Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 23, 2017, 03:32:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Stacking rock storage boxes

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stacking rock storage boxes  (Read 962 times)
mossyrockhound

I dig rocks.

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:28:11 pm »

I've been having fun filling my stacking rock boxes.  I was asked to show the design, so here goes:

The dimensions for an 8" high box:

Front view:

Back view:

Bottom view:

Group of stacked boxes:

Some still sitting by the wood stove to dry out the glue:

I stack my boxes on concrete with some asphalt shingles on the floor first so the boxes don't absorb too much moisture.

Hope this helps.
Report Spam   Logged

~ Garry ~
All is not in vein, but most of the good stuff is.

Social Buttons

spirit bear beads
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:37:34 pm »

Thank you! woohoo2

Dave you see this?
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:15:01 pm »

Wow, another project on my list!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »

Wow!  Nice way to store those rocks.  A little envious that you have enough material to fill those up.  Myself I might be able to fill one of those boxes.  So sad.
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:03:37 pm »

So Easy, a Cave Girl can do it....   lol  My Grandson and I built 5 boxes today.  Plan on building 5 or 6 more tomorrow.  ura
Report Spam   Logged
mossyrockhound

I dig rocks.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »

I'm glad you are having success with these boxes, Mia.  I forgot to mention that at about box#100 I started using 2-inch brads instead of wood screws - they went much faster when I started using my air-nailer with the 2-inch brads.  When the Titebond II wood glue dries it won't matter what type of fasteners you use - they will be plenty strong.  I shouldn't take credit for making all these though - I hired a young man to help  me and after I showed him how to make them, he really went to town and made the majority of them.  Also, almost all the wood was free - I went to a construction site and asked if I could have their scrap plywood and OSB and they gladly gave it to me so they wouldn't have to haul it away in the dumpster.
Report Spam   Logged

~ Garry ~
cre84u
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:44:37 pm »

Gary, Thank You so much for posting this.
I have been wondering what to do with all the rock.

I have been looking at shelving units but they were very expensive.
My son is a plumber and works new homes so I am sure he can get me enough scrap wood.
This should work really well.

Thanks for going to all the trouble.
Really appreciate it.

Report Spam   Logged
christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 11:14:55 pm »

These are like the ones Woody makes. Seem to be a good design.

I have two questions...why no glue on the front? I am a carpenter and feel I should know this but I just can't figure it out. Is it only so if need be the box can be opened up from the front by removing the screws?

The other question is, what is the degree of the angle for the front? Is it a 45 or 22 1/2?
Report Spam   Logged

mossyrockhound

I dig rocks.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:26 am »

These are like the ones Woody makes. Seem to be a good design.

I have two questions...why no glue on the front? I am a carpenter and feel I should know this but I just can't figure it out. Is it only so if need be the box can be opened up from the front by removing the screws?

The other question is, what is the degree of the angle for the front? Is it a 45 or 22 1/2?

Christopher, My boxes are quite a bit different than Woody's boxes, but both serve the same purpose.  Here are my scientific answers to your two questions:
   1) (re: no glue on the front) There is no glue on the front because that is the last piece to fit in during assembly and if you glue it, it just smears off on the sides when you slide it into place.  I actually did glue some of the fronts after they were assembled, but it just didn't seem to make any difference.

2)  (re: what is the correct angle for the front piece?) There is no set angle.  The main concern is that the opening between the boxes (when they are stacked up) is large enough to get the biggest rock that you have in the box out (putting big rocks in there would defeat the purpose of having the sloped fronts).  We tried quite a few different angles and an angle of around 35 degrees seemed to be best (but we never got sophisticated enough to measure the angle).  What we did is pick the height of the front piece that seems about right and fit it between the two sides with the top of the front just touching the front of the sides.  Then make another one just like it and stack them together and evaluate if the opening between them is right for your needs (a box for small "tumblers" doesn't need as large an opening as a box for larger chunks).  Since the fronts aren't glued, you can remove and replace the front piece until you get the size opening you want.  The beauty of the box I show in this post is that all the pieces are the same size and the opening turns out pretty much good for anything you might want to put in your saw (or tumbler). 
Report Spam   Logged

~ Garry ~
christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 02:10:01 am »

Thank you Garry.  yes
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:25:14 pm »

I'm glad you are having success with these boxes, Mia.  I forgot to mention that at about box#100 I started using 2-inch brads instead of wood screws - they went much faster when I started using my air-nailer with the 2-inch brads.  When the Titebond II wood glue dries it won't matter what type of fasteners you use - they will be plenty strong.  I shouldn't take credit for making all these though - I hired a young man to help  me and after I showed him how to make them, he really went to town and made the majority of them.  Also, almost all the wood was free - I went to a construction site and asked if I could have their scrap plywood and OSB and they gladly gave it to me so they wouldn't have to haul it away in the dumpster.
Thanks for the ideas Garry.   I don't have an air nailer, but I can see where it would make assebly even faster.    I used scrap OSB from my shop to build them and had a whole jar full of sheet rock screws and some wood glue so, cost was nil....  but now I am going to haunt construction sites for more wood. yes

I also just 'eyeballed' the angle for the front piece.  It's kinda like, "well if the rock fits"! ura
Update, 10 boxes built, stacked and filled...  Oh I need at least 10 more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:08 am »

Wow!  Nice way to store those rocks.  A little envious that you have enough material to fill those up.  Myself I might be able to fill one of those boxes.  So sad.

Well I could fill 10 maybe, but nothing near what they filled.  Wouldn't it be nice.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
spirit bear beads
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

Well I could fill 10 maybe, but nothing near what they filled.  Wouldn't it be nice.

TOG

Yes, well when you buy the entire contents of a Rock shop and have DAVE for a role model.  It ain't hard....   Bet Dave could fill 100 too.
And then there is Dean...  omg
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:47 pm »

Yeah, Dean has about 50 foot of those behind his shop. They came from another rock auction, and Dean immediately filled them!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:14 pm »

thanks guys. sure wish I had seen these before I made mine. I will have to make them like yours. so much better than mine.
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:16 am »

Great concept:) Love all the rocks:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
spirit bear beads
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 09:40:14 am »

Yeah, Dean has about 50 foot of those behind his shop. They came from another rock auction, and Dean immediately filled them!
For those of you who don't know Dean (slabber) his back yard is like, FULL of rocks.  Kinda what I envision Tony's yard to look like!   bricks
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: