Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 25, 2022, 07:38:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Obsidians Galore

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obsidians Galore  (Read 6784 times)
sodagar
« on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:49 am »

I think its rare  , whats your opinion ?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lavenderfish
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:11:47 am »

I think I love the color!! Wow

This is man-made, yes? I've seen some skulls, wands, & faceted blue obsidian on ebay that are represented as natural volcanic glass but have never been sure whether to believe that's true or not. I've never seen any source of it in rough form either.

Maybe you know more of its origin & can give us more information about it?

Either way, the color sure is stunning and I'd carve something from it for sure  :)
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:41:54 am »

The outer surfaces don't have the characteristic glassy conchoidial fractures. Your matrial seems to have a "powdery" look to it. The chips on the ground don't look right, either. It doesn't look like any of the Obsidian that I have ever seen.
Stunning depth of color, though.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

lapidarist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:13:32 am »

In this business I am always cautious.

The material looks like slag glass that has been rolling around smashing into each other.  If you have rough glass chunks and the smash and grind each other you get the powdery glass look as well as chips. Look for bubbles in the material, a lot of the slag glass has some bubbles; not all of it though.

I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The rock shops around here sell more slag glass than crystal. Kind of sad.

Blue Obsidian with that color and translucency would be very rare and demand a high price. You would have to prove the source of the mine or location. This material is too clean. I don't see any signs of matrix or influences of other materials. When people are selling faceting stones on eBay for $0.99, I can bet you it isn't of "natural origin".

I have some hemimorphite that is that color. Reminds me I need to look for it.

Report Spam   Logged
sodagar
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:46:00 am »

Ok now i am feeling embarrassed  :-[ ,
 I got it from Afghanistan , and  simply liked the Color  . I have taken its specific gravity , its 2.4 . Obsidian has Amorphous crystal structure , Conchoidal fracture is not visible in the picture  i know but i have faceted it and fracture is very much there .
 Yes bubbles are there , but natural Obsidian can also have gas bubbles.

Frankly now i am confused too its not man made that i know for sure but i think some more test are required .

According to  the book of  Frederick H. Pough    "  Once cut , they have the charm and brilliance of a bit of beer bottle , best to keep them as they are  found "

Report Spam   Logged
seth
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:11:29 pm »

I heard about some blue obsidian that came out of Mexico a ways back but it ended up being slag glass. If this material is real I would be surprised and also interested in some for carving.
Report Spam   Logged
Lavenderfish
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:52:24 pm »

Sodagar,

Have you cabbed or faceted any of this yet? I'm curious to see how they'll look  :)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 07:47:30 pm »

I am curious too.
Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:59:27 pm »

Add me to that list of curious ones!
Report Spam   Logged
sodagar
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 11:56:36 pm »

Yeh i have faceted it and also tried  to make one  cab out of it but i am not impressed with the result( Despite of soothing blue color ) .I will try to post some pictures of them .  Few days back my source told me about green variety but i simply  refused it   :( . 
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:45:54 am »

I did find this about:

THE CREEPY-CRAWLY, CREAMY-GREEN OBSIDIAN MINE

I did not know there was such a thing, but.........

On March 7, 2005, Pedro Fernández Somellera, Susy and John Pint  met with Phil Weigand and Rodrigo Esparza with the plan of visiting and mapping an obsidian mine that these two intrepid archaeologists had located. “Obsidian was normally mined from open pits on the surface, but the mine we found is completely underground and as dark as a cave. The reason they went to so much trouble is that the obsidian they were getting is of the highest quality and has a creamy, green luster to it which must have been highly valued.”

Report Spam   Logged
wywyrd
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:47 am »

lol maybe its fossilized vampire bat ...guano
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 10:27:33 am »

Here is a photo of Green Obsidian from Davis Creek in Northern California that I collected many years ago.

Here is a cab that I cut from it.

This doesn't show any of the transparency like the examples of "Blue Obsidian"
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 12:27:21 pm »

Wow... now that is beautiful Bob..

This green Obsidian must be a bit of a rarity ?

I would not mind getting a little of this?

Yours is truly green. Much greener than what is shown from the Obsidian mine link above. 
Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »

Bob, that is a spectacular cabochon!! I really like your work. Where is Davis Creek? There is a Davis Creek Park about 50 miles from where I live...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum