General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 05:19:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Buffing and Polishing Materials

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffing and Polishing Materials  (Read 7206 times)
thewrightthings
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »

Cosmic and George, you folks are great, sharing all that valuable info.  No matter how long you do something, there is always more to learn, and having such info written down provides a great resource to keep referring back to.
   Thanks
          Paula
Report Spam   Logged
Rayw1
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »

Long story but related.
Our lapidary club has recently become a little health and safety orientated. Our jewellery polisher is just 2 spindles open to the surroundings.  Having read the MSDS for Rouge, we observed the warning "that while not toxic it does contain silicates which could be harmful to lungs", so built an enclosed hood complete with extractor fan and also supply face masks for members to use.
Yesterday I visited a jewellers supply business for the first time in over 12 months, and fell into the clutches of a really good salesman.  He travels to jewellers all over the place and so I thought his advice was of value.  We were told that the old, fairly common I presume, method of finishing precious metals, using Tripoli and Rouge is now very much passe and that most jewellers now use other methods.  The suppliers catalogue in fact has 5 different Dialux brand polishes - white, blue, green, red and yellow - of which white blue and red are recommended for all metals with the others being for specific plastics or softer metals.  The salesman however was steering us to a product called Polistar Emulsion, which is a chromium carbonate based material, sold originally for dental ceramics and more recently for polishing metal prosthetics (think hip replacement).

So my question is what do jewellers/hobbyists use these days.  Is it correct that Tripoli/rouge is now being phased out due to safety issues or were we making up the sales target for the mnoth?
Report Spam   Logged
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »

I'm no expert but if it's being phased out, it's being done very slowly...  There are still massive quantities of giant hunks at all of the jewelry stores I've been to lately.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website