cut my time in 1/2 for finishing the fronts!  I love them!
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

Carol M

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22:40 am »

I've never had a problem removing the top plates.  I don't even use dawn.  I just soak in water for an hour or two and it peels off quite easily.  (Haven't tried a hair dryer but that is excellent information to know!!!!)  It even peels off of the sponge rubber disk without tearing it.  I think I've only ripped and needed to replace two of the sponge rubber disks so far.  Trying to take it off dry though is next to impossible!!!!

I don't facet but there is one more thing I have added to my Ameritool set up.  That is "non" psa backed faceting laps.  Only one back is needed and all top plates can be used on the same back.  Just wet the back plate and put the top plate on it and bolt down.  No need for adhesives as it stays true without it.  I use these for flats and the backs of my cabs and have the facet tops to 1200.  They are only around $30 each at JS Gems and cut extremely fast.  The flexible disks with sponge rubber disks beneath them have become my favorite thing for domes and cut my time in 1/2 for finishing the fronts!  I love them!

Hey Krystee, 
You've surfaced....
Hope you're not working too hard these days at your new 'dream job'.   How's that going??

Re your post - [my task orienting brain kicks in....so I'm trying to get the full picture.  Is this what you do?] 
You just said you soak it for an hour or two.  Ameritool said Very Hot Water, so I'm picturing filling sink a few inches deep with as hot a water as comes out of the tap, and maybe topping it off with some more water from a tea kettle, boiling hot so that the whole thing is 'really hot' [too hot to touch] but not boiling, and dropping the disc, or maybe two discs if need be, in and letting it soak for an hour or two.
Then taking a dull knife or screwdriver and prying up the side a bit and then taking a pliers and grabbing the edge and prying it off....
or are they quite loose at this point??

Re your 2nd paragraph - I have no idea what you're saying about "non" psa backed faceting laps
Can you post a link to what you mean?  I looked on the JS Gems site but couldn't see them by that name?

Are they 'something different' from the discs that came with the Ameritool Flat Lap??
If yes, what's the difference??
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

tntmom

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 09:59:27 am »

Hi Carol,

I'm alive and kicking but August is one of the busiest months of the year for me.  Busiest month for our window cleaning company, Patrick's, my brothers and my mothers birthdays, back to school shopping for the kids and this week we have my brother in-law and sister in-law visiting us from California ;)  I have about an hour or so to catch up here before they get here today from the hotel.

I never thought to use hot water but I can see how that would make it much easier to get the glue to release.  I've found that when they are saturated with water they pull up quite easy with just my fingers.   dunno  The more worn they are, the easier they seem to pull off too.  I think maybe once or twice I used pliers or something to get it started but that was before I learned how to soak them in water first.

The top plates are just like your 180 hard top disk but they have no glue on the back and are not attached to a backer.  I have a spare plastic backer and I use the same backer for all of my metal top plates as they do not need to be glued on.  The bolt holds them in place perfectly and you can adjust them around the center bolt so that you have no vibration whatsoever.  They are way too hard for doming and doing the fronts but they make doing backs and flats a breeze!!!  I was having a hard time keeping a totally flat surface and eliminating center scratches on the backs of my cabs using the flexible disks.  The facet tops solved that problem  ura

Here is what they look like:
http://www.jsgemslapidary.com/diamond-facet-lap/
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

Carol M

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:36 am »

Hi Carol,

I'm alive and kicking but August is one of the busiest months of the year for me.  Busiest month for our window cleaning company, Patrick's, my brothers and my mothers birthdays, back to school shopping for the kids and this week we have my brother in-law and sister in-law visiting us from California ;)  I have about an hour or so to catch up here before they get here today from the hotel.

I never thought to use hot water but I can see how that would make it much easier to get the glue to release.  I've found that when they are saturated with water they pull up quite easy with just my fingers.   dunno  The more worn they are, the easier they seem to pull off too.  I think maybe once or twice I used pliers or something to get it started but that was before I learned how to soak them in water first.

The top plates are just like your 180 hard top disk but they have no glue on the back and are not attached to a backer.  I have a spare plastic backer and I use the same backer for all of my metal top plates as they do not need to be glued on.  The bolt holds them in place perfectly and you can adjust them around the center bolt so that you have no vibration whatsoever.  They are way too hard for doming and doing the fronts but they make doing backs and flats a breeze!!!  I was having a hard time keeping a totally flat surface and eliminating center scratches on the backs of my cabs using the flexible disks.  The facet tops solved that problem  ura

Here is what they look like:
http://www.jsgemslapidary.com/diamond-facet-lap/

Thanks so much Krystee.  That totally helps.
Quick question - have you been able to reuse the spongy inner discs or, when you remove the topper are they 'toast'??

Take care of yourself.......you sound pooped!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

tntmom

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 10:10:16 am »

I've only had two that I tore but the rest of them were able to be reused ;)  I don't know if I can reuse them more than once as I haven't tried yet.  I've only been using them for less than a year and have replaced the toppers only once since incorporating them into my disk setup.
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Carol M

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 10:17:56 am »

I've only had two that I tore but the rest of them were able to be reused ;)  I don't know if I can reuse them more than once as I haven't tried yet.  I've only been using them for less than a year and have replaced the toppers only once since incorporating them into my disk setup.

Excellent - that's good news.
It'll be interesting to see the impact that the 'hot water bath' removal method has on the re-usability of the spongy middle discs.
Time will tell.
Thanks again Krystee.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

Eu_citzen
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 04:22:01 pm »

Batt lap and some diamond powder is a cheap and pretty good alternative. Decently priced, to. I use mine all the time. yes
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:04 pm »

Batt Laps may be too heavy for Ameritool;  Are they on a metal master lap? 
Report Spam   Logged
Eu_citzen
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 05:45:52 am »

Hmm, did not think of that. Nope, they are an all metal alloy.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website