General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:11:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Saw oil

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saw oil  (Read 2259 times)
Hexic
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:39 pm »

So I know this has been discussed a thousand times so sorry to post a new thread but...

I'm picking up an 18" slab saw this weekend and need to get oil for it. It's going in my garage where *gasp* we actually park our vehicles. So I can't really be using anything that is going to stink up the area and potentially make our cars smell too. I'm thinking about putting up some sort of shower curtain or something to curtail any mist. I'll of course back out the cars when I'm cutting but I don't want some funky smell seeping in.

Recommendations? I checked with the local rock store here and they charge $16 a gallon and can't even tell me what it is they sell.  help
Report Spam   Logged

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

I have a 69 Chevelle SS parked a few feet away from my saws and I do not move it out  or cover it when sawing.  I use the lightest viscosity mineral oil I can find and it is totally odorless.  It is sold as fence and shingle oil where I buy it.
Report Spam   Logged

Hexic
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »

Do you happen to know the brand you use?
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:18:15 pm »

ideal brand white mineral oil from a farm supply store. you want it light, about sus 70
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:27 am »

No brand names on the stuff I buy.  I get it from Tarr Chemical Supply.
Report Spam   Logged

denny
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:47 am »

I use Chevron Brite NHG and get it from an oil distributor in Austin at $75 (including tax) for a five gallon bucket.  It's virtually odorless (unless you stick your nose in it ura) and I park my Jeep within three feet of it.  No resideue whatsoever.
Report Spam   Logged
legendarygranite

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:27 am »

Mineral oil and I think we pay $40 for five gallon bucket. Give or take a few dollars.
Report Spam   Logged

Hexic
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:51:34 am »

Great thanks all. I'll check out the local places here and see way I can find.  Have a buddy who works at a farm supply store. Maybe I can get an employee discount on some minemine2
Report Spam   Logged
sealdaddy
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:56 pm »

I use the light mineral oil at Tractor Supply...for large animal laxative...lol
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ideal-animal-health-mineral-oil-light-1-gal?cm_vc=-10005
Report Spam   Logged
Hexic
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:01:02 pm »

No luck finding the mineral oil around here. One farm store had some of it but only 3 gallons and no info on the label for viscosity. Plus it was more than others so I passed.

One rock store here carries Lortone's rock oil. Need to do some research and see if it might work. Otherwise will hold out for the mineral oil.
Report Spam   Logged
catmandewe

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:25:55 pm »

Check with your local butcher shop, they use food grade mineral oil to lube their saws and grinders, usually about 12 bucks a gallon.

If you have a wholesale oil supplier (they sell oil to the gas stations, large farms, businesses that use lots of oil, etc) ask them for technical grade mineral oil or dust suppression oil, both of those are white mineral oil and usually around 6-8 bucks a gallon.

Check with your local large animal vet, they use it for horses by the gallon, many of them have 5 gal buckets or a drum on hand, not sure on pricing from there.

Good luck............Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
Hexic
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 09:41:42 pm »

Thanks I'll look into those. The Lortone stuff appears to be technical grade mineral oil with no smell from what I gather. The shop also mentioned they sell a coolant/additive but I assume that's just for water. I shouldn't need anything like that with oil right?

And also how much do I need for an 18" HP?
Report Spam   Logged
bilquest

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »

I see that I've been over-paying for my oil. I get the horse-lax by the gallon at the local tack shop, usually 21.95.
Report Spam   Logged
catmandewe

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »

You should need about 5 gallons for a HP 18".

The additive is usually for water or trim saws, it does help but you don't need it in the HP saw. If you have lots of mist you can get "Bardahl No Smoke" at your local auto parts store and add 1/4 to 1/2 of it in your saw and it will keep the mist down.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
Hexic
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »

You know I've made it this far in life just fine without ever having a slab saw. But now that it's parked in my garage waiting to cut, waiting for the oil to be in stock next week at Tractor Supply is driving me nuts!

Turns out while one local shop told me on the phone they sell the Lortone oil for $35 for 3 gallons, they actually wanted $35 PER gallon once I drove all the way across town to get it.

The other shop has their oil in but it's smelly Almag that they sell.

Ah well. Patience is a virtue or so they tell me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website