General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 21, 2019, 08:30:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28  (Read 1923 times)
tntmom

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 01:52:50 pm »

Kurt,

I am so appreciative of you and your contributions to our forum.  You have grown so much and so fast in your art form that it is quite mind boggling to me.  You are becoming a master in carving in a blink of an eye.  I can't wait to see what you bring to us in 2013!!!

Best wishes to you in the new year my friend and thank you for always being here to inspire those of us that have yet to take the challenge of carving!!! yes yes yes
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

Rockrangers
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 07:22:07 pm »

Whoa!!!! So what's missing from that fire agate? Nothing by the looks of it. One of the best I have ever seen. :)
I think that's rather cool inserting facet gems.
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »

Thanks everyone, its been two years on the forum now; people come and go, some talk, some don't, but everyone deserves the credit for having raised me to where I am now. So, the need for gratitude goes out to everyone here.

Whoa!!!! So what's missing from that fire agate? Nothing by the looks of it. One of the best I have ever seen. :) 

Needs more color for my taste, as a starter. But yes I like it a lot. Best you have seen? I don't think so. There are absolutely fantastic pieces out there, and whats in private hands topping them all, ..........  boggles the mind......

Since I have been into them for a few weeks now, I have decided to continue working on a rather special piece that I was able to get a few years ago. So far it looks good and I hope to show you some pictures by the weekend that should bring tears to even hardened "opal-collectors".

In the meantime; got those two finished up (pics taken before 50K Diamond-paste):

And, my little light of the day. It's down to the last two sheets of color, so for a change, the back is all done too. (I usually have the habit of not forming the back until I know what I want to do with them).

Greetings, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
lonelygems

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 06:33:54 am »

Woohooo...! Very nice and stong green colour.... yes
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
Debbie K

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:24 pm »

Kurt:

I think they're both exceptional, but I agree with you, I like the green one too. You never know what you'll get with a fire agate, I carved on one for days but the orbs were so small and difficult to see it wasn't really worth it to go on. Someone recently gave me two that look really good, so I'll have to get to work on them after I finish my two current projects.

Good job!

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 09:02:18 am »

Thanks Debbie and David.

One more before posting some fireworks for the end of the year tomorrow. Got the pictures already, but want to wait and see if I can get some shots outdoors tomorrow.

In the meantime here is one more:

And here a link to all the best of December 2012 in one place.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bchallenge/sets/72157632262060035/
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
helens
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »

Wowowowow! What a FANTASTIC review for 2012!!!!

You ALMOST make me want to dig out my fire agates, the terrible time consuming things... LOL! I think I'll be working on the handful I have for years and years:P.
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:33 pm »

Time-consuming, they certainly are, but.......... once in a while,..... you get something really special.

Have no real use for them, yet I know, I will continue to chase material that prommisses to be better. Eye-balling the next one already.  yippie saved2 hugs32
Report Spam   Logged

lonelygems

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 11:51:50 pm »

More and more and much more better colour FA...... yes......carving FA is quite chalanging work, Happy New Year Kurt....wish you and your family a good health and prosperity... yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
asianfire

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 12:25:09 am »

So after starting with the Fire Agate section 2 years ago, I knew what I wanted to do with it as the shape lends itself very clearly for it.

What stopped me from executing it at the time was no knowledge of carving at all and the need for (Ohhh horror of it all) a face.

Last week, I finally brought myself to get started by saying to myself that a mask would do just fine. I still got some fragments left over from a Turkish Dendrite Opal and started out on a pure white section in order to give it max contrast to the Fire Agate.

Started with the eyes and then went south. Gave it a more rounded face on the left in order to follow the shape of the FA and the plan to set it at an angle looking to the right.

As it turns out my guesses where far from reality and at a final size of 10.5 mm its far to big to fit into the hollow space of the FA. Will have to reshape and use it for something else in the future.

So, I put that one aside and started on the FA itself on Monday. Somehow picking up another piece of opal; but this time slightly blue. First mistake was to allow a dendrite within the face. It turns out darker than expected, yet gives another dimension to the face.

Started this time with raising nose-tip and cheeks. So bottom up. Went very quick and had a reasonable face in no time.

Here are the pics along the way up until today at 7mm. For fitting, I will have to shave off another mm, that should run to exactly a quarter of an inch.

As the FA is not yet ready (sanding polish  certain parts drives me nuts), and we don't have the answer to the guessing game yet, we will need to wait till the weekend for that. chuckle

Best regards, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 06:16:38 am »

OK, i think I got pictures as best as I can get, so its time to move this project to a close here.

That's how it started and where the back/color side ended up

Rough monk

Trying for days, just to get one picture with stone and mirror-face "in-focus", but to no avail
Mirror play 1

Mirror play 2

Best shot: I found those mushrooms on the tree-stump that I'm using quite often as background. Did some angled shots with surprising results and like the "landscape"effect. Might be crowded for some viewers, but personally, I think it makes it easier to create meaning to the carving.

Like the angle, but color is somehow off, with the sun coming on too strong.

Consider this now the best for the time being

So now as I got the pictures, I can finally drill the hole from top to affix a bail and then combine everything permanently.

Have a great week, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

Eu_citzen
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:07 am »

I'm still in awe with the monk Kurt.. How tall does he stand?
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:13:51 am »

Thank you, the Fire Agate is exactly 40mm in height and at the widest 15mm.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:18 am »

I really like this one.....You did a great job and the last photos were really good.................. yes Great mushrooms also......
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

asianfire

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »

Thank you Steve,

Now lets see if I can use up some more FA for a dragonfly.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website