General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:10:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Down the rabbit hole

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Down the rabbit hole  (Read 657 times)
Carol M

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »

HOLY MERDE!!!!

That is totally stunning, Debbie!!!
Boy, you certainly 'set the bar high'!!!  GULP!!
WELL DONE!!!!  And thanks for the photos!!!   WOW!!! yes ura omg clapper
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

Debbie K

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 07:48:57 pm »

Carol:

Believe it or not I was just messing around. I didn't know whether or not it would work; just did the best I could and the machine did the rest. I have a few scratches that I didn't sand sufficiently before going up to the next grit; I was afraid of going too far because I didn't really know what I was doing. The machine really does most of the work but it didn't turn out great due to operator error.

Mark, I don't really know much about the history of faceting. I just know that it's only been relatively recently that people have understood that the refractive index of the stone should dictate the angle that the stone is cut to get the greatest return of light. Most commercial faceters cut the stone to have the maximum weight, not the maximum light return. It's mostly individual faceters, like EU Citizen and Regis, who try to make beautiful stones, not just heavy stones.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Eu_citzen
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 05:48:36 am »

I to was expecting a faceted stone only. Cool!
What index wheel do you have, 96?

If you want to set off on some "classical" faceting, there are a few easy diagrams I can recommend. I intend to add more as time goes.

http://customgemstonestudio.com/custom-gemstones/simple-trilliant/
Nice, easy trilliant, looks good in almost anything!

http://customgemstonestudio.com/custom-gemstones/simple-cushion-2/
I think Regis cut this one in sunstone, Regis?

http://customgemstonestudio.com/custom-gemstones/eye-of-ra/
A standard round brilliant (SRB) variation. Just with less facets on the crown.
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 06:56:12 am »

Willie:

I have a 64 index. I had to go with increments of 11 four times and 10 twice to have it work out. I found a pattern for an egg which I modified; I was only interested in the rounded bottom part, and I reduced the angles by nearly half. I wanted the top of the head to be domed. Thanks to you guys posting the links for faceting diagrams, I was able to find one I could work with.

I had trouble with the facets tying into the forehead, since I had to do them on the edge of the lap. Since I couldn't back off any further, they were partial curved facets. I had to go back with stones to try to smooth them out and it was kind of a mess. The platen is slightly out of whack so I had to hold the stone loosely and let it go up and down and I was scared I would crack the face. And, on my last polishing at 8000, my copper lap (which unknown to me had a coat of lacquer on it) scratched the top facet. I had nothing left I could work with at that point, and was afraid of messing up the copper lap. It was brand new and didn't have any opportunity of getting contaminated, at least by me. I had handmade corian laps for the other grits, except for 100 and 200.

I admire faceters patience and attention to detail greatly. I don't know that it's the work for me ( I work sloppy), but I like the results. I know I'll do more, I'll probably try something more classical next time. And I really ought to get a better index; there are very few diagrams for a 64.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Kingsolomon
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 06:24:53 am »

Nice work ...
  As a new facetor I too understand your vulnerable transition into this art . I am an airbrush artist of twenty years and understand annoying machined tools you need to get to know before you can produce what you want . Not sure why I've committed myself to faceting now , I'll just have to get a bit older so I can call it a mid-life crisis. Wish you all the best , and hope you don't / do get hooked..
  Barney
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website