General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 21, 2019, 08:31:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28  (Read 1923 times)
asianfire

« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2013, 06:21:01 am »

To finish out the year here on this tread, before we start a new sticky one and let this one go:

Not much has happened since I last posted as I got too deeply into FA starting with real rough. That takes a lot more time than just with windowed material.  saved2

Darker beauty with a mixture of colors. Depending on light-conditions colors change and some are visible at any time. Unfortunately, while the color cover is a 100%, there is no single angle to show it in its entirety. There are orbs in the back and the back needs some more work to iron out the spots where I left the polish-cream. While possibly not considered the best color, I like the look of it. Its visible, but not over the top. There is some subtle-ness to it, that exudes a kind of noble touch, that I prefer over a lot of other pieces. Its definitely a piece that is going to be worn by me personally. Coming in at 130ct, so its not really for a delicate feminine neck. :)
Rough provided by Christopher Anthony, so I'm indebted to him yet again for providing exceptional pieces to work on.

Starting-point

Outdoors finished

Back and front

Five weeks in the works, but definitely worth the effort. Al the while learning new things.

Lesson number one: the brightest colors are quite often the first you hit. So working from the edge (as advised by nearly everyone working that material) means that you are missing out on some subherb colors. Takes a lot longer, but if you are ready and can preserve it, its definitely worth it. The working from the edge approach is more suited for windowed pieces.

Lesson two: got a good color? Dos not mean that you are even close to the color itself and the color changes on the way down in often unexpected ways even if you did not remove any colored layers. A third of my piece is like that. And because I dont know how deep the color is, I cant use the machine as it looks like I'm working directly on the color. So hand-sanding my way to the color has lead me in one place nearly two mm down and I'm still not there. Then you can imagine why it has taken so long to get thus far.

Lesson three: Letting the stone heat up during polish, when you are directly on the color; intensifies the color somewhat, but also darkens the appearance. Sanding it over makes it a bit brighter again but endangers a change of color.

Lesson four: Blue color is desirable and highly priced because the layers are impossibly thin. You need to be lucky to get them. You either end up with a bluish green (if not enough polish) or drop into a void (if too much polish/sanding).

Lesson five: Six years of practicing means nothing when you come across new material that you know is of good quality and you want to take extra care to get it right. :) :)

Next up was another JEBEREDHIAH FA

This one started with peeling onions a while back.

Did not get far with the colors as every-time I thought I could settle on something, something larger peeled away giving me a completely new picture. So I decided to keep what I've got and do some carving instead.
Here are some stages

A few angles of the salamander

Have not seen sun in a while, so this will have to do as the best picture from the last couple of days

A size comparison with my son who is pretty much as big as me.

But lets save the best for last:
The pictures above are all taken the way any viewer would see them. When I look down on the pendant while wearing it, I get much stronger color and metallic effect.

And best of all: Not the fire I'm afraid. But something just as mesmerizing. The chalcedony or is it sard, that is nearly void of the brown color. Its that layer that is vexing me since months now on this material, because it alters the colors underneath according to thickness, and its translucent property does not allow perception of depth. But,......... when light hits the piece from above, it seems to literally illuminate the whole of the salamander from within and makes it stand out.

And to end the year one more JEBEREDHIAH

Was lucky to get a rather big piece of Christophers Agate and after taking off the colored top, it revealed continued structures underneath.

The fringe of which has an interesting design that lends itself to either a face with strange/punk-like hair or a head of some sorts. After starting with the idea of either a horse or a birds head, I settled for attempting something I rather fear; a dragon head. Have always shied away (even more more than human faces) thus far. So make it or break it, I gotta try sometime? Right? No better time than right now.

Here is the top I got out of that piece and cut to size on the right to start the new project.

OK, little progress to be had this week. Preformed head and torso. Now I got to sand it down for the rest of the week and hopefully get some details into it by coming weekend.

Got into trouble several times by hitting dirt and empty spaces. On top of that, there seems to be a fracture running right across the snout. So will be on my toes all the way up to the finish-line, if I want to keep it in one piece.

The biggest problem still remains: Finding a balance between color/fire and definition of subject at hand.

Indoor under normal room-light on the left and outdoor in full sunshine on the right

Christopher has some wonderful color in the material he collects from his claim, but its hard to have them shine in a massive piece like this. Its hard enough to take pictures of FA any-day, but when it comes to bigger pieces like here, the stupendous colors often get lost in the whole composition.

Thats it for 2013. Looking forward to a better 2014. Kurt

Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
Steve

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2013, 10:03:59 am »

Your past year was great to watch with the progressions of the carvings.  Since you've 1st posted, you have grown so much in the design concepts and the execution of them............Congrats there Kurt............Looking forward to'14.

Steve
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

southerly

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2013, 02:12:42 pm »

Amazing catalogue of work Kurt, you just keep getting better and better. You have always had a great eye for the design and you technical execution gets better on every piece. Like Steve I am looking forward to your creations in 2014.
David
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2013, 07:47:37 pm »

Thank you Steve and David  hugs32 hugs32

The number of pieces is getting smaller and take longer for some reason, but as long as I can get, lets say 3-4 pieces out of this hobby a year, with which I am reasonably happy, I will keep trying.

Thanks again for your continuous support of my endeavors.  toocool2

And a big thank you for everyone keeping this forum afloat and available as a fantastic learning-tool.  yes woohoo2
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
Steve

« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2013, 08:02:08 pm »

Thank you Steve and David  hugs32 hugs32

The number of pieces is getting smaller and take longer for some reason, but as long as I can get, lets say 3-4 pieces out of this hobby a year, with which I am reasonably happy, I will keep trying.

Thanks again for your continuous support of my endeavors.  toocool2

And a big thank you for everyone keeping this forum afloat and available as a fantastic learning-tool.  yes woohoo2

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

sealdaddy
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2013, 06:45:59 am »

Kurt,
Your Sleeping Angel is Awesome...as all your work is, my friend.
But please tell me what material the center bottom cab shown below is?

* Kurts carvings.jpg (65.71 KB, 600x462 - viewed 12 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:55 am »

Thank you Don.

That would be one out of 4 Montana Agates in that pic-combo. Love Montana to work with. Its next to Fire Agate, Pietersite and Spectrolite my all-time favorite material.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website