General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 20, 2019, 07:19:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28  (Read 1924 times)
lonelygems

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:53 am »

Good resume of your carvings Kurt...always interesting to follow your journey in carving yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
asianfire

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:09 am »

Its been a while since updating here:

Had seahorses on my mind for some time now and its time to give it a shot.

First up are those two: Palm with a lot of prominent plumes, hardness differs a lot between colors.

And a Chrysocola to practice shape

That thing is incredibly hard, just preshaping used up 7 burrs, and I mean there is not a grain of material left on the burrs, they are completely used up.:) :)

The palm is relatively soft and I promised a seahorse to Brooks, so I need to get a feel for the material, so I decided to start with this one in the first place.

But in the end, the whole exercise is for this piece. The last one to start as it will have to involve different kind of cutting-methods. While the head will need to be raised, the rest of the body needs to have only the ribs/lines raised.

So thats where I'm thus far

Now the basic cutting is done, I will sand it all the way to 2000 paper and then go back to do the mane, ear and other things that still need to be cut to make it a bit more presentable.

The snout is a bit too long for a horse, but following what I saw at the palm-piece (where I kept it even longer), I think it actually looks better having a snout more akin to a seahorse.

Miss-calculated the angle needed for a better appearance of the rips. Will need to find a way to correct that tomorrow.

And here is a quick iPhone-shot to have a comparison of the 3 unfinished pieces as they are right now.

OK, lets call it a day for the time beeing on this one.

Fantastic material, easy to work.

Tail will be added in time out of silver or gold.

4 x 3 cm 53 ct

OK, so here we go: my new all time favorite (have been wearing it already the whole week)  lol

Pawancawara Plume from Daniel, presumed a palm fossil. In any case, plumes of various kind within agate. 3 colors, 3 different harnesses.

And a closeup of the 3 layers

Next up, I need to find inspiration for a miner for Warren. A project that is long overdue.

In the meantime, I think I will have a try at those two

at 4 cm colour lenght, this is a purple monster

And this one is smaller but the colors are going to be eye candy

Lots of extra material on both, but don't know yet what to do with it. The second one does resemble somewhat a tail of a mermaid, so might give that a shot. One thing is sure, since I started looking at them with intend to carve, I do not want to just cut out the color any more. There is much more to be had in those things.

Next up was the mermaid:
I started a new chapter on Fire Agates. I finally found a way and the confidence to look at Fire Agate as a stone, not only at the fire. So instead of just cutting out the fire, I want to include the non-fire areas into a composition. No-one really wants the chalcedony  dunno , yet I find the resulting colors and combinations quite attractive.

Here is the stone and the first cuts that started this project.

Mermaid was the first idea as the tail-section lend itself to it.
At first I thought she would look good doing a backward flip, which would have made access to the body easier. But then I saw the natural form of arms coming down between color and white parts and it became clear that the whole body is already basically there and only head and hair are going to be white.

One thing lead to another, and I finally saw the lower part that could be turned into a fish of sorts.
In the end I got a reasonable dolphin out of it. As the white chalcedony is anything but evenly thick, that was a **** I had to take.

Here we are now outdoors. In the shadows under a tree on a sunny day

And one more indoors. Room-lights during daytime

Can you find Neptune, watching her? saved2

Oh yeah nearly forgot, got this wonderful material yet again from Christopher and its Mexican coming in at 26 x 20 mm, so its practically one square inch.

After basically finishing the FA mermaid, I had also finished another FA much better to my liking. Yet kept it off the forum just to see how the mermaid would be received.

Simply because finally I got something to show that makes all the practice of the last few years worthwhile.

Started out as a Gypsy woman with headscarf, but then messed up the face somehow and turned into a guy. Anyhow, after the sex-change, lets call him "Magi"

And the eventuall finished pics as worn these past two weeks.

Lets see if that video works
http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/kainzerkurt/media/carvings%202012/carving%202013/summer%20carving%202013/DSCN0255_zps12d8d10a.mp4.html

Mexican Fire Agate 30 x 20mm

I re-sanded the mermaid as the pictures showed some crummy corners and edges. It looks much better now.

Remember this one?

While re-sanding, I saw a possibility to improve the overall look. While the plumes lock fantastic by themselves I did not like the overall shape.
Saw a mermaid in the cab, but also a possible face with headdress. As Southern Magi, needed a companion and I need a lot more practice doing faces, I went for the woman.

Looks pretty young, so leave it up to me to mess that up ant turn it into someone much more mature. saved2

Its close to finish now. Eye needs more cleaning up, other than that its cut and polished.  Front and back.

Finished outdoor

Finished indoor

Now that that is done,  I will set myself up to either go boom or bust. Just cut a slice of this quartz a few days ago. looks good, its not as clean as it appeared from the outside. Could not see those feathers before cutting. But now, I want to try something entirely different (for me). Might either go very quickly, or take the whole month, but will be a whole new challenge. Fun to look forward to.

Recently, I saw a very attractive picture of a moth sitting on a branch at night.

Naturally, being me, I had to mess up the simplicity and give it a branch in front too.

The original idea was carving on both sides, but by then it became clear that its not that easy to get the visual effect of having the moth sitting on that branch at the back. So I consulted with DebbieK and (some of you might still know him) August Voss. Both had some very helpful advise.

So today, I erased the moth in front and started experimenting with the moth from the other side.  Needed to see what I'm doing, so I polished it up yet again. That's when I did not head the most important advise that Debbie gave me.

Allowed the stone to become just a bit too hot on the leather, and a feathered inclusion turned into a fully-blown fracture. Does not  show on the surface, but goes right through the stone and off course, had to be right through the moth.

Not giving up just yet. Erase the moth in the back, reshape and turn the branch into a tree.

OK, so its a week later and its basically done.

Lots of changes: Recut the overall shape to get rid of most of the fracture,

Instead of a moth its now a bat clinging to the side, and under the tree is now some tall grass in order to hide the strong remains of the feathers.

On finishing thus far, got one more surprise from the material. It has asterism and if cut right might produce a star. But I only got a dot moving around at the top as is, yet clearly out of alignment with a light-source.

Back and front.

Angles outdoors

So, now I need to go shopping for burrs in low grids to make the frosting at the back more visible and permanent.

Since posting the pics, the more I look at the pics the more unhappy I got with the overal shape. In hand, it does not look so bad, but the pics are horrible. There is an imbalance that I can't stand seeing. While my work is never perfectly balanced, this gotta go.

So as soon as I got home today, I removed the branch on the right completely and ..... we are back on track ......

And now for the final project before August is done with.

Lets call it "Angelic Protection"

While waiting to get to the shops to buy new burrs for frosting the quartz, I started a new project.

Cut this Thunderegg from Agate Creek in Australia, a few weeks back:
 dancer5 Thanks Allan. Its one of your wonderful pieces that you so kindly lugged all the way to Hong Kong. woohoo2 hugs32

At first I gave the third from the right a shot, by trying to turn it into a cab.
Did not like that look too much, plus I saw something at the back of it.
So I tried to cut of the table of the cab to thin it out for a possible carving.

As you can see in the following pictures, that separated solid agate from all the other unstable rest. Now at first I thought I can throw the whole thing away, but as it turns out it just enabled another project. Needed a second one so I went on to destruct all the pieces in the Thunderegg to get this pair.

I shaped the pieces this time first (something new for me), as I would like to keep it to as few cuts as possible. Here are the pieces as or right now.

Now the hardest part is still to come, fitting everything together and mounting on a background.
First fitting today:

The above is a mock-up of how I want it to fit together. Managed a flat back today, now I need to inlay it into a background. The right wing should be completely inlaid, and the left one needs to stand above the background at the wing-tip, yet only half buried at the top.

Best regards, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
Steve

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2013, 09:36:18 am »

Your imazination and skills just amaze me................You've come so far since I 1st saw your  art................ dunno

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

asianfire

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »

Thank you Steve, imagination is there, but need more practice to realize them.

It's getting harder to improve now due to planed subject-matter, and less motivation as there is the general sense of less outside interest.  dunno

Zero feedback on the current project in 24 hours (separate post, done before the update here), makes me wonder why to put together a presentation at all.

While those things are seasonal, this low level of interest has gone on for quite some time and as I'm pretty sure, that I can't have pissed of to many egos, it brings my whole being here into question.
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
Steve

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 06:04:44 pm »

Bah Humbug................I visit all your posts, although I very seldom do postings.  It is the same for all the regular posters here.  I really appreciate your and their participation in this Forum and the art that is accomplished.  I am here everyday and checking all the posts throughout the day, intermittently.  Yes, it is nice to get a response from time to time, it's goods for one's ego.  I enjoy those whenever I get them.  However, if you look at the number of views per post instead of the number of comments you will see that everyone is visited way more then visitors respond.  I saw your separate post for the winged figure.  I knew you would post it in your progression thread so that's where I posted.

I've been watching your progression in stone carving since you joined the Forum and for someone that has not done this before your progression has far surpassed anything that I have tried in the past.

Don't approach your art in the manner you reflected in your last post.  I do what "I" like when it comes to my art.  It cultivates my spirit and gives me the energy and further amazination to do even more.    You do the same............. yes

Report Spam   Logged

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

domdeslagons

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 09:14:14 pm »

Same for me I read all your post, but sometimes just don't have time to answer! I wish I didn't have to work so i could have more time for what is quite becoming a passion for me!!
It is always a joy to discover your project and what you are able to realize! i was given a little bit of quartz but I am really waiting to be skilled enough so I won't waste it!
I love the little " sea horse" and your quartz nearly looks like a Lalique! Great job!Please do carry posting!!!
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 09:05:18 am »

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Sorry, did not answer sooner, these past couple of days, actual work finally took off like a rocket as the schools suddenly want to squeeze is last minute summer-courses before school proper starts next week. Saw your responses on the phone, but that bloody thing is getting out-dated and lets me read posts, but not reply.

First, let me assure you that I have the utmost respect for everyone's work here, and I'm fully aware, and eternally grateful for all that I have received here through so many members.  I am a product of this Forum, as simple as that.

My occasional outbursts about participation comes mostly down to the sad fact that unlike many here, this forum or internet in general, is the only
opportunity to discuss anything related on this subject. So when it comes to high page-views, yet no remarks (good or bad), I often start wondering if I either upset someone, or have presented something so awkwardly misshapen that no-one dears to respond. The sum of work presented is not something that my mind allows me to consider, neither is the possibility of having gotten further in this hobby than others in the time spend. Every new piece, "Is the sum total" on its very own. 

So, from time to time my doubts get the better of me and I voice thoughts that might result in being seen in the wrong light.  I can assure you, its not an ego thing, I know my place. Its much more a case of having the need to get a rightful reminder, to get a life.  lol

Hence, while I like the second quote below, I'm obviously not yet ready to implement it the way it should be.

Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 09:12:15 am »

So, from time to time my doubts get the better of me and I voice thoughts that might result in being seen in the wrong light.  I can assure you, its not an ego thing, I know my place. Its much more a case of having the need to get a rightful reminder, to get a life.  lol

Dude, from my point of view you've got a GREAT life!  You are teaching the youth of Hong Kong; You have your beautiful family with you there; and the hobby you have chosen to pursue has produced some fantastic pieces................I know I've set one of them....................... dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

domdeslagons

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 05:52:27 pm »

I really LOVE the lily, it is an amazing piece of art.
May be one day I will try one myself but I am sure it won't be as nice as yours. It is as if the stone was made for it!!!AWESOME!!
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00:32 pm »

I think a lot of people look at your pieces and progression and are a bit overwhelmed with your energy and passion . Undoubtedly faces are a huge sticking point for artists especially profiles because many people are not shown to their best advantage in profile. I am going to go back to some old art books and see if I can find some of the old rules of proportion that are used in portraiture. If we all worked at advancing our skills at depicting the human face the results could be very exciting and rewarding .
  It is a very quiet time in the U.S. as we have in the back of our minds that the seasons are about to switch which means big changes for those of us in cold areas so we are trying to use up the good weather and not be indoors so much, something which could account for some lowered energy levels on the forum .
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »

I really LOVE the lily, it is an amazing piece of art.
May be one day I will try one myself but I am sure it won't be as nice as yours. It is as if the stone was made for it!!!AWESOME!!

No worries, when you see the design in your stone, it will be different, yet perfectly awesome for your own way.

P.s.: actually, to me, its far from perfect. There are still lots of areas that should be improved.  dunno lol
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2013, 10:08:43 pm »

This is sort of an aside but I saw a three dimensional calcedony carving of a Greek man's head many years ago on the cover of a book about stone antiquities and I can still see it clearly in my minds eye 30 years later. Carving to life is hard and risky but the  artistic rewards can be profound. Your work in three dimensions is very different from a cameo such as those being carved ultrasonically in Germany and despite the greater challenges I think that eventually you will find the rewards much greater than can be achieved in that two dimensional form.
Report Spam   Logged

kennyg

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:01 pm »

every time I look at your carvings I appreciate them more. The one thing I would like to see thought is turn the FA into a less abstract and more realistic I really think your detail is the essence of your carving. When I look at your faces I see ethnicity, hardship, sun dried skin ,wisdom and a rugged primitiveness to say the least in their faces. I feel that those pieces reflect your soul whereas the plain fire agate doesn't. Now that's my POV for what it's worth you are an excellent artiest .
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2013, 12:59:47 am »

Frank: Its a fun direction that I have taken and as it looks like I shall stay on this path for a long time to come. There is just sooooo much to try out. It seems nothing is ever perfected, as one moves on to the next enticing challenge.

I rant all the time about those who can do better than me, and those sharp images of the cameo-guys are most likely beyond my reach forever. But its something to look and work towards to.

Kenny: too much of a praise; but gladly taken.  saved8
First of all, because you are the first to give voice to something that I myself see in pieces like the Southern Magi. It might have been intended differently, but in the end its exactly those features that has me reserving this piece to be set in gold if/when I got the money.

As for abstract, FA will always be on the abstract side as the prime reason for working with it, is the fire/color. Carving is an addition and unlike some really good guys like Wendel, Matt or Rhyzard who carve over the colors, I have to be contend finding the color and then utilize the rest of it.

Report Spam   Logged

Iwannarock

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2013, 02:42:43 pm »

I hope I am speaking for all of the other lurkers here WOW!!!! yippie

I know myself I should chime in more times than I do and being a hopeful carver this winter, your work truly is inspirational and is getting me off the couch so to speak as my garage will be heated next week as that's where I'm planning to do my carving.

Please continue to post as we lurkers do appreciate the time and effort you put into your work and your posts even if we do not post our comments and appreciation.

So here's a hats off to you  hatsoff
Report Spam   Logged

member of Prairie Rock & Gem Society, Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website