General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:57:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Having fun faceting

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having fun faceting  (Read 512 times)
imakedust

« on: April 08, 2013, 01:27:09 pm »

A work in progress,
Hi,
I recently received a gift from Helen Stark :) Thank you Helen! A beautiful round of encased silver blue glass...See I remembered to take a beginning photo! (I always forget the photos)

Had to rough up the back a little :)

Now I thought this pretty glass cab was just perfect the way I received it, but Helen gave me some suggestions as to how I could improve on it by cutting :) So, just because I LOVE to cut new stuff and it changes colors with the light, I thought of faceting it...this is what I came up with so far - roughed in pattern

I thought the beginning stone was a nice shape for a rose cut so just started with that in mind. No pattern to fallow, I just wrote down the angles as I used them, had the 80 gear on so picked a star to float above what I saw at the time as the earth sitting in the palm of a hand. It seems to have turned out like I envisioned it :)
Top finished!

Sadly I have to put the stone on hold for most likely two weeks, I plan on putting a small step cut on the back with a very large polished flat...and of course I have to polish the girdle cuts.

Hope you like it so far...please remember this was cut for fun and is personal, I did not fallow any patterns or use the correct angles for the material. I just wanted to add a little sparkle and have a pleasing shape.

Thanks again Helen, and thank everyone else for looking!
Sheila
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila :)

helens
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:58:46 pm »

Shelia, WOW... that is fast progress!!! I'm so excited to see what you do with it!!!

Sheila donated the prizes for one of the Killer Cab contests a while back. She sent a whole bunch of simulated opals in blue... I'd never seen anything like them before, and while they are small, they are incredibly interesting, and I am still trying to figure out exactly how to use them. I promised Sheila that when I made anything with them, I'd send her one! Well... a few months passed, and I still haven't made anything interesting...

But as they are sitting in a small jar on my desk (just waiting for that lightbulb to appear)... I started feeling guilty. I mean months and months....

So I sent Sheila a glass cab, because I was curious what she could do with it:).

Sheila is the cabber for a high end jewelry designer in NYC, so cabbing and faceting is actually her full time job. So I was really dying to see what she could do with this... and Wow! Can't wait to see it done!! Very neat!!! Look at the star on top of the facet... that's gorgeous!!!  
Report Spam   Logged
RegisG
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:07 pm »

Very cool Sheila, especially just picking angles.  No GemCad needed for you [lol].   I just started faceting again after 20 years or so and know that freeform faceting is pretty far from freeform cabbing.
Cool!
Regis  
Report Spam   Logged
imakedust

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:05:13 pm »

Hi Helen,
You did not have to feel guilty! (although I love this glass) I did not expect anything in return for the prizes I sent out :) But I am hoping for photos some day :)
I'm glad you like how this is turning out :) The photos do not so off the disco ball effect that it has in the sunlight! You get little spots of light everywhere...when it's all done I'm going to have to send it to you to see in person!

Hello Regis,
I'm not that good :)
Because it had a solid center, I just followed the shape Helen provided. Alternating between short and tall numbers and no-numbered lines on my index wheel :)

When it came to the top, the star just fell into place.
Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:39:16 pm »

Lovely creation. Looks fantastic as is.
How long does something like that take to create?
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
imakedust

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:10:41 pm »

Hello Kurt,
I have no idea how long it took Helen to create the original stone...
but my end has about 4hrs into it so far, spread out over a couple of days. Large facets are harder to polish, and I had a couple of false starts when setting up the rough grind. When I put a facet in the wrong place, I have to completely start over :)
When I finish it, I'll try for better photos!
Thanks! Sheila
Report Spam   Logged

Helene

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:40 pm »

Wow.  The patience you have.  One mistake and start over and it's easy to over-cut when polishing such small faces.
Report Spam   Logged

imakedust

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:51:13 pm »

Hello Helene,
Worst part is that the stone gets smaller the more you re-work it!
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:44:00 pm »

saved1 like Mike used to say: once removed you can't put it back! chuckle

Where is Mike (skystone) anyway? and any news of Mamma Sara?
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
helens
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:21 pm »

Sheila is a MASTER cutter... I'm not going to reveal her employer, but lets just say that their stuff is sold at the best boutiques in the USA...for absurd sums of $$. Sheila produces cabs for them full time, so you can imagine how fast she is. It's a big treat to see her pix of a freehand:)! All her stones are calibrated to precise sizes, so imagine her millimeter muscle memory after thousands of cabs!!

You don't have to send your work of art to me Sheila, I'm thrilled to see the photos!! What a talent you are!!  ura ura ura
Report Spam   Logged
RegisG
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:34 am »

Hello Helene,
Worst part is that the stone gets smaller the more you re-work it!

That is why some of us use "extra small" dops... LOL   headbang118

RG
Report Spam   Logged
imakedust

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 11:32:12 am »

Oh Helen,
I'm not a master anything! hide I just have a knack for fitting square pegs into round holes But thanks for the compliment! ura

Hi Kurt,
I need a sign made with that saying! I seem to be telling people lately that I can make it smaller, but there is no way I can make a stone larger without glue and more stone!

Hi Regis,
if you take a close look at my last side-view, you'll see that there were times that I should have used a small dop myself! bricks

Please forgive me if I don't come back and reply for a week or so. If I'm typing then I'm not working, and I have to get my behind to work!

Have a great week! yippie Sheila
Report Spam   Logged

helens
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:51:21 pm »

Sheila, you are too a master cabber:).

We don't get much activity on the faceting forum... so it's great to see your posts:).
Report Spam   Logged
Eu_citzen
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »

Looking forward to the pics to! Faceting without a diagram is always fun, and sometimes challenging.
Report Spam   Logged
spiffman
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 03:48:36 pm »

this is a few days after the fact.  that looks really cool. a couple of the pictures are very cool, not that they all have less merit than the other. hope you understand my point. anyway very cool..
Tim
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website