General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 16, 2019, 12:30:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Looking for info on lucky strike thunder eggs

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for info on lucky strike thunder eggs  (Read 948 times)
legendarygranite

« on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »

Would like to dig lucky strike eggs, any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:07:42 pm »

LSMFT, Luck Strike Means Finding Thundereggs! Yes, I know that thunder eggs is two woods but LSMFT on works if I run it together. What does one of those look like? I sure hope they don't smoke but are beautiful dunno
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »

Lucky strike is a private pay to dig mine. they also have tons of eggs just down the hill from the mine (at the shack), for just a little bit more than the dig. I think it is $1/lb for what you dig, and maybe only $1.25/lb for pulling off the pile. I gather folks dig a lot and then don't always take everything - hence the pile.

I went up there in 2008. Kop (the owner) was older than dirt, and now he must be even older. I understand the mine is for sale.

http://www.luckystrikemines.com/about.htm

Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

legendarygranite

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 06:25:12 pm »

Lucky strike is a private pay to dig mine. they also have tons of eggs just down the hill form the mine (at the shack), for just a little bit more than the dig. I think it is $1/lb for what you dig, and maybe only $1.25/lb for pulling off the pile. I gather folks dig a lot and then don't always take everything - hence the pile.

I went up there in 2008. Kop (the owner) was older than dirt, and not he must be even older. I understand the mine is for sale.

http://www.luckystrikemines.com/about.htm

Thank you, just called and can't wait to dig!
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »

A buddy of mine has gone to Oregon pay digs for many years including the Lucky Strike . He considers the owner a tad eccentric but always has fun there.
Report Spam   Logged

socalagatehound

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:16:40 pm »

Hi Jason

I've bought from Kop and Cindy for about 15 years. They are great people to deal with. I've dug at the mine once.  Kop, if he's still able, or Cindy will use the backhoe to free up eggs from the hill.  There are millions.  It's a fun day and there is that rush of finding a real prize. That's the good part.

The down side is that, like all digs, it's a crapshoot.  The prize here is the moss. There are eggs with multiple colors of agate and moss that are unbelievable.  Some of the eggs have moss all the way across, some only a small portion of the face of the cut. Many of the eggs will be upwards if 5 lbs and, from my experience digging in both the mine and the piles, there is only quality moss in about 10% of them, and very few of the large ones. The ones about the size of a softball seem to be the best.  Sometimes you can see moss sticking out through the rind.

So here's the thing....at Quartzsite this year I bought about $100 worth of slabs from Cindy and more moss in colorful Lucky Strike agate than I've ever had.  If you want to be sure you get some, ask Cindy if she has any slabs available. They are worth the cost if you average it out.

By all means, dig thundereggs, but cover your bets with some already cut.  Have a great time.  Wish I was there.  needcoffee
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:35:38 pm »

I'm surprised people don't carve the agate from these eggs more. You can get a large array of features in a  great clear agate . I think if people tried some they would be pleased.
Report Spam   Logged

legendarygranite

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:25:59 pm »

Great advise! Thank you, thank you, we can hardly wait! I will for sure buy some slabs from her, I can't wait to start cabbing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking we will spend most of our time at Richardson Ranch but look forward to dig some Ochoco tube agate as well. Any helpful hints on this field trip dig, Ochoco dig?

Report Spam   Logged

socalagatehound

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:10:36 pm »

Here's some pictures of what I got from Kop and Cindy at Quartzsite.  Just the first few pictures. I didn't post a couple slabs with dark blue agate with moss. Hope to cab them soon. I posted this earlier:

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,12095.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:28:10 am »

Not much I can add except it is a long drive up to the mine and you want to follow directions and not take a wrong turn. While you are in the area, be sure to collect some Whistler and White fir eggs at the free digs nearby. Some nice, free FS campgrounds in the area, too.
Report Spam   Logged

johnjsgems

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:11 am »

I think I met the Lucky Strike owner in 2004 or so the year we did Prineville show.  He was older than dirt then.  He showed me some nice moss but we never made it up there.  We were towing an overloaded low slung Astro van behind a motor home so couldn't do much hounding.  We did make it to Richardson's after Madras.  He also had piles of eggs  for a little more than dig your own.  It was 100 degrees and the pile was just fine for us.  He had truck loads of rock from all over as well at pretty reasonable prices.  John Richardson is worth a visit just because he is a character. 
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:14 am »

Cindy usually has a stock of moss slabs because she makes lampshades from them.

At the Lucky Strike mine you can also hand pick Blue Mountain Jasper rough for $20/lb.

Kop is eccentric, but nice. He totes a revolver and looks like a picture out of the old west.

He told us he could give directions (or may show) us a vein of green moss agate down the mountain form his place. At least in 2008 it was not under claim, and close to the roadside. It is difficult hard rick mining, but green moss is pretty.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

rocks2dust

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:00 am »

John Richardson passed away 2 years ago. He was certainly an interesting character and loved sitting in the shop cracking jokes to kids who showed up. Bingo on the pre-dug eggs at reasonable prices at the shop (though they do most of the work clearing the overburden at the pits, too).

Kop is not as sharp as in the past and seems to have some memory problems, but he still is a great talker who can tell stories for hours. He has been talking about selling the claim since the 1970's at least, but it hasn't happened yet. Cindy is energetic and helpful as ever.
Report Spam   Logged

Yukon Jade

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 11:11:26 pm »

RE.LUCKY STRIKE DIG,I WAS THERE IN AUGUST 2015 AND THIER MACHINERY WAS DOWN FOR REPAIR AND THE FOREST SERVICE WOULD'NT LET THEM OPERATE IT ANYWAY BECAUSE OF HIGH FIRE DANGER.KOP PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR.
Report Spam   Logged
socalagatehound

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 08:43:32 pm »

RE.LUCKY STRIKE DIG,I WAS THERE IN AUGUST 2015 AND THIER MACHINERY WAS DOWN FOR REPAIR AND THE FOREST SERVICE WOULD'NT LET THEM OPERATE IT ANYWAY BECAUSE OF HIGH FIRE DANGER.KOP PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR.

Yes, Kop passed sometime just before this years Quartzsite shows.  Cindy was at the Pow Wow and will carry on at the mine, as far as I could tell.

His loss will be felt throughout the hobby.

Craig
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website