General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 18, 2019, 05:47:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: carvings 2013, December 2012 to end of December 2013 updated Dec-28  (Read 1923 times)
asianfire

« on: December 20, 2012, 09:11:25 pm »

Wow, another year has come and gone in a flash.

Lots of things have happened in the past 12 months and lots of things where learned through the help of so many.

So let me begin the start of this new tread by saying thank you to all the contributions that where made by so many members here. I could not have come this far with this hobby without your constant support and encouragement.

A special "Thank you" too to our administration, who not only rescued this site from obliteration, but continue to lend their time and effort in keeping it available to all of us.

Its scary to see the stats: Total time logged in: 58 days, 6 hours and 15 minutes. But it is a fun learning tool and despite of the time spend here, I still have not been able to see all there is to it, much less understand the technical side of it. bricks

For me, the year started off by trying to get the jump from simple lines into a bit more detailed objects. The "Honeycomb" set the style and path for the year.

Finally, this year we got ready for some collaborations: The one finished in February (?) was with Amanda. Who lend her gifted hands to my Polkadot Koy. Resulting into an immense piece that will suit very well as a poster-child, should I ever go out and try to exhibit or sell.

Two more collaborations are on their way, one where I know already that it will result into an absolutely fantastic piece with our superbly gifted Steve, and its finish is only hindered by the really slow snail-mail right now. And another piece in collaboration will literally result into a "Poster". A graphic artist from Poland, whom I met on another forum has asked to use the picture of one of my Fire Agates recently, to be used for a project of his. Apperantly he will use the Fire Agate as base-image, and then creates a world around it digitally. Will take awhile, but I'm really looking forward as to what he is up to.  saved1

In the mean-time, lots of subjects came along, but animal-themes certainly prevailed throughout

Human form and faces is something that I need to practice a lot

No matter if it is in form of guitars or otherwise. Looking back, something else crystallized out this year. It looks like I have a penchant for combining things (the guitar started it), and really like the results, even though the "Girl"and the "Owl" turned out too heavy to wear.

The Disdero, while I cursed the size at first, went on to become one of the best practice sessions for smaller pieces and due to my luck of having Helen send me just the right material for backing, resulted in some of the best visual appeals this year.

Cabs where not a priority this year, and from the ones that I did make I like those the best.

But lastly, I would like to list my favorite of them all; "Save" . So while a Fire Agate is in my Avatar, the carving representing my Journey for 2012 should be the Sleeping Angel.

Thank you all for a wonderful year, and looking forward to new adventures for the coming 12 months. Wish you all a great Holiday season, a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Here a link to all the pics  individually in one place:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bchallenge/sets/72157632327947278/

Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/

lithicbeads

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:51:18 pm »

thanks! That eye still mesmerizes , a true classic.
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:00 pm »

Thank you for sharing Kurt. You added a whole new dimension to this board when you joined. Your work has been a joy. Thank you Sir.
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 03:30:34 am »

You added a whole new dimension to this board when you joined.

Nahhhh, can't take credit for that. Just picked up (at a much lower skill level though) where Kenneth left us (have not seen him on the TCP either for quite some time, so if someone here is still in contact with him; please forward my best wishes and Greetings to him).  And luckily, we got a few very talented carving-artists on board since.

In short, its an interesting place to be, at an interesting time.  woohoo2 dancer
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
southerly

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 03:48:55 am »

Awesome work Kurt I love your fearless creativity and you prodigious productivity does my head in. Can't wait to see what you produce next year.

David
Report Spam   Logged
guest787
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:52:44 am »

I feel honored Kurt to have been included in your growth as a carver, and hope that you continue to grow and flourish in your work.   saved8
Report Spam   Logged
DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:32:55 am »

All I can say is...............................................AWESOME!!!!! yes     I love looking at your pieces of art!  Simply put.............AWESOME!!!! ura
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:40:01 am »

You have had a wonderful year playing with your stone.  I've enjoyed your threads and watching the pieces grow from blank stone into items of beauty.

Looking forward to the coming year's magnificence................ yes
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

asianfire

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:34:32 pm »

Thank you all, its been fun and despite of what people might see in the pieces, its always a two-way-street. The more interest people show, the harder one tries to improve on the next project.

There was a long pause of nearly a month, but I should be back with something to show within the next few days. Had lots of ideas, but nothing really tempted me until I saw a picture of a flower a couple of days ago. The bud still folded up, just before opening. Nice simple lines with some deep groves mixed in between.

My take on it is freestyle, and hence nothing even close to realistic. But I just want the flowing lines. I'm using Allens black/red material and got a few surprises on the way there too. Now sanding those grooves is a pain and will take a while, but I think I should be ready to show by 26th..

Best regards, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »

Kurt, a compendium of your work leaves me speechless! WOW
Thanks for your company with us!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Helene

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:52:23 pm »

You have a distinct style and I have enjoyed being a part of your carving journey.   Congratulations on a creative and productive year.
Report Spam   Logged

Hummingbirdstones

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 06:55:12 am »

Kurt, it's been a delight watching you bring your creations to life this year.  May this coming year bring you even more challenges and success in your carving adventures!
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
Bentiron

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 04:28:20 pm »

Kurt, just think, five hundred years form now you work will be highly sought after by collectors as a fine example of the stone carver art. This stuff is so good yippie
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:32:33 pm »

Kurt, just think, five hundred years form now you work will be highly sought after by collectors as a fine example of the stone carver art. This stuff is so good yippie

Thank you everyone, but looking at artists coming out of Russia these days, I doubt that my ability thus far would count for anything more than mere trinkets.

so lets get practicing to catch up to some measurement. saved2

First off this year is something that I reworked this past week. Was happy with it before, but now that I have been able to learn more about polishing, it looks that much better.

And first out the gate for this year (joined the forum early December, so that's how I count it  chuckle ), is something that Allen brought with him as he came to Hong Kong.

Its presumably Chert, and has hematite throughout, so what originally looked like a red and black mixture is now mostly red with a silvery sheen.

Did not manage a "Mirror" finish even on the rounded back, but looks like glazed porcelain.

Here is a mock-up of how I think this should be worn. I like the color contrast, but the weight of 104ct ( 68 x 29mm) for  the bead is a bit a worry in order to keep the balance.

Best regards, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

NuevoMundo

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:34 am »

Kurt,

I'd also like to chime in and express my appreciation for your art and all you share with us here on the forum! You really do add a new dimension to what is possible with stone, it is very inspiring.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website