General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 06:23:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Ametrine question

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ametrine question  (Read 722 times)
Debbie K

« on: October 25, 2012, 08:32:38 am »

Okay, you faceters! I have a question regarding Ametrine.

How does the orientation of the color zoning affect the body color of the stone? For example, if the yellow is on top and the purple on the bottom, will the overall body color be purple? And would the converse be true? I have seen composite stones (tsavorite garnet imitations) that have red garnet above the girdle and green glass underneath whose body color is green; the red isn't apparent unless the stone is viewed from the side. Or should the stone be oriented with the color going from one side to the other?

I have some really pretty ametrine, not striking color, but absolutely eye clean and clear, and I would like to try to facet some of it, but would like to have the color be primarily the light yellow with the lavender flashes. I don't know quite how to approach a bi-color stone (of any stone, for that matter) to facet it. I have a first edition Graves (I think it almost qualifies as an antique) with enough laps to get in trouble and access to GemCad.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Debbie
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:08 am »

Amethyst is a much better source of purple , cheaper and not muddy brown as can be the case with ametrine . Ametrine that has a sharp delineation of colors is usually oriented exactly as the colors are in a bi-colored tourmaline. These stones are usually cuts that are quite a bit longer than they are wide. Color mixing  can be very beautiful but these cuts are more difficult and work best with saturated colors.
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:00:39 am »

I was more interested in getting the yellow color with the lavender flashes. A bi-colored tourmaline can only be cut one way; as if you cut it with the C axis on top all you'd see is black. I think I may have a little more flexibility with a quartz? I don't know, which is why I'm asking. I spoke to a friend with limited faceting experience; the best we could come up with is to try both ways and see which looks better. I hate to waste a stone experimenting, but it might be the only way to figure it out.

I have about 8 that I can mess around with; most of them around 100cts in the rough. They're too big to facet at this size, maybe the answer is to cut one in half and try it both ways.

Thanks for your suggestions, and please help with any more. As you can tell, I don't know what I'm doing.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Eu_citzen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:27:06 am »

Orientation is everything with colour zoned rough.
I had a very light amethyst which I oriented wrong, trigonal colour zoning.
The orientation was not wrong by a lot, but still it didn't sit well in the culet.
While rotating it goes from light purple to colourless.

Would you mind sharing some pics of the rough?

Personally I'd try to put the colours side-by-side rather then one colour over the other, if the rough allows. Maybe a rectangular cut would be optimal.
Report Spam   Logged
gemfeller

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:32:39 pm »

Hi,

I think you need to be careful in choosing a faceting design as well.  The best separation of colors can probably be achieved with a standard emerald cut.  I tried a rectagular Barion design on this one, hoping the "fountain of light" effect would create something unusually interesting. It yielded an attractive stone with the face-up colors pretty well blended while viewing from each end shows the separate amethyst and citrine hues.

Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:51 pm »

Willie:

So sorry I didn't see your post; I will dig out the ametrine in question and try to get a picture of it. The colors are not dramatic at all, pretty pale.

I saw a faceted ametrine which had solid lavender body color and yellow flashes which was outstanding-looking on a website or ebay a while ago. I just wondered how it was achieved.

Gemfeller:

Really beautiful stone! You oriented yours with the colors on either side; the one I saw looked like it was cut the other way. I just wondered how they achieved the look they did, lavender with yellow flashes. It almost looked like a color shift stone.

I'm so glad this post got revisited, maybe it'll make me take the plunge and do something with these stones!

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Eu_citzen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:32 pm »

An ordinary stepcut is a really good bet for any ametrine of bi-colour gem. :)
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 07:19:40 am »

Willie:

I've LOST the ametrine! That's what happens when you have too many rocks! I've turned the studio upside down and I must have put it in a "special" place because it's no where to be found.

If I locate it, I'll take a picture and ask you guys advice on what to do.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Eu_citzen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:12 am »

Oops! I know that feeling. I keep my rough in a boxe and plastic bags since I lost several opals. hide
Report Spam   Logged
39don

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:20 am »

Willie:

I've LOST the ametrine! That's what happens when you have too many rocks! I've turned the studio upside down and I must have put it in a "special" place because it's no where to be found.

If I locate it, I'll take a picture and ask you guys advice on what to do.

Debbie K

I also  have many "Special Places" and when I find it or them it's going to be like Christmas. I hope I find them before it's too late. bricks

39don
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

I always find my "lost" stuff when I'm looking for something else. The message is look for something else and you will find the lost stuff.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website