Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 28, 2017, 11:51:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Cutting a really good girdle

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting a really good girdle  (Read 978 times)
bgast1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 11:05:19 am »

I went back and read my book and looked at the pictures. Turns out that the way I cut my cabs I do indeed get a girldle automatically. The only difference is that I do not mark a girdle line around the side. I most always end up with nice edges but I think that my cabs might look better in the end if I rounded the edges more.
Report Spam   Logged

Auntie Rocks
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 11:20:28 am »

I learned silversmithing and stone bezel setting long before I learned how to cut cabs and cut my freeform stones with those lessons in mind. The flat girdle bevel at about 10 degrees, the bottom bevel at 45 degrees and a buff top are the cleanest and most problem free stones to set.
Report Spam   Logged
bgast1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 11:27:40 am »

What I do with all of my cabs is cut a 10 degree to 15 degree bevel all the way down the side of the cab. I also cut about a 45 degree bevel on the back side or bottom of the cab. I try to insure that I have a perfectly symmetrical dome on the cab. Some domes are higher than others but they are also even all the way around the cab.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 12:09:46 pm »

Bob, I'm with you on the symmetrcal dome. Have been working on these two turquoise cabs. The first one is what I strive for, and the second is down right ugly. Both will be set in silver and we'll see how they turn out then.

The second one is on a 10 penny nail, so it is small and soft, which equals for me really hard to do.
I also like the rounded top edge!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

bgast1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 01:10:58 pm »

Dave, it's the Turquoise. I've only cabbed it once and had a tough time with it. I have some Sleeping Beauty Turquoise but most of it is too small to cab. I have been thinking about getting some Turquoise large enough to cab though. I really like the looks of that Sleeping Beauty though.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »

Bob, I'm with you on the symmetrcal dome. Have been working on these two turquoise cabs. The first one is what I strive for, and the second is down right ugly. Both will be set in silver and we'll see how they turn out then.
The second one is on a 10 penny nail, so it is small and soft, which equals for me really hard to do.
I also like the rounded top edge!

Dave, it's the Turquoise. I've only cabbed it once and had a tough time with it. I have some Sleeping Beauty Turquoise but most of it is too small to cab. I have been thinking about getting some Turquoise large enough to cab though. I really like the looks of that Sleeping Beauty though.

When doing small turquoise I'll get them down to pretty much the shape I want on my wheel up to 400 grit and then polish them up with either Zam or Fabuluster.  Then I'll take a good look at the symatry, flat spots, etc and go to hand sanding, usually with wet 400 grit wet/dry sand-paper to balance it out and smooth any flat stuff.  I might hit it with 600 grit also then back to the polishing wheel.  Turquoise can be tough, especially small stuff because it is on the softer side.............
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 01:35:51 pm »

Thanks Steve! Great idea, I've never thought of hand sanding turquoise.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

pete
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 02:24:34 am »

If I'm cutting a normal to high dome, I don't worry about the setting bevel. Usually only on very low domes and flat tops do I think about the setting and try to cut its bevel between about 5 to 25 degrees. The back bevel I always aim for 45 degrees but it's depth depends on the stone dimensions and the type of bezel that might surround it. Enough at least to allow for my dubious soldering jobs on the bezel!
Report Spam   Logged
anthonyroman
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:50 am »

The pattern on the petrified wood seems quite fascinating! All the pieces are eye-catching and really pretty.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: