Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 30, 2020, 12:07:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Has anyone tried "faceting" a clear "thicker" rock pendant?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone tried "faceting" a clear "thicker" rock pendant?  (Read 279 times)
sealdaddy
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:49 pm »

I wonder if that would much, if any, it would make it light up?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »

Not really. the reason faceting works is because cutters and scientists have determined the " critical angle " for the bottom of a faceted stone to return the most light possible of the light entering the top of the stone . For quartz this angle is about 43 degrees  and other stone types are not far off . This is why the bottom of a facet stone , the pavillion is so steep , it has to be around 43 degrees or the light returned is less than the maximum , you would have to say it is poorly cut. You can cut  various facets on any clear stone and occasionally viewers will randomly get a good  light return  but the effect is largely psychological , the facets look expensive .
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:23:33 pm »

Thanks, my knowledgeable friend~
I may try a poor example...just for the heck of it.
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »

I do variations on that theme . Start with a sort of triangle . Take a piece of clear stone and decide on a length for the [pendant and pick a front that is a flattish curve  when seen in cross section . Make the  back two angles that are a bit steeper so that on cross section you have a sort of triangle . Add curves to the bottom and top of the pendant to maximize on the angles from which you get good light return.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum