Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
August 03, 2020, 05:14:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Drilling problem solved

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drilling problem solved  (Read 1010 times)
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:59 am »

Jack I think Ron (The Image) showed us a water drip he had custom made for his drill press one time.
I will look to see if I find it for you.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 07:41:01 am »

Ron (The Image) used to take our breath away with his teachings. I wish he had time to hang out with us more.
I found it Jack:)

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,5661.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
jackd
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 07:48:06 am »

I think I will try as David suggested with a pan and drill under water. Sara, I forgot I do have a water drip from Kingsly North, its on a elevated stand it cost about $35.00, I'll have to try that too.
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 07:49:35 am »

Most burs are "bonded" rather than plated or brazed.  Bonded sounds more impressive than "glued".  Any drilling should be done with stone submerged.  Use a pecking motion, touching the drill to the stone and raising.  You should see powder rising each time you raise the bit.  This allows water to fill the hole providing cooling.  If you bear down non stop the powder packs around the bur preventing cooling and overheating the glue that holds the diamond on.  This may be more important with square top wire drills than ball burs but cooling can't hurt.
Report Spam   Logged
mick B

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 07:59:35 am »

Jack, good to see your drilling is working better now, one option with the water is one of the pressure spray bottles you pump up, you could attach this to your drill so you don,t have to spray by hand, I have attachments that hold both my dremel and my pencil grinder in my mill drill,  drilling under water will increase the bit life, but may limit your vision. There is an attachment called a water swivel, these are used on core bits and water is fed directly down the core.
One way of increasing the bit life is to use a up and down method, drill for 2 seconds and lift for 1, this helps to clear the grit from the bit, light pressure should be used.
Report Spam   Logged
jackd
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 08:07:45 am »

Mick, thanks for the tips, I think I wore the diamonds off by exerting too much pressure and overheating it. 
Report Spam   Logged
Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:50 am »

David, thanks for the info on different size shanks on drill bits, looked on-line for better bits and found it - will help me much. 
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:16 am »

THANK YOU!  Just ordered one!  Amazon - $241.61 free shipping! ura ura yippie yippie

Didn't dawn on me to look there.  tks

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 11:02:08 am »

Ron (The Image) used to take our breath away with his teachings. I wish he had time to hang out with us more.
I found it Jack:)

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,5661.0.html

Hey SOS thanks much.  I have been trying to come up with something better than my swamp cooler motor in a bucket of water....it works but not as good as I think it should.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

jackd
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:01 pm »

Mick, and Sara thanks for Ron's link, I like the garden sprayer idea. That just gave me an idea, why can't I cut install a tee in my Cab King water line with a inline valve and a poly tube to drill press?
Report Spam   Logged
Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »

http://www.lopacki.com/howto/

I thought this web page had good info on drilling beads. 

Also, if you want to polish the bead hole do you just redrill with a finer diamond bit and if so what grit.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 07:54:24 am »

Yes and thanks to Ron.  oops

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

jackd
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »

The Proxxon mimi drill press is made in Germany

http://www.handandpowertoolshop.com/proxxon_m4011.html?ppc=1763&af=1763&s_kwcid=proxxon%20tools|10193395503&gclid=CJ-HxYHB1a8CFQ7CtgodbxN6bw
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 05:50:20 am »

I've been in a hotel room for the past six days and have three days left.  Like you, been drilling a hole about 7 mm deep and has already taken me 45 minutes and only 2/3 through.  Read your tip this morning and drilled threw a thinner agate with a 2mm ball drill bit and it took me about 12 minutes.  I did it with the dremel tool I brought with me.  The only problem is the shank widens and you can only go about 3mm into the stone.  I turned it over and drilled threw the other side to drill the hole all the way threw.  I will look to see if you can buy one that does not widen.

I do this by putting the bit in the tool, turn it on (fast) and dressing the shank (you have to leave enough exposed to access) with an old diamond file. Presto - upper part of shank dressed down to same size or a hair smaller than the ball.

I've done the same same with other shaped tips that are smaller than the shank w/out problems. I use cheapie bits - if you're using high enders you might want to mull this over first.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:41 am »

I've been in a hotel room for the past six days and have three days left.  Like you, been drilling a hole about 7 mm deep and has already taken me 45 minutes and only 2/3 through.  Read your tip this morning and drilled threw a thinner agate with a 2mm ball drill bit and it took me about 12 minutes.  I did it with the dremel tool I brought with me.  The only problem is the shank widens and you can only go about 3mm into the stone.  I turned it over and drilled threw the other side to drill the hole all the way threw.  I will look to see if you can buy one that does not widen.

I do this by putting the bit in the tool, turn it on (fast) and dressing the shank (you have to leave enough exposed to access) with an old diamond file. Presto - upper part of shank dressed down to same size or a hair smaller than the ball.

I've done the same same with other shaped tips that are smaller than the shank w/out problems. I use cheapie bits - if you're using high enders you might want to mull this over first.

Oh -- thanks so much for that tip.  I was going to buy some pricier bits, but feel the Lockpi bits work well for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum