General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 17, 2019, 01:27:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Mens Pendants

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mens Pendants  (Read 1832 times)
Taogem
Administrator

« on: January 11, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »

I am having a hard time thinking up even simple silver type pendant designs for men. The few I have made so far are far from it.  Too feminine..

There are many minerals that I visualize being something that at least I could see myself wearing, but the settings are where I am drawing a blank.

Anyone care to share a piece or two of mens pendants that you have made?

Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:51:33 pm »

Hey George...Heres one I tried a couple weeks ago. Its an elk ivory with an inset nugget and silver cap/bail on a leather cord. Everybody likes it and I got orders for 2. Its a little rugged (first attempt) I threw it on the dop plate to set the epoxy and it bubbled a bit.(OOOPS)  Not noticeable unless you look really close and its mine any way.  :) .............Bob.

Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »

Now that is sure a mans pendant..

The leather helps too.

Did you cast that silver?

Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:02:49 pm »

Pretty rugged huh?.. No the silver is cut and shaped from Rio Grande decorative cuff material with a tube soldered on top and antiqued.. Pretty easy to make. I guess I don't want to cook the epoxy though.  :-\
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Bluesssman
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 06:13:03 pm »

I am glad you started this post as I have the same problem. Maybe it is the fact I really don't wear any kind of jewelry or just find women's jewelry much more interesting...
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 07:01:06 pm »

I am glad you started this post as I have the same problem. Maybe it is the fact I really don't wear any kind of jewelry or just find women's jewelry much more interesting...

It's the same with me. I do not wear jewelry with the exception of a turquoise ring that I have had for some time.

Very much interested in how to make some pieces that are a bit more "rugged" like Bobs.

Leather is a plus and maybe the use of wider and or thicker silver settings are part of the answer. Instead of the variety of dainty styled bezel tapes.

Report Spam   Logged

travelerga
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »

I have the same problem ,of sorts. I do not know what a man would like. I look at all the men wearing necklaces t osee the design they prefer. Though I do live in a town called sugar town,if you get my drift. lol
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »

Though I do live in a town called sugar town,if you get my drift. lol

;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

theimage1
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »

I'm thinking something a bit more "manly" ...

Maybe a razor wire necklace with the proper ordinance.

Something that can deliver pain and dish it out!
Report Spam   Logged
Lavenderfish
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 08:57:26 pm »

ROFL!!!

Oh I'd SO wanna be a fly on the wall with a video camera rolling when you try going thru airport security with that manly pendant on.....haw haw
Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:56 pm »

Fun post! I have given Rena a hard time about not making any "man" jewelry. She too has a hard time seeing male jewelry although she did make me a very nice ring.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38:19 pm »

Good one theImageOne !  ;D ;D

Too funny !!

Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 10:04:24 pm »

How about a man's ring with sperm swimming on the surface (or at least that was what I had in mind when I made it)?  Sorry that I don't have a side view of it at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:09:02 pm »

Post what views you have, sounds like a fun ring!
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 08:50:43 am »

Here is a better view (on the left) of the ring. I made it by outlining a ring blank on a sheet of wax, cutting it out and wrapping it around a dowel. I then used a wax pen to build up the seat for the stone and to add the "sperm" design.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 04:18:09 pm »

Well, it seems that most of us have the same problem with visualizing and creating a mans gemstone and bezel or other setting type pendant jewelry.

Maybe like in Mirkabas piece a thicker more bold use of the silver will help.

Leather is a plus for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »

Here is my attempt at making "manly jewelry".

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged
Seth
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 04:10:36 pm »

I have one free form cab of chrysocolla that is large that I am cutting and I may blow a hole in the top for a leather mount. I may just make a hole and make a silver ring for mounting just don't know yet. I think a (man) stone should be made with less bells and whistles if you know what I mean. Bluessman just has me laughing my but off. He has the bling bling LOL.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

Bluessman just has me laughing my but off. He has the bling bling LOL.

Ditto.... Way too funny  ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

theimage1
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 05:09:01 pm »

Bluesssman ... I like it, now if you had about 7-8 more similar ones, you'd look like Mr. "T" if you wore them all at once!
Report Spam   Logged
Lavenderfish
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »

I'm rolling on the floor cracking up too!!

"Real Men Wear BIG Bling" LOL   ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Steel and Stone
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 06:27:20 pm »

Good one Bluessman I'm still laughing at that one.

Here are a few pendants that I have made more for the male gender.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 06:54:16 pm »

Steel and Stone, your work is really, really nice!
Report Spam   Logged
Steel and Stone
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 07:07:59 pm »

Thanx bluessman,

I  have not put torch to silver for almost 2 months now I starting  to get the shakes. Hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks I will be back in bussiness if I can put all of this moving not moving, house is sold and then it not crap behind me.

I have not sold many pieces to men yet. I have yet to pick a really good show with big crowds in the right area for that. hopefully this year will be better.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:44 pm »

Bluessman, do you or anyone else give thought to mineral types and or colors when designing for men as compared to women?

As always I really enjoy checking out your pieces. They get my creative juices flowing.

Sometimes it is just difficult to put the money out. I really am past due for an order with Rio. Two or three sheets and a variety of tapes hits a couple hundred bucks pretty fast.

It's sort of an investment as trying to get about 30 "quality" pieces finished so I can add to my existing gemstone site or create another just for jewelry.

Thinking I might have to veer away from making similar pieces to yours. I just like the overall look so much, but the backing is a bit costly.  Thinking will keep things more simple to start with and do some simpler step type settings less the backing.

Pretty much narrowing the setting part down to heavier and thicker silver settings for the mens pieces, combined with leather.

Report Spam   Logged

Steel and Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 03:16:40 am »

George,

I give thought to color when I am working on a mens piece but just as important to me is shape.
Report Spam   Logged
wywyrd
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 08:21:38 am »

I like to wear jewelery made by me or others as long is its not too "girlie" ill wear it. Of course "too girlie" is a matter of opinion but i'm flexible when it comes to wearing a cool piece of art.
Report Spam   Logged
mirkaba

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:17 am »

Specifically for men I have sold rhyolite, coprolite, gold, elk ivory, lapis and opal. More opal and gold than anything...Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Lavenderfish
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:43 am »

Do you guys find that you and/or your male customers are more attracted to darker, richer colored stones? Greens, blues, black, browns, deep reds?

More angular shapes like square, rectangles, etc. rather than round, oval?

There's one metalsmith that I know of who makes the COOLEST watches & bracelets for men mostly with sterling silver. I suppose something along similar lines could be done with stones incorporated in lieu of the watch movement, check him out:

www.silvermason.com

From a female point of view, men wearing jewelry is Hot!  8)
Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 12:04:35 pm »

Lavenderfish, I think you are right about the darker tones. I also think men like bolder shapes with hard angles. I think men are strange creatures when it comes to jewelry...
Report Spam   Logged
Steel and Stone
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 02:48:03 pm »

From a female point of view, men wearing jewelry is Hot!  8)

Alright!!!! I wear lots of jewelry.  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 03:27:05 pm »

Do you guys find that you and/or your male customers are more attracted to darker, richer colored stones? Greens, blues, black, browns, deep reds?

More angular shapes like square, rectangles, etc. rather than round, oval?

That is what I am starting to think Carol. Darker, and just like you suggest... Square, rectangles over round or oval..

Report Spam   Logged

Lavenderfish
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 04:06:23 pm »

I dunno if you guys could actually pull this off as the experiment may work in theory only, buuuut.....

Seems to me that between all of the boys who are regulars on this forum there are all the creative and technical skills represented that you could put your big brains together and come up with a great piece of men's jewelry. A ring, pendant, bracelet, buckle, tie-tacs, cufflinks, whatever you can think of to create would be Step 1. Step 2, what stone to use, and so on from there.

Then once you get a design all hammered out that everyone is happy with, somebody could actually make it.

It would take awhile and there'd probly have to be some voting on ideas? (like "Hot vs. Not")  to make decisions, but what a blast to wind up with really nice piece of jewelry made BY men FOR men!

Report Spam   Logged
wywyrd
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 04:37:25 pm »

I like stones cut  with freeform curved  angles and jewelery with 2 or more stone pieces matching like George's Imperial Stichtite and Zoisite Druzy or the examples currently above and below. But not the pink for men! lol anything but that.    (unless you are designing for gay men then an inverted pink triangle would be ideal:)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 05:13:50 pm »

I dunno if you guys could actually pull this off as the experiment may work in theory only, buuuut.....

Seems to me that between all of the boys who are regulars on this forum there are all the creative and technical skills represented that you could put your big brains together and come up with a great piece of men's jewelry. A ring, pendant, bracelet, buckle, tie-tacs, cufflinks, whatever you can think of to create would be Step 1. Step 2, what stone to use, and so on from there.

Then once you get a design all hammered out that everyone is happy with, somebody could actually make it.

It would take awhile and there'd probly have to be some voting on ideas? (like "Hot vs. Not")  to make decisions, but what a blast to wind up with really nice piece of jewelry made BY men FOR men!

Well it took a woman to point out a great idea to us guys with the big brains on how to maybe have some fun with this.  ;D

Great idea Carol..

I'm a thinking !

Report Spam   Logged

Lavenderfish
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 06:19:57 pm »

Go for it you guys! Can't wait to see what you'll come up with  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 06:25:50 pm »

Go for it you guys! Can't wait to see what you'll come up with  ;D

I started a new sub board for this. Hopefully it will work out as you suggested. Giving us some opportunities to share some design ideas.

Thanks for the idea Carol !
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website